My dog is OBSESSED - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

My dog is OBSESSED

I have a border collie about 5 years old..her name is sissy...and she is so obsessed with mainly my gerbil and hedgehog somewhat. She spends the whole day starring at the cages and whines and drools and will not do anything unless we yell at her to move. Even when lexie is sleeping and isnt doing anything she stands on her hind legs and just will not do anything. I call lexie baby girl alot and if Sis is in the other room and hears me say baby girl she runs in my room and starts starring and bouncing. What should I do about this obsession?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

is she obsessed with possibly eating them? Move the cages to another room where she cant have access to them, out of sight, out of mind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

She has never tried to do anything and when I have sonic out she just watches him and if he walks towards hers she moves backwards and wont let him get too close..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Part of the Pack

She sounds worried. I would probably put the cages in another room as Skratikans said.

Pets are always your friend no matter what.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Leo

She is a herding breed. A breed that NEEDS a job to do, she probably feels her job is to watch those cages/critters. It is not uncommon for a dog that is bored to get fixated/obsessed with things. My dog Gunner (who is 1/2 border collie) has obsession issues when he is bored, he will get fixated on the squirrels outside. If I let him he would sit at the back door and bark/whine for hours. This usually happens when I don't give him a 'job' to do.

Is she food motivated? If so try stuffing a Kong with peanut butter or yogurt and food and treats and then putting it in the freezer overnight, this is the 'job' I give Gunner everyday, it distracts him from squirrels and other things he obsesses about. Just make sure if you give her the Kong's that you are subtracting the food she is getting in the Kong from her regular food.

Another tip would be to get her involved in some type of activity like agility or fly-ball, even going for long walks/runs with her could help the issue... Remember A tired dog is a good dog!

Good Luck!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 12:04 AM

better to put the cage in other room.. we have a war dog before and he always kill rats...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

You know what Leo...I NEVER thought of that..when we had the horses hear she was obsessed with them and she would try to heard them sometimes esp when they got out...and she does the same thing at the pond with the fish...thanks!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Leo

They do have herding competitions available... there are A LOT of different activities you can do with a border collie... How about frisbee?

2 other things I have found effective:
-Chuck-it ... this is the greatest invention ever for the ball motivated dog.
-My ATV... I will go out on my ATV and run it around the yard, Gunner LOVES to chase me around this is a FAST way to tucker him out (I don't go that fast so I am careful not to hit him and he follows me I do not chase him).
-If you don't have an ATV you could always put the Rollerblades on and take her for a walk that way (my brother in law does this with their dog).
-Obedience training... whenever I am in an obedience class with my dogs they are always less OCD, because I am always getting new ideas of how to entertain them. I have repeated obedience classes, just for something fun to do with the dog, and I still learn something new every time, $100 for 8 weeks of training is pretty cheap to have your dog not annoying you.

I would move the cages until you figure out a new 'job' for her... she more than likely doesn't want to eat them, but just wants to herd/protect them unfortunately that is usually done with a protective nip which could do a lot of harm to a smaller animal.

Post a picture of her if you get the chance.

Last edited by Leo; 07-10-2008 at 09:27 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Ive never seen her nip at these 2 but i have seen her nip at the horses...I am with her in my room when she is watching them and i dont let her get up high enough to mess with the cages she just watches from the floor...but I will def see about finding her something to do...She loves frisby and me hitting a tennis ball with the baseball bat but its too hot for her to do that stuff right now..But...Heres a pic of her and Sonic outside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cedar point, baseball, and sonic 051.jpg (67.2 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What a cutie! We had border collie at my horseback lessons place when I was younger and it used to herd the kids around.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Leo

She is a cutie !

A fun activity I sometimes do in the house when it is to hot or cold out is:
Sit on an office chair
Lower or raise chair level according to your dogs height
Hold onto a rope toy (get the dog interested in the rope)
SPIN and let the dog chase the rope toy around in circles.

It is fun for both the owner and the dog... I will sometimes get spinning so fast that I get really dizzy, then I have to spin the other way until I get dizzy... I usually end up laughing on the floor with my kids because they think it is hilarious to watch me spin on the chair and have the dogs chase me. My dogs LOVE this game.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Lol I used to do that..but then i moved away for school and got rid of my chair and stuff...so ya..but it was def alot of fun