my dog pulls me. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

my dog pulls me.

hey everyone you see the pix next to me thats my dog "Jin" he's half pitt and my little kitten is "Tamia" i had her for only couple of days. But yaey anyways when i take my dog for a walk he will automatically pulls me and i would say no or i would stop walkin but nothing helps so i would have to just run with him until he gets tired and then he'll start to chill cause he's all outtah breath and thats like 20mins after ward then we can finally walk. I want to know is there any better way i can walk with him without him pulling my arms out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 07:13 PM

have you tried a Halti or a Gentle Leader? It goes around the head *but it's not a muzzle* They use them to train dogs for loose leash walking
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&sa=N&tab=wf
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

no, i have never tried that yet but i do have a leash that wraps his front underarm leg and his body but this leash only works some of the times i will try to go buy the one your talking about but i just have a feeling that my dog is not going to like it? but thanks for helping me out i appreciate it have a nice day....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:29 AM

Prong collars for our dogs worked miracles!! We can actually have a nice walk with full control. At first I thought they were barbaric-looking, but after a while, Greg convinced me, and boy am I glad!! The girls get excited when they see their collars come out cuz they know what they mean...WALK TIME!! Combined, my dogs outweigh me, but with the prong collars, I can walk both of them on a split lead with full control, even if a squirrel runs right in front of their noses (which happened a couple of weeks ago!) Good luck...I know it's not fun to come home from a walk with your arms more sore than your legs!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

first of all... welcome!

you need to teach your dog to heal. this can be a slow process, but it really depends on the dog. start by walking your dog in the house on the leash. this way there are less distractions. what you want to do is get him right by your left side and take one small step. as he steps with you, say "heal". if he stops when you stop, give him praise or a small treat. then take another step. repeat this process until you can work up to take multiple steps in between treats/praise. then take it out into the backyard and do all of this over again. then move into the front yard. then on the sidewalk, etc...
if the dog pulls you, do NOT take a step. do not let the dog pull you. this only negates the entire point. pull the dog back to your side and start over.
each training session should be only about 15 min. long so that the dog doesn't get discouraged. and always end on a good note. then have a play session or something like that so that the dog thinks that learning to heal is fun!
gentle leaders are great tools, but i would try to teach her how to heal first. personally, i don't think that prong collars should be used unless in an extreme situation.

good luck! let us know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 12:38 PM

I agree with teaching heal, or either prong collars. We use the prong collars on Denali, because she pulls so hard and is so strong, but its in their blood to pull, so my mom doesn't want take it out of them. Just curb it a bit. The prong collars look 'cruel' but their not. They just apply even pressure around the neck, and believe it or not, the 'chain' collars can do much more damage than these can. They don't hurt the dog as long as they are used properly. I put it around my leg just to give it a try, and it doesn't hurt, its just annoying LOL But good luck. I would deffinetly teach heal though!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 12:47 PM

Something to always remember any type of training collar is just that. You still need to work on training either heel or loose leash walking. Collars are only tools to help along the way.
I am a disabled person and train my own service dog, I use operant conditiong and a clicker to help. There are many ways to work with pulling but a great way is to carry the little treats and each time the dog comes to you or woalks with you give a treat. IT all takes time but you will see improvement. You can pm if you would like more help.

Good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:01 AM

you should phase out your prong color after 2 years at the most, they are not ment to be a perm. solution at all, just a training aid, the same as a choke chain....
If after a year or so, the dog doesn't behave without the prong, then you haven't trained him properly, and should try sending him to a positive reinforcement based training program.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:24 AM

First off, before you go get a prong collar, many dogs don't need them. Set the harness you described you had aside and go get a choke collar...not a thick one either but one you would use for a medium size dog. When you put it on, make sure it is all the way up under the chin and you have it on so that when he pulls, it closes around his neck. When your dog begins to pull, it will "choke" him and he will soon learn not to pull. We did this with BOTH our pitties and did it with foster pits that were abused with prong collars and were scared of them. I don't have a problem with prongs if they are used correctly, but many people don't know how to properly use them and cause tramatic problems for their pets.
Also, you need to take him to at least basic obedience classes. I always recommend it to pitbull or pitbull mix owners. They will not only help you to teach your dog, but they will teach you how to properly use the training tools available. In my opinion, if you don't have to resort to a prong collar, it is best, although bully breeds are notoriously stubborn and it may come to that. Used as a training tool only and never keep a choke or prong collar on the dog when he isn't on a leash, these products do work wonders, but I recommend trying the choker first. Let us know how things are going!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 10:39 PM

Training collars can save your arm!!

When we got Gryphon, we were having behavioral problem, still are in some areas, and he is so strong that we got the pronged training collar again. He can pull my husband in his mobility scooter . I also got some books on the matter. What I read gave me some insight on things. It said that a quick upward jerk on the lead when he gets to rambunctious was very similar to how his mother would have corrected him while with her. Also do not let him mouth the lead, this is how puppies establish pecking order in the litter, so allowing him to mouth the lead will give him a bit of one up man ship. I don't care for the "choke collars", the dog will pull until he actually crushes his wind pipe.

Gryphon has pulled one stunt that has him so that Jack (seven years old) can't hold the lead. Gryphon will watch till Jack is not paying complete attention, turn, grab part of the lead so that the collar won't work, yank it out of his hand and play tag trying to get him back under control. I'd say "dumb dog", but if he is so dumb, than how come we are running after him looking like fools. I swear that he is laughing at us the whole time .

I hope this helps some.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 04:24 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I have a friend who owns a massive Newfoundland and she uses the Gentle Leader. She swears it's the best thing she ever bought to get Ita to stop from yanking her arm off. Ita KNOWS heel, but she's still very young and her attention span isn't good yet, so the Gentle Leader is there to help "remind" her.

As for Kirby the Samoyed, he's an arctic sled doggie, so he feels he should be able to pull and get away with it! For him we use a collar that is a combination between a regular collar and a chain collar and the "snap-release" method for when he really starts pulling too much. The part of the collar that goes around the front of the neck and most of the sides is nylon (woven) but the very top is like a chain (choke) collar. I looked on the Foster & Smith website but saw nothing like it. If anyone wants a picture of it, just ask.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Tags
bully breeds