my dog is so sad - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

my dog is so sad

My dog cooper lives with my parents on our farm. Well he lived with our other dog hunter who was a 10 year old yellow lab that has always had health problems.

For the last yearish Hunter went downhill he had arthritis bad and lost alot of weight, they were giving him a shot every morning so he could walk, but ended up getting bedsores anyway

They went out of town this weekend and decided i couldn't take care of hunter so they put him to sleep. It really was his time, it was just hard for my mom to finally make the decision. It's sad but okay because it really needed to be done, they had done everything they could to keep him alive as long as possible but he was begining to look sad and throw up in stead of happy and lazy.

anyway..... now my dog is alone, and he looks so sad, he runs around the house barking at all the windows when you go to play ball with him he plays some but looks uninterested.

My mom has been very set in having no more dogs, but now she has kind of changed her ideas and is thinking about getting him a friend.

my dog doesn't do the best with other dogs, so it will be hard to find the right one but we will be looking.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I'm sorry to hear about both your dogs. I hope Cooper finds happiness soon

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Leo

I'm so sorry for your loss...
It might take a few weeks for him to stop searching for Hunter... encourage your mom to spend extra one on one time with Cooper, giving him the attention he might be needing during this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

she spends lots of time with him, its just he is very active and very smart, most of his time was spent taking care of hunter, he would wake him up and make him get out of his dog house and make him go for walks and make him eat. we even caught him throwing toys to him, bringing him his dog bone and everything.

when my mom would come home he would stick his head in hunters dog house and bark (hunter was hard at hearing at the end) until hunter would stick his head out and slowly get up to greet her.

she has decided she will get him another dog to have and play with

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Will It Ever Change?

aww those are sweet stories of cooper and hunter! i'm glad she's going to get him another dog. he seems very sweet and smart and i'm sure he'd love the company! keep us posted! has she thought of any dog breeds yet?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

she wants another lab mix, i am thinking another lab/bodercollie because that is what he is and he needs something to keep him busy too. i'm looking in shelters and craigslist and everywhere.

It's hard to find one in a shelter that doesn't need indoor homes only. i know its not always great to have out door dogs but really..... my mom brings them in if its cold, hot, rainy, buggy, stormy, or if they just act like they want to. but they are out alot too. my granny says to lie but that isn't a good idea either. shrug

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Leo

I suggest calling your vets office and asking them if they know anyone who needs to re-home their pet... with the foreclosure crisis going on there is an overwhelming amount of people needing to re-home their pets. I know my vets office has a list of animals needing new homes.

Feed stores are also great to look, a lot of times they have a bulletin board where people can place classified ads.... I know my local grocery store has this as well. This can sometimes be better than the paper (which costs money) or even the internet/craigslist.

As long as your dogs are UTD on vaccinations/heartworm prevention I would still consider contacting the rescues ... some rescues will adopt certain breeds out to mostly outdoor homes.
Good luck with your search for a new pack member .
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

we found this dog, that i emailed on and they called back saying we are just PERFECT for it and hopes everything works out so we will see. http://desmoines.craigslist.org/pet/746926970.html

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww he looks adorable!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

where i am national issues normally hit months later if at all, especially things like that. there is always a lot of pets needing rehoming but no more than normal i don't think.

There has been a terrible number of floods and tornados but surprisingly ALL the pets have homes and no donations are needed any longer.

2 towns near by were over 50% torn down by tornados one was actually over 90% gone.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 AM

aww he looks gorgeous. I hoipe everything goes well. ^^
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Leo

He is adorable!!! and sounds perfect for your situiation... I hope everything works out
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

he looks lovely, hope everything works out.

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

well my mom thought that cooper would do better with a puppy and so far hasn't done anything but is kind of looking she's still very very upset about hunter and i think feels like if she gets another dog its replacing him, everyone tells her its not but i don't think that matters

[/CENTER]