My dog won't stop licking things until they are soaked?? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 07:04 PM

I use to have a dachshund , when she got older she chewed her nails and licked her front paws all the time- drove me nuts!

My Golden sometimes licks his front feet, especially now because he had surgery and I have to keep him calm for 3 months. I'm lucky because he will chew those hard nylonbones that alot of dogs don't bother with.

Don't ever get a st. Bernard or any floppy mouth dog- you'll have wet spots everywhere! Beau(my golden) is pretty sloppy mouth too.When ever he drinks water the whole floor gets soaked and then we get our socks all wet, yuk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

My daughter's Golden is bad about licking her feet, too. (as are my Cavaliers.) In Golden's especially and most big breeds, it is important that you give them a food with a low protein content. Unless a dog is a "working" dog - which most of our aren't, I assume! - they don't need over 18% protein. So it helps to read the labels. For some reason, the higher protein causes them to itch.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask your vet about it. There are medications that can be given for the separation anxiety, etc., that will help.

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 09:44 PM

Thanks for that info on protein- I'll have to check their food. Buddy my older dog has been very itchy this year, and inside his paws get inflamed and he chews at them. I figured it was allergies to something . Maybe it's the protein. I feed them the lite large breed Nutros natural dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Princess in Waiting

Cool

That's one of the easier places to start looking for the solution. It may take a bag of lower protein food before you really notice a change. You'll be surprised at how many dog foods out there are 25% protein or more. (That's also the reason dogs love cat food so much - it's really rich with protein.)

CRITTERCALL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."

Tags
cat food, collie mix, dog food, older dog