My Dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Arrow My Dogs

Here's my beautiful, spoiled pups...

My 8 year old Whippet:

My Borzoi Puppy:

My 3 year old Greyhound:

Whippet and Borzoi pup at play:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yep they are beautiful! What are their names?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

awww they are so cute

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 06:59 PM

Great pics, thanks for posting!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

So cute!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Beautiful dogs!
I've always liked Borzois

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:11 PM

awww...they are so cute especially when they are playing with eachother
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Man! Your Borzoi is going to be drop-dead HANDSOME when he gets his full coat in!

And your Whippet is just darling.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 AM

adorable babies you have there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Miss New Booty

They are so adorable!!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 AM

What beautiful dogs! I always thought that sight hounds were pretty. I've heard though that have a tendency to chase things and can't be trusted off a leash (and unfenced area) is this true or just a matter of training? I've always been afraid to own a sight hound since we live in an apartment and have to take our dogs to the park to play and run.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Personally I think they're the best apartment dogs you could ever have. We live in an apartment.
Why I think that is:

1) They NEVER EVER bark. Most of the neighbors express shock when they learn that "the dog lady" lives right there! They don't even bark when somebody knocks, or even if the maintaince people come right in without knocking.
2) They're very lazy. They require very little activity, and are content to sleep for days. They are nothing like a Lab or other more active "normal" dog. Sighthounds don't leap around and knock things over or bug you with toys to play.
3) A good run every two or three days for about 20 minutes is all they need. Mine are perfectly reliable in just about any open space, and IMO it is mostly training... the Whippet, especially, is bombproof. I practically never leash him. He's very, very well trained and knows many commands and has been all over the world. They are wonderful travelling dogs, and b/c of their low energy level they just sleep on long car trips. Being quiet and mannerly by nature, they don't jump on people or go up to strangers. They don't care about people other than their owners.

All that said, if you want a playful buddy that chases tennis balls and romps with kids, look elsewhere. They don't like obnoxious dogs, they don't like obnoxious children, and they don't like screaming and yelling and discontent in a household. They are noble and peaceful and thrive in a quiet, harmonious atmosphere. They also are not watch dogs. Most of mine I have never heard bark in their lifetimes, only utter the occasional cry if in pain or lonely. They do tend to prefer one member of the family, and ignore others. I like one person dogs, so this appeals to me, but if you want a gregarious family pet, you might be disappointed. Most sighthounds tend to favor the "mom" in the household. They do not do well in kennels, and are picky eaters.

I love ALL dogs, but being a bit of a neat freak (with white furniture haha!) I will stick to my sighthounds

Their names, btw are Monet (Borzoi), Rigby (Whippet), and Lucas is the Grey
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

PS that said, when they DO decide to RUN... WOW, it's a sight to behold! Mine love the dog park, where they can tease all the fat, slow dogs and show 'em what it really means to run. Haha my Whippet has a funny game where he gets all the normal dogs to run full speed, often they are hysterical with prey drive chasing him... then he will turn on a dime right in front of a fence and then just watch the dogs all slam into the fence lol. I swear he thinks it's funny! He is very intelligent, and knows if he just stopped running he'd get mauled!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 05:55 AM

AquaClaraCanine: They sound like nice dogs to have as well. I've only known one sight hound personally, a friend had adopted a retired racing greyhound. She was a big lazy cuddle bug. But I didn't know much about them, just what she was like.

Lazy or active doesn't matter so much to me. I can be active with or without my dog and walks are always necissary. The one person thing might bother me a bit though since my boyfriend is extremely fond of our dog as well. I think he'd be really hurt if the dog just mostly bonded to me and not to him. He wants to be as much buddies with the dog as I do (if not more since pet ownership is very new to him and I grew up with all sorts of animals)

Thanks for sharing those lovely photos!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Yeah "my two" dogs (the zoi and the whippet) don't even notice my boyfriend. The Greyhound actually is his helper dog! The Grey gets more excited when I pet him than when boyfriend does, but he follows boyfriend around and knows he's the one that feeds him and walks him- we have to do it that way so he will stick to him, more! He helps him with balance and other things.

My two don't give the man the time of day! lol

My Borzoi loves walks. She'll take as much or as little walking as I am in the mood for. The Whippet and the Grey don't like to go as far... and if it's hot (as it usually is here, even in winter) you can forget it! lol

Tags
beautiful dogs, dog park, pet owner