My Dogs: Past and Present - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

My Dogs: Past and Present

Scoob
My very first dog was a black tri-color McNab mutt named Scooby (he was strangely named after my mom's cat who was named after the famous Great Dane. I did not name him.) He was one of a fairly large litter of pups that the neighbor's dog had "accidentally" had. He was my best friend in the whole world when I was two years old. Unfortunately, we couldn't keep him long. My mom realized as he grew up that he was quickly outgrowing the yard (we had no idea how big he'd be, but his mother wasn't big) and while he was the most loving best-friend ever, he was one of those dogs that needed a job. I guess it was the working McNab in him that started to come out. But whatever it was, he needed a job, a purpose. He couldn't be my playmate forever. So, he went on to live with a man who owned a big farm, where he'd work herding other animals and be able to run free through the fields when he was not working. He was happy, and so I was, too.

Champ
My second dog was a birthday present for my 3rd birthday. My grandmother envisioned me running and playing in the backyard with a golden Cocker Spaniel pup. So that's just what she got me. Champion (he was named that because he was the biggest or "champ" of the litter...yet again, I did not name him that) was a purebred golden American Cocker Spaniel. His parents were shelter dogs and by all means he never should have been born. But he was. I loved him, though he couldn't replace Scoob. He was a very loving dog, and a surprisingly good watch dog. He ate my toys, was a superb digger (he once dug his way out of our yard and into our neighbors yard, running amuck in their garden of fruits and veggies,) excellent spelunker (got lost under the deck once,) magnificent drool factory (only during summer,) and liked to help me catch frogs (he chased, I caught.) I miss the golden fuzzbutt. At least he had a peaceful end, though...
R.I.P. 1987 - 1994

Levi
It was eight long years before I got another dog. I found out about Levi's cute little blue and tan existance and fell in love. I named him Levi because he reminded me of scraps of Levi's Blue Jeans and old Leather. He's an AKC registered Australian Cattle Dog (full name is Lani Blue Levi. ) I could not wait until he grew up. I had plans to take him far in obediance, teach him to do things like catch frisbees, etc. I worked with him daily and had just gotten him to start catching frisbees when I had to give him up. Long story short, my family felt that Levi was too aggressive with my sister's dog, and decided that they were tired of putting up with Levi. I was working with both dogs, but could not undo the damage of some earlier misunderstandings. I also could not get my family to understand some things about dog/wolf behavior. The general consensus was that Levi should go. "Bullies aren't welcome." Something like that. He was returned to the breeder, and he now has a new home. I miss him. Sigh...

Myrl
Kuipo O Kamuela, which is his registered name, is an AKC registered blue merle Australian Shepherd. It must have been puppy season or something, as right after I got Levi my sister got Myrl. The two were raised together and were originally as close as littermates. I trained Myrl most (if not all) of what he knows, and would have carried out his training but I moved last Sept. Myrl is with my parents and sister in Hawai'i. Should my sister become too busy to care for him any longer, he will come out here and live with me. He's a great dog, though his sneak-attack french kisses are a tad bit annoying.

AJ
Apple Jacks, Ajax, or AJ -- whatever you want to call him! He aswers to it all -- is a yellow Labrador Retriever. Probably purebred but it's hard to say. My boyfriend's family adopted him when he was about 5 years of age, and have had him ever since. He's about 13 or 14 years old now. He's a very outgoing, friendly, people dog. He does well with other dogs, though he tries to dominate them. (It's as though he's saying to every dog he meets, "I may be an old man now, but when I was your age, I was quite the man! Show me some respect, pup!") When he was younger, he was a super ball and frisbee catcher, and there was no fence that could keep him away. Okay, so I imagine a 10 ft fence with barb wire could keep him out...anyway... His hearing is starting to go, and we're guessing he won't be around but another year or two. Besides the hearing, he has a bit of arthritis, that we keep at bay by walking him daily. (He LOVES hikes through the woods.) He's quite intelligent...long ago he mastered doors. He can easily open most doors. But boy do I hate it when he opens the bathroom door while I'm in there. Peeping tom...

Okay, those are my boys! In the future, I hope to rescue deaf pups and dogs, since there are so many myths out there about them that cause people to have them euthanized without good reason. I'd also like to raise guide dogs one day.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Playful Pup

great stories thanks so much for sharing them with us! great pics too!
love,
shannon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

They're all adorable! Thanks for sharing them with us.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Nikki and Sandy~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Glad you enjoyed

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 11:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They are all so cute, what handsome pooches. Thank you for sharing them and their stories.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Thanks Brandy

-

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Proud New Mommy

Aww!! They are all adorable. I love the stories, also.

Thanks for sharing

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Tags
australian cattle dog, australian shepherd, cattle dog, cocker spaniel, labrador retriever, yellow lab