My dogs swallowed some cooked rib bones whole - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Just a while ago my dogs each swallowed a rib bone whole, that were about four inches long, and maybe an inch thick. They were cooked bones, and they didn't even try to chew them, just swallowed whole. The bones are pretty solid though, and don't seem to be the type to splinter. I'm really scared and can't believe that they did this. They aren't necessarily small dogs. They're Brittany Spaniels, one is full grown and weighs over 40lbs, and the other is a puppy and might weight 15-20lbs or so.

So..What should I do? I have no way of contacting a vet right now, so I've turned to the internet for help. Will they be able to digest these bones? Or, is there something I could feed them that would aid them in digesting..?

...I gave each of them a full can of canned pumpkin, because I was advised that this would help dissolve the bones. I am taking them to the vet in the morning though.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hopefully they've seen the vet by now but at any sign of vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat, or abdominal pain and they should been seen by the vet right away.

Best of luck!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:54 PM

My boyfriend has a small dog who eats the bones whole all the time. He is a small dog, a lab/terrier mix I think he is. I think w/your dogs size they will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I think they should be able to digest the bone fine. I wouldn't give them rib bones though for that reason. If they were small dogs (about 20 pounds or so) it wouldn't be so bad.

*Missy*
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 PM

I have a doggie-Daschound-and he did the same thing. Hes not your average dashie though he's much larger than nost you see. Hes a standard size and with long long hairs So, anyways, 2 weeks ago he grabbed a rather large steak bone from the counter while I was cleaning up after dinner (him and the cats are a team, they knock it off the counter, he grabs it and runs away to eat it LOL)I was chasing him to get the bone away and of course he swallowed it so i couldnt get it. i panicked he started choking serverly and crying curled intoa ball on the floor....thought that was the end for him All of a suden gulp he was fine and went off to play with "his " kitty. OMG I was shaking, called the vet fraking out thinking if he had this much trouble getting it down the poor thing is gonna have a heck of a time getting it back out. The vet told me he should be fine and just to keep an eye on him. i called my mom after to tell her the story and one of their friends dog did the same and the only trouble they had with the coming out part is that it the bone....ummmm got stuck coming out and they had to pull it out of his bum (ewww) Fortunatly i think my pup passed it successfully!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Hopefully they've seen the vet by now but at any sign of vomiting, diarrhea, not wanting to eat, or abdominal pain and they should been seen by the vet right away.

Best of luck!

I agree here. Cooked bones are a lot more hazardous than uncooked because they do splinter when cooked. I have seen many an enema given due to this exact thing, so maybe it would be better safe than sorry.

Good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM

My uncles Daschund swallowed a rib bone and it scraped his intestines and it let the poisens in and he died
-Alisha
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

hope they update to let us know

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
terrier mix