My Foster Puppeh - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

My Foster Puppeh

Here are a few new pictures of Simone I took about an hour ago.She was in her favorite place (her crate) cleaning her paws.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aw that's cute how she does that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I know,isn't it!?

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

It is not so cute anymore...

I just learned that Simone has some sort of allergies that the vet cannot figure out.She apparently licks and licks her paws and they are swollen and red (the red tint - I thought this was stains from her previous life).

I have only had her a few days,but tonight was the first time I caught her licking her paws like this.But I was just talking to another volunteer about it and this is an ongoing issue with Simone apparently.Nobody told me anything before...

* Lisa *

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Food allergy? Dalmatians can have allergies to upholstery and detergents... Maybe try washing her bed in a hypoallergenic baby detergent?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I am not sure.
The vet doesn't know what she is allergic to.
But it is allergies apparently.

I had her just a few days.The other volunteer had her to the vet and nobody told me this about her feet until tonight.She was not licking her paws until tonight either,so I had no idea.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Oh and her food was just switched too,so...ugh! I wish people would tell me more when they bring me a foster.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Those types of allergies are pretty common. I guess whatever they walk through makes their paws itchy. I've seen quite a few dogs with red-stained paws like that. Can she get any meds for it?

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Those types of allergies are pretty common. I guess whatever they walk through makes their paws itchy. I've seen quite a few dogs with red-stained paws like that. Can she get any meds for it?
I am not sure.I am going to ask the Sheila about it tommorrow.I hate to think she is in discomfort.She already is on meds for a lung infection.

I am actually not familiar with dog allergies,so I didn't know this.
I do know that alot of the times,dogs will come in with stained paws from living in unproper outdoor kennels,so I assumed this is what it was.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Part of the Pack

For a long time I could not figure out what was causing my Dalmatians to lose their fur. Turns out they were chewing on some tree leaves that was giving them issues. JB took the worst of it chewing up her tail pretty bad. Poor thing lived with an e-collar for a long while.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Adolescent Pup

That is the first thing I noticed when I saw the pictures...she has some serious allergies/hot spots going on in between her toes and on her paws.

My German Shepherd is allergic to pretty much everything on this planet, so I am very well versed in dog allergies.

Let me first say that her paws are most like in a lot of pain and discomfort. If the vet recommends to put her on Prednisone (which he probably won't because of her lung problems) hold off on treating allergies with steroids for as long as you can.

Switch her to a fish and sweet potato food. Eliminate all grains and poultry from her diet (Two most common food allergies for dogs) Try to find a food that is grain and gluten free. rice, corn, barley, etc. are probably what is causing her problems. Chicken meal and by-products too.

I recommend either California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato, or Wellness CORE Ocean. Add canned Salmon to her diet as well, the fish oils in the wet food will nourish her very irritated skin. (and help her loose weight!) If you can't find a fish based, try either lamb or bison, but stay away from grains at all costs! My GSD has SEVERE grain allergies and lost all the hair on his ears and feet while we were trying to solve his problems. Fish and sweet potato seems to be the best choice when a dog is displaying the symptoms your beagle is. This means EVERYTHING needs to be eliminated. Treats, chewies, bones, etc. Even biscuits with grain in them will cause a allergy flare up.

Stay away from the Hills perscription diets for allergies, they are not a true fix and only mask the symptoms instead of resolving them...

Try to keep her from chewing/licking her paws as much as you can...if she continues to lick in between her toes will always stay moist and breed bacteria and infection, I had to wrap socks around Orion's feet to get him to stop licking his paws when he had a allergy blow out (before we found a food that solved his problems)

Good luck, and don't be too worried, as long as you alter her diet and stick to it, allergies and hot spot break outs are very easy to keep in check. Orion hasn't had a flare up in over a year, and he has been eating Wellness CORE Ocean, Wellness Salmon in canned.

Last edited by Riddick; 11-09-2009 at 01:01 AM.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Kit is on Wellness CORE Ocean now because of allergies too. He had very itchy skin and paws and watery eyes. He is allergic to grains we know for sure, and we're thinking possibly also chicken, as well as having environmental allergies. There is an allergy test the vet can do to tell you exactly what they are allergic too. From what I heard from other dog owners, it seems to be accurate.

I have to also keep Benadryl in the house all the time because Kit had a very severe allergic reaction to something over the summer. We think he got stung by a bee or bitten by a spider, but aren't sure because we didn't actually see it happen.

That stinks that the shelter didn't tell you about it before hand but hopefully you can find out what's bothering her. Allergies are manageable, especially after you find out what's causing them.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks for the information.
I will be talking to the rescue today about it.
They did just switch her diet...the brand is...I can't remember offhand,but it is a brand I am not familiar with,I know it is not Wellness though.It is in the kitchen,I will check in a few minutes.Her diet had to be changed because she is overweight.

I never had to deal with food allergies in any of my animals or me and my daughter,so I am not familiar with them unfortunatly.Time to do some research!

I should of been told about her allergies when they brought her over,but I wasn't.Being a foster home,I still need to be aware of these things.Maybe they just forgot to mention it.She has not been chewing or licking her paws today so far.Like I said,last night was the first time I noticed her doing it and so I just figured it was because we were just after coming in from a walk.She must be doing it when I am not around or not looking.

* Lisa *

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

aww poor puppy, she is adorable tho. It really sucks that they didn't tell you about this, you should make sure the people know you weren't told. I'd hate to think what could have happened if her allergies were more serious! I haven't had much experience with pet allergies myself, but i personally have had allergies all my life. For sure do as riddick said and start eliminating all extras from her diet. Also, make sure no one else feeds her any scraps or anything. As far as stopping her from licking, My aunt had a dog that would lick one of her paws obsessively, and she wouldn't wear socks or boots or anything, so she found her some cute lil doggie pajamas that had feet on them. They were kinda a hassle to put on and take off each time she needed out, but she didn't mind wearing them once they were on and it worked to stop her licking and let her paw heal up.

My Furry Family
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I have been talking to Sheila today about it.

Oh and as for table scraps and all that,I don't have to worry about that anyway,as I do not believe in giving into a begging dog and never give my fosters any table scraps.If they continue begging or trying to take food from my daughter or anything,I crate them until were done eating.So that is never an issue here.

* Lisa *