My next dog..help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

My next dog..help

I'm trying to figure out what my next breed of dog should be..help?

-When we get the dog we will have lots of property, and woods. It needs to be a dog that won't kill a lot of wildlife and it needs to be a dog that is not prone to running of (example: Miniature Pinshcer).
-It needs to be a dog that isn't too fragile. We have two strong Boxers that
-It needs to be an ACTIVE dog that will run beside a bike, swim, etc.
-The level of difficulty it is to train doesn't matter, but it can't be too stubborn!
-It needs to be a dog that will stay close to home, like I said above.
-I have time to groom a dog, but it needs to be a dog that won't get sticks in its hair when it's in the woods. A shorthaired dog that isn't so capable of that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 02:44 PM

you just described my gentle giant....saint bernard perhaps? ....honestly there are a lot to choose from, german shephards, rottweilers, labs, PUGS! I know they are small but heck our pug plays with our giant saint bernard and she could like pick him up in her mouth.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I love pugs!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Greyhounds are larger and very docile.They are quiet.They are also couch potatoes.They will go on hikes with you,jog with you,run along side a bike...etc.They are very sweet dogs.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Corgis are very loyal, energetic, and act like big dogs on a short body.

Tucker (lab mix) would follow us to the end of the earth and back. We call him Old Faithful. I could definitely see a lab as an energic dog that will go bike riding/etc with you.

No personal experience, but I've heard wonderful things about Great Danes.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM

I've always been a big fan of the scotties. I just think it's funny how they somewhat hover and flutter when walking.

~K
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM

I love cocker spaniels as i just got a 8 week old puppy her name is megan she is chocolate in colour i have posted a pic on here but it's not a very good one
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Australian shephards are great...and about the sticks in the fur Puppers (my aussie) has never had any stuck in his fur, I guess cause its so silky and as far as grooming we brush him every few days and shave him at the start of sumemr lol...he loves to play, follows you anywhere and everywhere...hes so smart and he would never hunt any animals...lol good luck on the search

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone...anyone wanna give me info on the following breeds?

Vizsla- How active are they? Please give as much info as you can =D
German Shorthaired Pointer- How active are they? Please give as much info as you can =D
Boston Terrier- Are they active? Do they have breathing problems? Please give as much info as you can =D
Bullmastiff- Are they active or lazy? Do they have breathing problems? Are they protective? Please give as much info as you can =D
Border Collie
Belgian Malinois
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
RAT ADDICT

A friend of mine has a German Shorthaired pointer.She is old now,but really sweet.They are quite active dogs and need lots of excercise.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 PM

German short-hairs, vizlas, weimaraners, and some of the hounds would all fit your requirements. Along with beagles, these are some of my favorite breeds. They are generally healthy, active, and trainable. (Some of the hounds can be kind of stubborn...but they're still very cool dogs with good personalities). The following site is great when trying to decide among various breeds. It gives a "star rating" for strengths and weaknesses of each dog as well as lots of good pictures. I hope this helps. Good luck. <-Steve->

Breeder Retriever - Creating a Community for Dog Enthusiasts
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Good recommendations, guys.

I would not get a Greyhound, though - they really can't be let off leash in an unfenced area. They will chase any small animals and just take off. This might not be a good idea if you are in the country, etc.

I would say:
Lab
German Shepard
Pointers (in general)
Bull Terrier (a VERY hardy smallish dog) - Rhonda has some. Rhonda???
Pitbull

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula86 View Post
Good recommendations, guys.

I would not get a Greyhound, though - they really can't be let off leash in an unfenced area. They will chase any small animals and just take off. This might not be a good idea if you are in the country, etc.
Very good point.I just went back and re-read her post and realized she is looking for a dog that will stay close to home.I must of missed that!

In that case,a greyhound would not suit your needs!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 08:43 PM

When I was young we had a Norwiegan Elkhound. Very beautifal and a very good dog. I loved that dog. Her name was Laser.

I am very satisfied with my black lab. Very smart and good with people. Loves the water. I have been thinking about a little lap dog for my next one. Not quite teacup size, but a very little indoor dog.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Poopie Face View Post
When I was young we had a Norwiegan Elkhound. Very beautifal and a very good dog. I loved that dog. Her name was Laser.

I am very satisfied with my black lab. Very smart and good with people. Loves the water. I have been thinking about a little lap dog for my next one. Not quite teacup size, but a very little indoor dog.
Hi mr poopie
if you want a lap dog then can say that cavalier king charles spaniels are very lovelly dogs and they love loads of fuss and love a lap, i use to have the ruby colour one,his is toby but my ex husband took him when he letf and that was 9 yrs ago but i have to say to this day i miss him even i have to pupps now one a choclate cocker she is nine weeks her name is megan and lucy who is 11 mths springer spaniel cross golden retriever

Tags
black lab, border collie, boston terrier, bull terrier, cavalier king charles, cavalier king charles spaniel, cavalier king charles spaniels, cocker spaniel, german shepard, golden retriever, king charles spaniel, lab mix, lap dog, springer spaniel cross golden