My poor confused puppy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

My poor confused puppy!

Ok, so David decided we should teach Tanner to stay, by teaching him to stay in his create with the door open.. so.. for the last week or so, when we bring him in the house after going potty.. he goes in his crate, and instead of closing the door behind him. we tell him to stay and go sit on the couch.. after many trys and many laughs it works.. he stays in his kennel when told. so were happy, yay we taught him to stay.. right?

So today, i decided we would practice this a bit teach him to sit and stay, and see how far away i could go. so i let him outside to potty.. bring him in.. do his stay in the crate just like always.. let him out to play a bit.. then put Allie away in her crate so i can have Tanners full attention... i tell him to sit.. give him some pets. then get a few treats for him.. again tell him to sit.. then give him a treat.. now tell him to stay and take a step back.. he runs to his crate.. ha.. i think ok.. oops silly me i stepped toward his crate and he thought i was going to put him in.. ok.. lets do this in the other room.. we go into the kitchen.. i tell him to sit.. give him a treat.. tell him to stay, take a step back and he runs to his crate I'm catching on now are you? i laugh and call him back.. and repeat just to make sure.. yup.. So tanner thinks stay means go sit in his kennel.. My poor confused puppy, oh how i love him!

We SO need to find him an obedience class. i think it would do so much good for him, and all of us really.. I'm beginning to think it might be worth driving the 2 hours to petsmart with him on Davids days off. This week I'm going to try to find something, anything closer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

aww bless him lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Oh that is just too cute! Looks like you are going to need to find a word to use instead of stay when you want him to stay. After all he knows the word already.
I tried to teach Frank that shake meant shake water off not handshake. I couldn't get it but that was because I couldn't figure out how to trigger him to shake without wetting him.
I think it's cute when you teach them an alternate meaning to a word.
At least you know he is trainable - and you know how to get him to "go kennel" - that is what we call it in our house.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:14 PM

hehe. that's funny
we taught our dogs back home that 'night night' is their crate
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

Aww that's so cute.

Phoenix knows two words, kennel and bedtime. I'm not sure if she knows the difference, but "kennel" is for when we're going to work and "bedtime" is well for sleeping, lol. We don't usually put her in the kennel for being bad because I want her to like her kennel and not think she's been bad everytime she has to go in it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Salamander Buffalokisser

when I was living at home with mom and we had dogs the phrase for us to get them to go to their kennel was in you go. and no matter where they were they would stop what they were doing and go into their kennel. With our Rottie we had to get him to drop a toy you had to tell him SPIT it worked for whatever he had in his mouth he would spit it out

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

puppers knows all the proper commands...but the puppies are a different story lol...for fetch we say go get (cause you say fetch and they will go get a newspaper not a toy lol) we say butt down instead of sit cause if we say sit they will sit in the chair not on the spot lol...we say nice to meet you for shake cause shake means get the water off...ohhh and my fav that Ashley started...coma and get it for food time lol no other command will work lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley