My poor family dog specky - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

My poor family dog specky

Well i just got a call from my mom today with some sad news. Our family dog(she is a 12 year old golden retriever) has a very serious infection that is making her pee all over my parents house. So my mom took her to the vet today and he gave her some pills to give our dog(her name is specky) and if these dont work my parents have to make the decision if she should get put down. We have had her as a family since she was six. She came into our family from a breeder-show person just a couple minutes from where we live. She is a two time show champion and had 5 litters of puppies(her last litter she had to have an emergency c-section so that is pretty much why we got her since her breeder didnt want her to have anymore litters and she retired from the show ring) she has been a great dog(one of my favorites even above my two boys) but it will be hard on my niece and nephew as they love her alot. They pulled her ears, poked her eyes, layed on her(me and my fiance have done it a couple of times ourselves) played horsey on her. This hasnt been the month for my family at all. My mom is also battling skin cancer on the top of her head(she has a melanoma) and she goes in for surgery on the 1st of december where after they are done they need to take skin off of her inner thigh and put it on her head. I wonder if dogs know if one of their pals isnt around anymore as our dog harley is super, super close with specky and winston as well and we were thinking she could have taught my brothers and his wifes new puppy dog(who is a border collie-black lab) as she taught harley things when we first got him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Betta Bomb

Aww, Im sorry to hear. Goldens are superiorly wonderful dogs-I have never shared my life with one but I can imagine what your all going through. Bliss to you. As for the 2 other dogs attached to her YES they will certainly miss her when she is gone. I think the most important thing is to maintain their schedule as per normal and have them get used to mourning in their downtime instead of alot because they will get depressed for a longer period. Poor girl.
Also, good luck with the surgery ofr your mother. I know it sounds scary but Im sure they'll fix her up fine
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Goldens are great specially loving family dogs. So i am really hoping these pills will work for her. She already has a couple issues. She falls down the stairs sometimes so me or my fiance when we are over at my moms we usually walk in front or behind her depending if she is going up or down and now she has to take 4 different pills because she has arteritis and other things and we think she is starting to go deaf as it takes her awhile to hear us specially on walks. I am hoping that my parents will get another dog down the road which will most likely be another golden retriever but a puppy this time since i know my mom gets more lonely specially as my dad works for an oil company and lately he is going to going away for 10 days straight. I am just glad my boys still have each other and my brothers dog to play with. But knowing my dog harley since he had to stay with my parents and specky for almost 2 months while we moved into our condo so he got attached to specky very quickly and follows her every move.

Thanks It did sound very scary at first with it being so close to my moms brain its always a scary thing to think about. Specially for my dad who is probably also having the hardest time of all since its also been a year on december 2nd that my grandpa passed away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

yikes. I adore my golden retriever, its getting harder now knowing that she may be gone soon as well. Hopefully these pills do the trick for your puppy, and when the time comes you can be strong. Good luck
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Adolescent Pup

awwww thats horrible news to hear! I had the same think with my old dog bodie, he got diagnosed with cancer before xmas last year and we knew afterwards we would have to make that decision at some point we just didnt know when. I hope the vet can help specky! thoughts are with you let us know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love Cathy and Holly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well she seems to be doing alot better. Doesnt seem like any accidents have been happening and she is back to her peppy little self again. Though i did feel bad at one point when harley had no idea where he was peeing and peed all over speckys head while on a walk. This is the second time harley has done it which its kinda funny but i feel bad and have to give her two treats. He is the only one that has done it either he has seriously horrible aim when peeing or he just doesnt care where or who he pees on when he has to go.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's very tough tough situation for you, specially to your mom. Hope things got better for Specky anytime soon as December 1 is coming or else it might be a difficult situation for your mom to deal with Specky and her needed-rest. If you are not satisfied with the current medication, please seek more, also another vet advices if really needed so Specky will get better because it will a double hardship for your family and for your mom needing Specky's presence (what if she's gone). Crossing fingers for Specky..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
girl, poor, specky