Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

My puppy...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Riddick 
#1 ·
HATES his leash and collar. He won't wear it and he won't walk when he has his leash on. Is this just a puppy phase, or is there something I can do?

#2 ·
Have you tired using a gentle leader? Like a Harness to try and walk him. it usually prevents pulling and it doent's cling to his neck like a collar.

#4 ·
most puppies hate leashes to start with, but its one of those things that no matter what they must get used to...when we got the puppies we bought them collars and leashes straight away and would hook the leash on to just drag all around the house, then we walked them around the house and yard, they got used to it fast, just have to be persistant and never let the puppy out for a walk without it...puppies are so much fun ;)

#6 ·
Frank was horrible on a leash at first. I don't recall if he minded his collar. Finally he realized that he had to do what I wanted him to do some of the time. I swear he was just being stubborn about it. Now he heals perfectly for me. It is so enjoyable to walk a dog that knows how to heal. There is no pulling or tugging. And the best part is he taught Belle how to heal as well. I can walk two dogs on the same side of me with no problem.

#7 ·
Thanks everyone, i'm gonna try those things. :)

#8 ·
Leave his collar on all the time, let him scratch at it. He has to get used to wearing it. Clip the leash to his collar and walk in front of him dropping little pieces of treats on the ground to get him to follow you with the leash dragging behind him.

Then start taking him outside and let him walk and go where he wants with you holding the leash, occasionally calling him back to you and reward him with a treat.

My youngest Rott, Spartacus never had a collar problem because he started wearing one at 2 weeks old, but the first time I clipped a leash to him at 8 weeks he had the biggest hissy fit, he got over it in about 2 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.