My puppy hates her crate! Any advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

My puppy hates her crate! Any advice?

Howdy. So i'm having some trouble with crate training. We got a 4 month old collie / retriever mix about a week and a half ago and she is definitely NOT fond of her crate. She came theoretically crate trained so i didn't think much of it when i had to coax her into the crate that she came with (that is: toss some food in and close the door behind her). But she definitely balks at going into her crate - more and more i feel like i need to bum-rush her into her crate at night or when we can't watch her closely enough, and when she does go in at night she cries all night. We've been sleeping on the couch a bit, less and less every night, to try to wean her off of the lonliness if that's what it is. The crying part doesn't worry me too much (it is heartbreaking to listen to, though!) but what does worry me is that she seems to get anxious enough that her panting and drooling soaks her bedding.

Any advice for taking her back to basics on this one? I don't want her to hate her crate! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

with my dogs I put them in the crate and went to bed, I didn't constantly reassure them because the trainer told me not to as it was gonna make the process harder for them, after the third night no more cries...we also cover the crate when we put them in, it works wonders with them all, they go straight to sleep lol, we also gave them each their bedtime kong (only toy I would let them have unsupervised) and they never cried after the third night, now they go to their crate when they are sleepy or tired. Never use it as a punishment, if they do something wrong don't put them straight to the crate cause then they start to see it as a punishment...

With me it just took time and patience...all my dogs are crate trained and each one was different to train to go in one lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Fair enough. We've got to wait for an appropriate time to let the crying go - it keeps us up and sleep is fairly critical for us to keep our day jobs. Luckily, we also get about half the week off, so as soon as this cycle goes low we can get a few sleepless nights.

I worry about the level of effort required to get her into her crate - she seems fairly afraid of it and i'm not sure how to reverse it. I've used treats, and tied a kong to the back of the crate and filled it with peanut butter, but she never goes all the way in if she can help it - i either have to push a little or more or less stuff her in when we leave for the morning or take her somewhere in the car or go to sleep at night. Did you guys ever have to make such efforts? Does it sound like i'm forcing the issue too much? I wouldn't mind backing off (or keeping on)...i am trying to be consistent but don't want to be consistently be doing the wrong thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

hopefully others will chime in as they know so much more than me...my cocker Lady used to fight going in, for like a month she did, but I stayed consistant and gave her a treat when she went in, not going in, but all the way in and stayed...she now loves her crate and when I say night night she runs to it with her tail wagging. The Puppies were so much easier lol...they had never been in a crate til we put them in one, but we gave them their Kong and covered it with a blanket and after 3 days no more whinning...we to need sleep as my daughter has school, Ken works and I go to physical therapy first thing in the morning, we closed the doors and turned on radios lol...its different for each dog, my oldest dog Pup is terrified of cages due to his past, so he truely seldom ever goes in one, but hes trained like you can't believe lol...he stays all night on his bed, hes potty trained and will hold it till he can get us to take him out...but he has a crate with no door for his own "room"

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You may want to try some shorter crate times so she doesn't think she's always going in there for a long time. My puppies aren't crate trained, but they are trained to be in the kitchen at night with a gate up. My youngest puppy cried for 4 nights when we broke him in. I didn't go downstairs to coddle him though. If you go pay attention to a crying dog, he will learn that he can get you to come to him by crying. Have you thought about putting the puppy in the kitchen or a bathroom with the crate open so she can go in and out on her own? I've found the kitchen is a good night time place since they can use the wee mats if they need and get water when they want. There is nothing they can really get in to in the kitchen. It's a very good arrangement. I always put the radio on when it's their alone time to keep them company.

There is a thread on here about crate training: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f9/cr...dog-16326.html

See if it has anything on there that you're not already doing. Good luck!

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

Tags
potty train