My puppy won't poo! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

My puppy won't poo!

My puppy is refusing to poop not just outdoors but at all. I know he has to go too. He goes sniffing around but he won't poo, he will eat leaves, he will play with things he will pee.

He eventually goes but its like he is holding it for some reason. I think he wants to go poo in the neighbors yard. Its not that our yard isn't cleaned up of his poo either. I can't get him to go tonight, i take him out he pees and then wants to play, i take him in and he wants out again, i take him out and he doesn't want to go, he goes sniffing around like he wants to go then he stops and starts looking around.

It is so frustrating. I take him back in and he wants out. I have taken him out several times tonight with in the last hour or two he normally goes twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night.

He doesn't normally go in the house either. Its like he doesn't think he should go in the yard. I praize him each time he goes.

I know he can tell i am getting more and more frustrated when we go out side. time and time again to do nothing.

He is 6 months old. I tried looking online and all i can find is puppies holding it until they are inside, which is not my case. It isn't that he ate something either. I watch what he is doing all the time and he does eventally go when he does the poos are normal.

tonight i have had it. i am so frustrated. I don't mind taking him out if he has to go at all but i really wish he would go haha. I see him feeling sad knowing i am upset and i tell him he's a good boy and all is well but he still doesn't go.

Maybe i will just go to bed and let him wake me up soon to go out. I really wish he would go when i tell him. He does pee when i tell him to go potty if he has to go

Does anyone know why he would hold it? Is their something to spray on the yard to perhaps nuetralize his old poo smell?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Part of the Pack

Does he eat at specific times or throughout the day? With specific feeding times you can better predict your dogs cycle and know when it should be business time.

I can only imagine it is cold where you are and how much unfun that would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I am allergic to maths

My puppy does that even still, she is 8m.o, she stands infront of the door when she wants to go so we let her out, she does a wee and then plays or comes back inside. She knows that she cant poo inside and eventually she will give up and go outside and it worries me because she only does it two to three times a day and she should poo more than that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

I had the exact same problem with Spartacus when he was right about the same age (6 months) so it must be a phase they go through! lol

What I did was go back to treating him like he is a 8 week old puppy. Take him out on a leash every hour on the hour, leave in on the leash for 15 minutes. Do not walk him. Stand totally still in one spot, do not talk to him or pay attention to him.

Once he does his business release him from the leash and let him play. If he doesn't go, bring him back inside and crate him.

Spartacus caught on very quickly to what I wanted him to do. Also feeding on a strict schedule (I do twice a day) helps alot...good luck, I totally understand how incredibly frustrating it is!! I was so frustrated with Spart when he was young for a lonnnngggg time!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i free feed messi. His poos are on a schedule he normally goes 1st thing in the morning and at 12 oclock at night. However lately he is refusing at night and that is no good.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 PM

Hey everyone

I'm back, I was on here asking questions a few months back but I dont think I ever introduced myself. My name is susan. I live in vetnam with my family and 2 cats, kitty and Kitten(my children). Im a vegetarian cause I love animals SO much. Some day I want a house full of ALL kinds of animals and my dream would be to get a degree in Zoology. I really want to work as a Zoo Keeper but I would hate to work for a zoo and have it close and them threaten to put the animals down. I would go crazy if that happened. Anyways, feel free to respond back I love meeting new people and chatting
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
i free feed messi. His poos are on a schedule he normally goes 1st thing in the morning and at 12 oclock at night. However lately he is refusing at night and that is no good.
Oh I thought he wasn't going AT ALL! If he's going at least once a day and not having accidents in the house than that is fine...he is getting older and can hold it longer...

Although I do recommend switching him from free feeding to scheduled meal times. It's easier to watch his food intake that way so you can catch if there is anything off in his behavior...

Last edited by Riddick; 12-03-2009 at 01:02 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh i measure how much food i give, I give him the recommended for his age/ size just put it in all at once and normally its gone or almost gone by bedtime. I don't have one of those free food dishes that has a lot of food that feeds down.

My roommates girlfriend used to under measure hers so she would stay stunted and tiny (i had many fights with her on this and i have posted it on paw talk before) I just hate it when dogs gobble down their food and are hungry.

Unless he has issues with over eating, or issues with dominance with his food or whatever i will continue to free feed. He only eats a few bites at a time right now and then he plays and goes back later. I know normally it is recommended to have meal times but every dogs different. I really like that food is not a power thing with him he doesn't care if anyone touches his food or anything and i want to keep it that way.

I think he has figured out he can hold it as long as he wants and chooses to do so lol.

I told my self i will not get mad at him, i will take him out and if he goes he goes. So of course then he went right away haha. So the last 2 days he has gone back to his normal schedule.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

Glad everything is back to normal...for some reason I thought Messi was a labrador, which is why I was concerned that you are free feeding...

but I went back through your posts to discover he's just a little (and very cute) thing! Most people do free feed small dogs, and as long as you are not just filling a 4 cup dish and letting him graze on it for days like a lot of people do.

Good to know you are measuring out appropriate amounts!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Playful Pup

Pup won't poop - here are some diet tips

Puppy pooping when you walk him/her:
I have some feeding tips to help the pup - so he can't hold the poop in for long!
How about adding some PURE canned pumpkin to his diet each day.
Just add 1-2 teaspoons of NO added sugar pure canned pumpkin.
It will work -
will have to poop 2 x per day in your yard.... ( i hope)

HOPE my suggestions help you...
BEST wishes with the new pup..

Doggie Vitamins and supplements:

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled5.html
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

he seems like he is back on schedule

[/CENTER]

Tags
no poop, puppy