my sis's dog's tongue mass... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Unhappy my sis's dog's tongue mass...

well, my ex-step sister's dog, rex (rott - lab mix) has a huge mass on his tongue that extends down his throat. he was just at the vet a couple weeks ago (he got hit by a car... ) and they didn't even see anything. she is so scared. she wants to join pt, but i told her that they will mointor her first 10 posts. so i'm just posting for her.

the mass is really big and hard. they are hoping he ate something that pierced his tongue and it got infected. but they don't know. she doesn't think they can operate and if they can, she doesn't know how she will afford it. ugh!

i told her i'd post here and see if anyone had any ideas (medically) and if anyone knew about ways to help pay if it comes down to it. are there ways to raise funds online? ebay?

thanks so much guys. i just feel bad for her and rex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 04:08 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jane I don't have any advice medically, however ask her to check with her vet and see if they offer a payment plan, most vet's will work with you in situations like this....Darren said you may also want to see about getting an article put into the local paper, as the dog was recently hit by a car, that could be a way to help with funds if surgery becomes an option......Best of luck and I hope all turns out okay for everyone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you kim! every time i get a response i am just emailing them to her. she really appreciates it all! i'll let you know any updates. he goes back to the vet friday to get the results from the biopsy (i think that's what they did). anyways...test results on friday.

thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 07:43 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Your very welcome, please let us know how the tests turn out

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

update: well, it's not cancer! so that's good. they think that maybe he bit into something in the yard. they aren't sure. she is taking him back this weekend. they need to know if it's a bacteria or what. they are concerned because the lump is really hard. but we know it isn't cancer.

i'll let you guys know when there's new news.

thanks! my sis says thank you guys! she will be asking about payment plans.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

You can also do an E-bay donations auction...I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I'm sure if you go to E-bay, they'll tell you how to do it. I like the local paper idea as well from Kim...I'm sure there are good people out there willing to help donate money to get this treated

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

im glad it is not cancer can not wait to hear what they decide it is

lori

wife to keith

mom to nicholas (8), andrew(6)

dogs kodiac, barker, gizmo

cat oddball, louie, cami
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2004, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

yah me either. i just got back into town, so i'll call her soon.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

let us know

lori

wife to keith

mom to nicholas (8), andrew(6)

dogs kodiac, barker, gizmo

cat oddball, louie, cami
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

well, i know it's been a while since i've posted about this, but here's the update...

my sister had to have her doggie put down. she is so upset. lemme tell you guys why in a nutshell.....

the mass in his tongue just kept getting bigger. he's not the kind of dog to show pain, so it was hard to know if he was hurting. but he could hardly eat or drink because of the mass. she had taken him to a lot of vets, but a couple of days ago, she told me she was taking him to one more and if they recommended euthanasia (like the others) that she would have to do it. basically...
whenever they looked in his mouth at the mass, he would cry out. and he never does that. there were leisions on the mass that would bleed, too. the mass itself wasn't cancerous or infected, so they didn't know exactly what it was. the vet said that if they were to remove the mass, there would not be enough tongue left for him to eat or drink. he wouldn't be able to drink water. and there was no kind of implant/transplant that they could do.
my sister has been crying for 4 days straight. she just thought that he wouldn't be able to have any kind of life after removing the mass because he wouldn't be able to even drink water. so she reluctantly had him put down.
they said that the mass could have been created when he ate something sharp and poked his tongue. my sister feels like she is responsible cause she remembers giving him a rib bone before all this happened. i told her it's not her fault and she didn't know what would happen.

so there is the update.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Aww...I'm sorry Jane! to both you and your sister

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks mandie. i will pass the hugs along. i tried to call her yesterday, but she didn't answer. i'll try again today. thanks again.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

awwww Your poor sister...she did the kindest thing even though it is breaking her heart.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Aww, your poor sister! She did all she could for Rexx!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That's so heart breaking. But atleast she did everything she could

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

Tags
lab mix