My worst fear has now become reality - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 01:49 PM

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry to hear about Mirra. I have dealt with a dog with a broken leg (Lucky from the shelter in case anyone remembers) we had to hunt down a orthopedic surgeon as well and let me just tell everyone it was far from cheap even with a huge discount because it was for a shelter dog. Big hugs Scarlette because I know how huge of a strain this is going to be for you from all the different aspects of it. Give Mirra a cookie for me and a big kiss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thanks for the well wishes, thoughts and prayers everyone.

Dena, I know this is going to be a huge expense. I haven't said anything here, but I put a deposit down on another puppy that will be ready to come home the end of October. Now I'm trying to decide if I should cancel that plan because between the cost of a new pup and the cost of Mirra's care, my savings account will be pretty much non-existant. Heck, I'll be in the red. Jeff said no, we're still going to get the other puppy but I don't think he realizes how much this is going to cost. I just signed up for another credit card anticipating the expense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

*more hugs* Hang in there, sweetie. I'm glad to hear she's more comfortable now!

I was going to suggest another pain med if all they sent home was Rimadyl, so I'm glad you got something. If the Torb is making her too loopy, you might ask about Tramadol instead of or in addition to.

You're both in my thoughts and prayers!

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Sending Mirra get well soon wishes, and give her a big hug from me too!
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:31 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Rhonda, I'm SO sorry about Mirra. Big hugs and lots of get better soon vibes go out to her and you as well. I know your worried about her operation, but like Carmen said, (I think it was her anyways) Mirra is not Riley, and I bet that with the extra precaution of having a cardiologist on hand as well is just as much going to ensure that nothing will happen like that again. It'll all be okay hon. Keep us updated, okay?

post #21 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:06 PM

Poor Mirra! Sending lots of good vibes her way.
post #22 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:07 PM

I really hope Mirra will be ok. Poor Mirra!!

...and {{{hugs}}} to you.
post #23 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:27 PM

(((hugs))) and prayers
post #24 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:07 PM

Oh man Rhonda, I'm so sorry. How awful. Sending lots of prayers your way.
((hugs))
post #25 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I gave her a shot of the Torb about 3:30 and she's just now waking up some. That stuff scares me because it really knocks her out and I worry that it will affect her respiratory system. If she needs another shot along with the pills then I'm going to give a smaller dose of the Torb.

Now I'm concerned that she hasn't had a bowel movement in 31 hours and only drank about 2 cups of water today. I called the clinic downstate and spoke with a vet tech and she said not to worry about her moving her bowels just yet. Mirra shows no signs of dehydration but I don't want it to get to that point. Maybe when I take her in Thursday they will give her some IV fluid to make sure she's hydrated enough before surgery. She will eat but only if I hand feed her so I'll have to get up extra early before work tomorrow to hand feed, give pain meds, carry her in and out of the house and then get myself ready. Mom will be home with her most of the day and Jeff will be here at 4, so she'll only be alone for a couple hours tomorrow.

Rhonda

post #26 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Torb really slows the GI tract, so I wouldn't be surprised that she hasn't had much movement. You might call your vet back and ask about the Tramadol instead if it's making her that groggy in addition to the slow GI movement. You might also add some rice to her food, which will provide more fiber and encourage movement.

Most surgeries done here are done with the animal on fluids both during and after, and often before. I'd think they would make sure she's well hydrated.

Still thinking about you!

Stephanie

post #27 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i am so sorry that this happened, rhonda. thank goodness that mirra has you because you love her so much. you guys will be in my thoughts.

post #28 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I went to work this morning, threw up twice on the way there and once while I was there. Yes, I'm making myself physically ill worrying. I'm pathetic and a wuss when it comes to my pets. Someone else was able to come in and cover for me so I came home and laid on the floor with my baby for awhile.

I gave her half of a Torb injection this morning and it seems to be just enough to keep her comfortable, yet she's alert enough to drink. So far she has drank about 2 cups of water today (YAY!), but really not wanting to eat. She whined a minute ago so I carried her outside and she pooped! Double YAY! She hasn't peed since yesterday about 9am, so I am little worried still, but she only drank about 2 cups of water total all day yesterday....so maybe if I keep her comfortable with pain meds but not totally zoned out I can keep encouraging her to drink some more and make her pee.

Rhonda

post #29 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Aww hon, I can't imagine how hard this is on you hon. Just know we are all here for you if you need us for anything.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers. BIG HUGS!!
post #30 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:02 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I'm glad that she pooped for ya, Rhonda. I know your worried, but try not to worry SO much. You're doing all you can for her, and you're making her as comfortable as she can be... She'll be better soon, okay? Trust me. With you taking care of her, she's in the best hands.

Tags
broken leg, bull terrier, vet tech, veterinary medicine