My Yorkie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

My Yorkie

my little yorkie has been breathing really bad for a long time now, the vet we took her to said it was asthma...she sounds horrible but they said it was nothing to worry about, but if we wanted tests done it was going to cost 1000 or more...so my question is do you know any organization willing to help someone pay for medical, I could do it if I could make payments but all in one shot is just not possible right now

I love my baby girl, we have had her 4 years and she has had breathing difficulties from almost the begining...the vet we take her to has been great with my cat, but I am worried that she never gave me any further advice or anything, I am going to contact a new vet for her...any advice would be much appreciated as I am beyond worried for her...shes my sweet little baby and I can't and won't loose her now, we will find away to get the money, but I was just wondering if there was any help out there...man I wish vets could take payments

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

from my understanding, if you talk to vets, most of them will do a payment plan for you. have you asked??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

I have talked to a few, most want all when I pick her up, and others want half then and then half in 2 weeks...we are talking to family members to help out...if push comes to shove I will get rid of something I own....shes such a small little girl, I worry about her alot, I am still reeling from the death of my poodle, 18 years just wasn't long enough, I can't lose her to

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer
I have talked to a few, most want all when I pick her up, and others want half then and then half in 2 weeks...we are talking to family members to help out...if push comes to shove I will get rid of something I own....shes such a small little girl, I worry about her alot, I am still reeling from the death of my poodle, 18 years just wasn't long enough, I can't lose her to
Has she had the same vet for the past 4 years. I think this is where people go wrong. If you stay loyal to a vet and go yearly for exams and vaccs and build a relationship with your vet, most will do payments. If they don't know you well, they are hesitant to trust you and who can blame them really?

Just curious how did a vet finally diagnos asthma....which is pretty rare in dogs? Chest x-rays and/or ultrasound/ tracheal wash etc?

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Miss New Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
Just curious how did a vet finally diagnos asthma....which is pretty rare in dogs? Chest x-rays and/or ultrasound/ tracheal wash etc?
Good questions, Brenda. I was wondering that, too. And are they sure this isn't a collapsing trachea issue? It's very common in small dogs, my dachshunds and papillon have this. It's like they are hyperventalating slightly and that they are having trouble breathing. My vet said this was a small breed dog thing and reassured me this was perfectly normal from time to time, not to worry. Brad's sister has a yorkie, and her yorkie does this all the time. It sounds like he is choking sometimes when he gets so excited, he even snorts! lol The vet said everything was fine and normal, he was even doing it when he went to the vets because he was excited. I'm wondering if this is what your yorkie has?

My cat has asthma, and all they did was do an X-ray on him and listen to his lungs and a blood test. What kind of tests did they want to do? WOW a $1000?? They showed me on the X-ray the congestion on his lungs and then he got a cortizone shot and we were on our way.

Wheezing was common sign with my cat Snuggles. He hasn't needed another cortizone shot as of yet. It kind of comes and goes.

I hope you get this all figured out!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

they did x-rays and blood tests and I am not sure what else when they came up with the asthma diagnosis, and yes shes been our vet for 4 years, shes a great vet, she saved my kitty...but she has never alowed payments, shes 1 vet in a group of 4...I am unsure on the tests they did this morning, my mom took her, shes my moms dog (but I love her, sleep with her, cuddle her and play with her all the time) we live togather and we picked her out togather...they said we could pick her up this evening, she was like 90% better today, the vet said the heat is a major factor for her right now, she asked hom my asthma was and I said not so good and she said its the same with dogs...its going to be 107...the funny thing is she hates being inside, begs at the door to go out...my big dog hates to go out...

the vet called a little while ago and said she was doing great and wanted to clip her nails...so I guess tht means my baby is ok...when she comes home I will let you all know what they have said....thanks for the help and comments...thank you

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

the vet didn't charge us for alot of the tests...she said she owed us for the cat lol (at first she recommended we put her down) the bill was 356.72 so we paid and got our baby back, its asthma...and something else I forgot lol but it was a normal thing for a little dog...we feel alot better, we also signed up for pet insurance...we have all 3 in the house running wild right now its just to hot outside...thank you all for your support

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley