Naughty Indy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Naughty Indy

Why is Indy not learning as well as Myfanwy?

I am teaching them commands and Myfanwy learns them within a few goes but Indy never learns them.

Myfanwy knows sit, stay, paw.
This weekened I taught them out when i wanted them out of the room. After about 5 minutes Myfanwy learnt this word but indy till does not.

When she walks she was pulling a lot so i tugged on the lead and said NO and she learnt not to pull by 2 walks. Indy still has not learnt this no matter how many times you do this with him.

Today i wanted them to learn a command for them to stop play fighting when I needed them to so i used the word Stop.
After about 6 of these Myfanwy lied down and stopped fighting but not Indy he would go up to her and antagonise her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Every dog learns at a different pace! VERY few dogs will learn everything over a weekend or just a couple of tries. It takes alot of patience and persistance to train dogs. Don't give up on him so soon. He'll get it, just give him time and don't compare him to anyone else. He'll learn at his own pace.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I read something some where that said it takes about 62 repititions before a dog can fully understand a command. All dogs are different, just like people, and learn at different paces. Be patient, it will come to him.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Myfawyn seems to just catch on really quickly. It sounds like she's the one whose learning at an abnormal pace, not Indy. Indy will catch up. As was said before, dogs learn at a different and most take many many repetitions. Also, even after they learn something. I've heard puppies can hit a point where they seem to forget everything. Not that you need to reteach it but practice it more I guess... they remember after a week or two. is a bit strange... but most of the puppies in my training classes seemed to go through a stage like that. If not all of them...

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.