Need advice... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Post Need advice...

Wow, it's been a while since I posted here and I've had so little time, but I have come about a dilemma in which I need some advice.

My boyfriend and I of 7 years have broken up and I have moved into an apartment. They only allow two dogs here but am bringing 3. (I got the last one about 2-3 months ago) They are all dachshunds.

Dacky - 2 year old female.
Rascal - 2 year old male.
Cookie - 8 months old female.

Now, the problem lies with Cookie. She is quite problematic but EXTREMELY sweet and loving. She is still a puppy, so she's in those wild moods. She eats furniture and things she's not supposed to. Very sneaky. She also barks a lot when she hears something outside. And the final thing, she pees on the potty pad, but poops everywhere else. Other than that, she's a sweetheart.

I haven't brought the dogs yet to the apartment to stay, but they will probably by next weekend.

On Friday, I was fed up and decided to put an ad in the paper to sell her so that she doesn't get me in trouble in the new place, but then about 30 minutes after, I cancelled it. I just love her too much and I know I would regret it since I haven't tried having her here and feel like I haven't done everything in my power to get her to calm down and behave.

I would like some advice if possible...

My final thing I would try is a bark control collar as I hate anything that resembles torture to creatures.

I want to see if there are other ways I should go about in fixing these things with Cookie.

#1) Eating furniture, cables, and anything she's not supposed to
#2) Potty in the right spot
#3) Barking constantly

I really don't want to give her away... I love my dogs.

To give you an idea about the place we have to work with now, I have a one bedroom apartment. The apartment is ALL rug, except the kitchen and bathroom. What I was planning on doing was leaving them in the kitchen for the time being when I go to work and leaving them loose in the apartment under my supervision while I'm here until Cookie is fully trained. But, then I think the kitchen is too small an area for 3 dogs (even though they are all small), so I want your input on that...

I feel desperate about this and would appreciate any help/advice you can give.

Thanks all!

Jessica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ooo I am in about the same spot as you, perhaps we can both learn something helpful. I have three doxies also and am planning to move into a 1 bedroom apartment in Jan.

One of the doxies, Rebel, has lived outside all of his two years, due to my mom, and lifts his leg to mark his place, he is neutered though, just alittle too late after 5 months. Claire is living inside at my bf, 5 months old, and sort of pee pad trainned, and she to poops wherever she wants. Molly is going to live with my dad as she belongs to him and myself, and he loves her to death, not to say that I don't though. The apartment only allows two pets as well.

Have you tried crate trainning? I tried with that Claire and it didn't work out well, but I think if I do it right, Rebel wouldn't mind. I just think I didn't do it correctly with Claire.

I hope that we can learn something, I find it wild that we both seem to be in a similar situation. Hope you don't mind me posting this here too, just seems to go together. Thanks.

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by dappledoxie; 12-28-2003 at 07:46 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Crate training hasn't worked with her, she's a tough one. (We call her Cookie Monster. lol.) She'll just poop and pee in the crate and never learns. I don't mind you posting here, it's good to see I'm not alone. lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah that's pretty much what Claire did. That plus she had a fit, she would scream and she almost broke her toenail off because she was going nuts in there bounching off the walls, it did get torn, it bleed, and she had to be on anitbiotics for awhile. I even tried the panel that made the crate smaller for her size and all. Rebel pretty much lives in his dog house and that's why I think he wouldn't mind. He is almost house trained anyway, because he always poops when I let him out of the kennel, which I find nice, hehe. Just hope that I can get him not to pee on everything in the place. *fingers crossed*

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh and what colors are your doxies?

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah, Cookie would yell, howl, scratch the bottom of the crate, everything, it was horrible.

My dachshunds are:

Dacky - Black/Tan female
Rascal - Red male
Cookie - Dapple red female

Pics (Dacky and Rascal's pics are a little old already):
Dacky -

Rascal -

Cookie (ignore the SA property thingy) -

Cookie has dapple in her left eye, it's real light blue, almost white on the corner.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

They are soo cute! Mine are Rebel: Black and Tan Molly: Red Claire: Chocolate and Tan dapple I love dapples!

Have you tried hiding the cords and such the best you can, I bet you have though. I am planning on hiding all of mine behind the furniture if possible so that Claire/Rebel can't get to them.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Dacky and Rascal are so well behaved. Rascal used to be like Cookie and it took him a year to mature. Now he holds his potty until I take him out. Dacky is a princess and she's an excited pee'er so she does her stuff on the potty pad as well, but never misses. Cookie is the ONLY troublemaker. She's even eaten the corners of the walls. Seriously anything she can bite. That's why I'm afraid when I gate them in the kitchen, she will chew on the cabinets. And she has TONS of chew toys so I have no idea what her problem is. lol.

I've tried with the cables but not all of them can be hidden, unfortunately. She's so problematic, but when I pick her up she licks me so happily and I lay her on her back and rub her tummy she calms down so much. She's so full of love and energy, just wish she wasn't this problematic.

Dapples ARE cute! I love doxies so much.. they are by far my favorite breed.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah the chewing can be a problem especially for getting back a deposit if you have put one down. I worry about that too, although Claire hasn't chewed on anything in Shannon's house, so I don't know.

So Cookie doesn't get distracted playing with the other two. They don't really keep each other busy? I am hoping that Claire and Rebel will be good when I am not around and not bark and cause probs. I don't think they will but who knows.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They all play together, they also play fight and cause a ruckus. lol. It's cute how they get along. I love finding them all cuddled up together sleeping. Maybe in that tight a spot, they will learn to keep each other company. At my ex's house, they were free to roam the WHOLE house (except the 3 bedrooms) and it was a big house, so she would wander off and do her destructive thing. It's a different environment, so I don't know what to expect.

Yeah, and I had to put $750 pet deposit/fees for two dogs (I'm sneaking Cookie in as I don't like separating them) aside from the regular deposits.

I'm hoping the same thing as you about the barking and problems. Only time will tell, I still haven't brought them to the apartment and plan to do so either on the 1st (which is my day off work) or in the weekend.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you guys as I don't have dog experience. But I do want to wish you both lots of luck!! I'll keep my fingers that everything will work out. I know what it's like to sneak in 'beyond the number allowed' pets into apartments, so I can totally relate.

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally posted by Pigsterz
I know what it's like to sneak in 'beyond the number allowed' pets into apartments, so I can totally relate.
On that note, it's great to see I'm not the only one breaking the rules. lol. I have a question, have you had any problems in doing so?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

None so far *keep fingers crossed*. Mine are cats & 2 guinea pigs, so they're pretty quiet. It is a pain though when there is maintenance work to be done in the apartment. Like when they change the air filters. We have to hide the pigs in a closet, and luckily 2 of our cats are scared of strangers so we just leave the closet open a bit and they tend to run in there and hide. Else we end up trying to fix things that break even though we can just easily call maintenance.

If you have to, you could always board your dogs for the day at your vet's. We've done that before too.

My big advice would be not to let any of your neighbors know about you harboring an 'illegal occupant'. I've always been careful about that, even if I become good friends with my neighbors. 'Cuz I never know if they get upset with me someday for something else and rat me out.

Life Is Short
Stay Awake For It! Caribou Coffee

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 03:00 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I don't have much advice for you on the dog side of things but when Deja gets back online after her holidays she should be able to help you!!! She knows a lot about dog training and is the moderator for the dog and cats forum! She should be back online soon. I too have snuck animals into an apartment I was living in......we weren't allowed any animals!!! My b/f wanted to do it properly so we wrote a letter to the real estate asking if I could have a rabbit (outside....he was an inside bunny!) and one of our points was that everyone else in the apartments owned cats. Turns out we dobbed all of our neighbours in cause no-one had asked if they could have cats they just got them!!! Lucky the woman at the real estate just gave me my letter back and told me that I hadn't been there and if I got an animal then she didn't know about it and to hide it when people came for maintenance work!!!lol Good luck with your little monster!!!! Deja will have some great advice rest assured!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 05:43 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

have you thought about maybe putting cookie in a baby's play pen while you are gone? you shouldn't have to keep her there forever, just until she learns some manners. that way, if she chews the pen, it's not the apt. my new dog basically ate up all the carpet in my apt and i have to pay $500 now. i finally gave in and bought a 4 foot high gate and i keep them BOTH in the kitchen. they are ok. let us know how it goes.

CUTE DOGGIES, BTW!

Tags
bitter apple spray, chew toy, chew toys, crate training, dog training, guinea pig, litter box, potty train, potty trained, potty training