need to ask a breeder a question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Red face need to ask a breeder a question

I have female poodles,two of them, and my sister in law wants to breed her male poodle to one of my females...however, I have not done this before so I have a couple of questions....

1st. Do poodles have easy labors and deliveries?

2nd. Do you breed them before the female starts bleeding when she's in heat?

3rd. What's the best info to read about this because I dont know of any breeders close to me that I could ask.

Any information would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Here are some links....as I would do alot of research before you even think about breeding..... not all these links may provide breeding info, but I'm sure if you needed to contact them, they would gladly help Please do alot of researching before you decide to breed.....Knowledge is best

http://www.starwood.fsnet.co.uk/start.htm
http://www.cindyspoodles.com/information.html
http://www.angelfire.com/al/poodlepups/
http://www.k9breedlist.com/e_p_photo/poodle_toy.htm
http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/breeding.htm#breeding (this one is interesting)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I agree totally with Kim (NavyWife) You should really do alot of research before breeding, breeding/labor can be very dangerous.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 AM
New Title? MEMBER.

You may also want to consider the cost of an emergency vet in case things do not go as planned. Do you have an emergency vet that could perform a c-section on your females? Also, are you able to provide round the clock care to puppies should your female not be able to feed them? This would require missing work/school most likely.

Also, why do you want to breed your dogs? Will you be bettering the poodle breed by doing this? There are so many dogs in shelters being killed everyday because of overpopulation. Where will your puppies go? If you already have an answer to this, perhaps you could encourage your potential owners to adopt from a shelter instead?

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

If you're really set on breeding, get both dogs tested for diseases common in poodles first.

Are you aware of all the health problems poodles are prone to? Poodle Health shows the most common diseases found in poodles, of which there are 10.

It's not right to say that any dog breed has "easy labour and deliveries." That's like asking if Hispanic women have less problems in pregnancy than Causasian women. Each dog is individual and unique.

An example would be Ditte, our samoyed's (Kirby's) mother. Samoyeds are a notorious hardy breed, but Kirby's mother experienced extreme labour complications and had to be rushed to the emergency vet around 1-2 in the morning for a Cesarean section. Three of the eight puppies died. Had Ditte not been rushed to the vet, she would have died as well along with ALL of her puppies. Even though Ditte was a Finnish champion, had excellent hips and eyes, she still had birth complications. The breeder had her spayed once the puppies were weaned.

Are you prepared to pay the cost of vet fees if such emergencies arise? Also, do you show your poodle? Showing her would at least give you an idea of whether or not she meets up to the breed standard.

Do you know the MEDICAL background of both poodles (male and female)? Even if the male and female you want to breed check out fine, you should seriously consider NOT breeding them if one of the dogs in their lineage either was not checked for serious health conditions or was known to have a serious health condition.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Much as I hate to reiterate what's been said, please, please research. C-sections at our ER office can cost anywhere from $800-$1500, depending on how complicated they are. That's my biggest pet peeve in this business - people who just throw two dogs together then want freebies when they have problems. If you're not educated in detail and aren't prepared for the cost/time/responsibility of breeding, please don't breed.

Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 04:25 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Much as I hate to reiterate what's been said, please, please research. C-sections at our ER office can cost anywhere from $800-$1500, depending on how complicated they are. That's my biggest pet peeve in this business - people who just throw two dogs together then want freebies when they have problems. If you're not educated in detail and aren't prepared for the cost/time/responsibility of breeding, please don't breed.
Yes, emergency C-sections are not cheap. Kirby's breeder had a savings account just for the dogs and Ditte's emergency C-section took a VERY large chunk out of it.

Breeding dogs is not easy nor is it cheap. Please don't expect to make a profit if you do everything correctly.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Please do not consider breeding dogs unless you have done MORE than enough research...good reputable breeders have years of experience with the breed that they have a passion for. Many are regular participants of breed specific rescue programs and some even run their own. Good breeders also show their dogs and only breed for the BETTERMENT of the breed. Dogs must be thouroughly health tested and MORE. There are far too many dogs out there that need homes and to be honest, you really don't need to be breeding. I would truely consider spaying the dogs. Why do you want to breed in the first place?

Anyways, I'm completely against breeding dogs unless you have had years of experience. Some of the best breeders that I know of have been obsessed and involved with their breed of choice for 20 years before they even thought about joining a male and female together. But anyways, here is a good list of what a truely great breeder is all about...please check it out (and I do hope you reconsider):

http://www.kateconnick.com/library/breeder.html
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Adolescent Pup

First off I whole heartedly agree wit heverything. I am a HUGE advocate of responsible breeding. I believe breeding should only be done for the betterment of the breed, i.e. to ensure healthy lines. I do not want to be redundant, but I have a few questions to ask: where did you get your dog? If the answer is pet store, rescue, or shelter, Don't breed! Do you have a three to five generation pedigree for your dog? Five being best. I f not don't breed! Are there atleast 4 titled dogs in the past three generations ( confirmation, obiedience ect.) If not Don't breed! Does your dog have an excellent temperment, breed confirmation and is health certified ( OFA ect.) free of genetic diseases? If you answered no to any of these questions Don't breed!

Tags
emergency vet, pet store, reputable breeder