Need Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Need Help

Hey Everyone!

My neighbor's dogs had puppies (pit bulls) and I'm thinking about getting one. Does anyone have any experience with pit bulls here? Her dogs are very sweet and they get along with my dogs, but all I've really heard are 'horror stories' about them. Can anyone give me some reasons to get one?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 03:34 PM

Well pitt bulls can be loyal, affectionate and protective of its "pack" or in other words you and your family. They can be great pets but a lot comes into play as far as temperment. Breeding can have an effect on all dogs. Dogs can be vicious if for example it came from a long line of violent dogs. Abused dogs could become violent too. Since you know the person you plan on getting the dog from you know how she treats her dogs. If the lineage is good and the pit bull goes through obedience training everything should be fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well Pure I used to be exactly the same as you....Pitbulls were dangerous and I'd never own one. When I got Nacho I didn't realise straight away that he had Pit Bull in him but I notcied after the first day that was exactly what he could look like at times. (In the pic I posted in the introductions he looks nothing like one but he can look exactly like one at other times, depends on his pose) He is the sweetest, most caring dog and I now honestly believe that Pit Bulls only have their horror name cause of bad owners. I am getting Nacho some training in the next couple of weeks cause he has started to get aggressive towards strangers in the yard but I'm 100% positive that that is his cattle dog coming out cause cattle dogs are very protective, dominant dogs and it is also my fault cause I babied him too much when he was younger cause he was scared of everything and I accidently allowed him to become dominant. They are very loving dogs and it's about time that nice dog owners out there started to support the pit bulls more because if reputable pet owners start owning sweet and loving pit bulls then just maybe in years to come they won't have the name that they have now!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 05:02 PM

I think if your a good pet owner and spend a lot of time socializing the puppy with other dogs and people plus obediance training- you shouldn't have a problem. Unfortunatly these dogs get into the wrong hands with ignorant people and that's why we hear so many horror stories.
People down the street from me got a pit bull, and I knew they were not the right people to get one. I know for a fact they did no dog socializing with this pit, sure enough when he got majure he got out of the house and attacked someones pet sheltie. But I know he's good with people because they have lots of friends coming over all the time. Only if they spent the time training and dog socializing maybe it wouldn't of happened. Certain breeds need more commitment in training than other breeds- I do believe it's the dogs owners who are responcible for their dogs actions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 06:12 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

When my brother and I were younger, he begged my mom to let him get a pit bull. She really wasn't thrilled with the idea because of the bad reputation they have. She talked to our vet at the time and he said that a dog is only as good as their owner. You can take a poodle and make it ferocious. So my mom gave in and let him buy a pit bull terrier puppy. Let me tell you what, that was one of the best dogs we've had! Her name was Nicka and she lived to the ripe age of 13. We never had a problem with that dog.

I say go for it! Just make sure you properly socialize him/her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bull terrier, cattle dog, dog owners, obedience training, pet owner, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pit bulls