Need Help With Growling Dog... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Need Help With Growling Dog...

Here's some background information on my dog Chandler.

Chandler is a 3 year old black cocker Spaniel. And it's no joke - he's the sweetest, most lovable dog to anyone. He has no problems whatsoever with humans, and gets along great with everyone, until one day...

I was going to pick him up from my bed (where he almost always sleeps) and I heard something out of him. A low growl! I was simply shocked. He never did anything like that to me before. If I get close to him and look at him in the eyes while he's sleeping on my bed, he'll growl, and his growl will intensify if I start petting him, especially under his body which to him means that he's going to be moved. He's never showed any teeth, well perhaps a small number of times. It is rare though.

My question is: How do I train him to stop growling at me, or anyone else for that matter when he is resting? I've tried giving him a simple tap on the nose and say in a firm voice "No", but this does little if anything.

Any help offered is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I know it won't be easy but you HAVE to keep him off your bed. If he is growling, he is challenging his position in the "pack." You have to bring him down a notch by keeping him on the floor. Don't ever back down from him but be VERY careful to not get bit! Consult a trainer if you think you need help.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I agree with Brenda. Definately keep him off the bed. I would consider some crate training too.

Also, does he only do this when on the bed?? I am thinking there might be a need for a vet checkup just to make sure he is in top health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
I agree with Brenda. Definately keep him off the bed. I would consider some crate training too.

Also, does he only do this when on the bed?? I am thinking there might be a need for a vet checkup just to make sure he is in top health.
What is crate training? I have not heard of this before... And he does this whenever he's sleeping. Most of the time, he's on furniture when sleeping, but I really don't think that is the problem. He's growled while being on the floor as well. And why would he need to go to a vet over growling? I don't see what you're saying there...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Seeker of Orbs

hey! another oregonian?? kewl. born and rasied there myself...tho not there now...

You could get it a nice little pooch bed and have it next to your bed, or like they said, you might want to get a crate, or " travel kennel"..... you can put a pillow or something in there....and train it so it knows when it's time for bed and you say, for example "kennel!", it'll go get into it's own bed. string cheese works wonders. we crate trained our brittany spaniels that way.....

good luck!

~beth

thank you!--->

RIP hagrid. Pheonix! RIP, sweet piggie[/URL]

Dexter, chester, chester the 2nd, george, cinimon, tiny, DareDevil.may they rest in peace.

Dugan
bozo and zozzo, and tiny
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 PM

I mentioned a vet visit because dogs don't just growl to be mean. Sometimes if a dog is in pain they will growl when touched.

For example. If he had arthritis or hip problems and was touched or lifted it would hurt. The pain tends to evoke growling as a response simply because its the easiest way to deter a person from touching them.

For information on crate training see this Link

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

My dog growls sometimes too and its when her arthritis is bad. I agree with Chrisanne and take him to the vet just in case. Is he a big dog, sometimes bigger dogs get arthrits sooner.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

I think he's great, health-wise. I pet him extensively all over this body, and he never has any problems with it or show any pain whatsoever. I think crate training is a great idea.

Any opinions on where to get a crate for a good price?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
My dog growls sometimes too and its when her arthritis is bad. I agree with Chrisanne and take him to the vet just in case. Is he a big dog, sometimes bigger dogs get arthrits sooner.
He's a medium-sized dog. Forty pounds or so...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:00 PM

he's a cocker she said, so not big. But can still get hip problems or arthritis.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
he's a cocker she said, so not big. But can still get hip problems or arthritis.
Is my name Loyalty4Life really that feminine-sounding? I'm 100% a dude.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

oh jeez thanks i didnt see that.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

good luck with your dog... I would agree there may be an underlying health problem is the dog is growling. might be as simple as while running slipped on a wood floor and bruised a rib and doesn't like you touching. But if he onlydoes it when he's sleeping... well, probably is an authority thing as mentioned. Crate training is a good thing to have under your belt.

and your name doesn't sound feminine. I think it may be the ratio of active members here leans more towards female so there may be a slight assumption tendency.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

It could be medical, but I think here it's purely a dominance problem. You need to treat him like a 'dog' and not as a 'person'. No more being on the bed, furniture etc. Don't let him get away with anything. Since he's gotten you to do what he wants with a growl, he'll likely try to get away with other things. He needs to know his place. Enrolling him in a refresher course for obediance works wonders for rebuilding a relationship of respect The crate training will also be benificial. You can get a crate at any pet store or they are readily available online. All shapes and colours.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

I can bank on the fact that he has no bruised ribs, etc. He'll let me pick him up any time during the day. Only when he's resting does he do it.

I think crate training is a great idea. I will look into it.

Thank you for your guys' input.

Tags
cocker spaniel, crate trained, crate training, pet store, vet visit