Need Help- Very Rough Foot Pads - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Need Help- Very Rough Foot Pads

Jack, my Golden Retriever has developed the roughest foot pads. It's to the point where I'm afraid once the cold weather sets in and he goes outside on harder ground and snow, they might crack.
Does anyone know of a product that I can start using now to condition his poor pads and soften them up? I'd really hate to see him suffer if I let it go to the point where one cracks and bleeds.
Also- because he's a large breed and getting older- he has very serious elbow callouses. He has a big soft bed and thick lamby padding in his kennel- but his favorite place to lay around during the day is the hard kitchen tile!
I've noticed that over the summer those have gotten worse too. I'd really like to find something to soften and get these areas in good shape too. I know I can't make them disappear, but I think I can make them softer. I'm just not sure what to use.

One more thing on the same subject. Max my Brittany, will be 6 months old in a few days. He'll be going off to Canada with my husband in late October on his first field/hunting trip. His pads are still puppy smooth and supple, but I'd like to condition them too, before his field experience. Would I use the same product on both dogs?
Thanks everyone- I really appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:45 AM

Hmmm, I was going to suggest something like bag balm (aka udder butter), I think that would help, but then again I don't know if that would make them tougher long term by softening them up. Might be worth a try
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:19 AM

When Buddy had really dry cracked pads I used" Protecta-pad" made by Tomlyn, restores lost moisture(foot and elbow cream).
Might be able to get through KV vet. I'll check if I can find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 AM

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 09:48 AM

Deja, I've used Bag Balm on Bach (GSD). It worked great & we never had any problems with it. You can find it almost anywhere.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 12:09 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I have a green tin container of Bag Balm. (LOL at the "udder butter"! HA HA)

We use this for just about anything... it works wonders!

-Mallory

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I was thinking about getting some Bag Balm! I didn't know if there was something better out there. Thanks everyone! I'll try the Bag Balm (udder butter
I'll also check out the stuff that Linda uses.... she has Goldens, those callouses and foot pads can get pretty nasty - but I suppose it's the same on all large breeds?
Thanks!

[center]

[

Tags
golden retriever