Need puppy training help PLEASE! - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Romping Ratties

Also want to point out that I have always been very good potty training puppies, and that was my job while at Crossroads, and I've never had a puppy do this before!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok cass make sure that all the smell is gone where she is going potty!! She can probably still smell herself there!!! I know there are some good products on the market but someone else will have to name them cause I don't know them!!!!
When she growls at you ignore her there and then!!! Don't pick her up, take her inside or move her wherever and then ignore her do it immediately!!! And only for 20 or 30 seconds and then try again!
And I agree...find her a trainer as soon as possible!! They will be able to give you heaps more ideas!!! don't give up on her Cass she'll be a great dog!!! Be patient....unfortunately a puppy can't have an adult dog's obedience levels! You are doing great!!!
Oh and if she only goes potty in the bathroom don't let her in there!!! And wait and wait and wait with her outside! Don't let her back in until she has already been then there will be nothing to come out!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Miss New Booty

Awesome advice everyone!

She is just adorable, Cass!!!

Carmen, you are talking about stuff to get out smells and stains from accidents right, to keep them from going back to the same place? Some of the best stuff here is Simple Solution or Nature's Miracle, takes the smells right out, too. Also, mixing some vinegar and water, too, is another one alot of people use.

Cass, you are doing great with her, girl!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

yep that's the stuff jackie!

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Romping Ratties

Well it seems like we have the growling under control now. I have done exactly what you said, just ignoring her and walking away as soon as she makes any sound, and she hasn't done it now all day! Also, the nipping thing....I went out last night and bought her TONS of treats and a new chew toy which she really loves. She is very treat motivated and will listen to anything I say if I have a treat, for the most part anyway. :p Instead of rubbing her when she goes potty I am now just talking to her saying how great she is, what a good dog etc. and gently stroking her back once or twice and that's it. Before I would rub on her face etc. and I think that excited her to want to play. Also the toy and new pig ear I got her seem to be keeping her content with the chewing. Everytime she chews on something else I say "NO" and then give her her toy, and if she takes it I tell her she is a good dog.

She actually didn't cry last night and waited until *I* got up this morning to let her out. One weird thing though is that she went to the bathroom on the sidewalk yesterday, and then this morning I had her in the grass and she ran to the house door (me thinking OK she was done and knew it so wanted to go back inside) and took a dump on the doorstep! It was hard not to laugh. So now she has a nice stuffy toy, a pig ear, some balls to chew on and some new treats. I got her some hard peanut butter treats and a Greenie too, so I think those things will keep her pretty occupied.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Romping Ratties

About the Natures Miracle, is that a stain product too? If not, what do you recommend? I know it removes the smell, so I will grab some while at work tomorrow. How much should I buy? Should I get a bigger bottle? How often should I be feeding her? Is three times a day OK until she is a bit bigger?

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:58 PM

Great that she has improved quite a bit - good news. As for a chewing toy you could also try a stuffed kong (rubber thing with hole that you fill with peanutbutter, frozen dog food, cream cheese, etc.) Actually there comes a recipe booklet with it as far as I rememer. It´ll keep them occupied for a long time and last very long too. There are different sizes for different sizes of dogs.
There is also something (forgot the name), it is square and you can put dry kibble in. They have to roll it around and little falls out. Makes a lot of noise but they love it :-)
Nature´s Miracle is for stain and odor removing, works well for other stains as well. It will take approx. two weeks until the smell is gone since it works on an enzymatic basis. Make sure that your read the directions.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

RR so glad to hear things are going great for you!!! Three times a day is fine until she is older, then cut back to two times a day!! you are doing great girl!!

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Miss New Booty

Yup, like Phoebe said, Nature's Miracle is for stains too. Also, Simple Solution works great! You can get big bottles of them both and even put it in your carpet cleaning machine if you have one, and clean the carpets with it! Also, if you have a stain you just can't get out, Hot Shot works great, too! It doesn't take out the smells like the others but works well on any kind of stains.

Yes, I agree Carmen, I would say 3 small meals throughout the day until she gets a little older.

Awww it sounds like she is really getting the hang of things! Can't wait to see more pictures of course!

~* Jackie *~

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 08:48 AM

Sounds like you're making progress! That's great news! I've had the best luck using Oxiclean on the pet stains. It seems to neutralize the odor the best too because Lady never went back to any spot twice after I used that.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Romping Ratties

Thanks everyone! You guys make me feel so much better! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice that has been given to me. I posted to another forum and recieved no advice. I really appreciate this forum, especially in a time such as this.

I will pick up a bottle of Natures Miracle tonight while at work and also a KONG. I planned on getting her a kong already but we were out of them at work the other night as hard as that is to believe. We are having a big sale, so everything is selling fast. I am sure we have more already though. I use them for my rats, and the rats love them! I put frozen dog food in them and it drives the rats crazy, hehe.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Romping Ratties

What is Hot Shot and where can I get it?

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Miss New Booty

I'm glad things are going so well, Cass! We are always here for ya!
I was trying to find a link so you could see what the Hot Shot looked like but I can't find one! AH! You can get it at Wal-mart, Target and probably the grocery store, too. Also, I think you can even get a value pack of 3 at Sam's or Costco. It's a blue bottle with an orange top. It's this stuff you spray directly at the stain and most of it even comes out with out scrubbing! It's good stuff

~* Jackie *~

Tags
australian cattle dog, cattle dog, chew toy, chew toys, clicker training, crate training, dog food, dog training, lab mix, litter mates, older dog, potty train, potty training