Need puppy training help PLEASE! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Romping Ratties

Need puppy training help PLEASE!

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding our new puppy Freckles. Everytime I take her outside to potty or she does something good and I praise her, she starts growling. Is this normal puppy growling from being excited or is it something I need to worry about? She also seems very nippy, is there anything I can do to stop her from nipping? I will have her on the bed and I can't pet her without nipping at my face. Sometimes she gets me and it hurts so bad. I don't want to smack her because I know that won't accomplish anything, so what do I do when she nips? How do I discpline her when she is being naughty? Also, how do I praise her without getting her too excited or growling at me? With a young child in the house I don't want a nippy dog. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Romping Ratties

Also how do I tell if she is being agressive or just getting excited? If I go to kiss her she will nip my nose. I don't think she knows she is hurting me, just wants to play but I don't like it one bit. I just want to make sure she grows up to be a good dog. She's very smart, and I've already trained her to sit and shake!!!

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Romping Ratties

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 05:07 PM

I would do a search for all posts by Deja in the dog forum. There are some that are stickies but I know she has probably the answer you need in one of her posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Romping Ratties

Oooh thanks so much Dena! I'll go do a search now. For now here is what I posted to another forum so if anyone has advice on this too let me know.

Hi everyone. I want to stick my pup here Freckles into some basic obedience classes as well as seak advice on other things and I was wondering if there was anything particular I should look for in a trainer? I want to make sure she gets the best of the best so I would appreciate any tips in choosing a trainer for my pup. I want to work on basic obediance and how to act appropriately in the home. So far I have tought her how to sit AND shake already! She is doing great, but I do think she would benefit being in a class type setting and knowing how to act when other people are around etc.

Yesterday she went for her first car ride to Wallmart and she did wonderfully! She cried at first, then proceeded to search the car for food. After that she just fell asleep until we got home. It was funny having two babies asleep when you get home, Dylan and the pup. LOL.

I also have a question regarding crate training. That was my "job" while at Crossroads, but we always had puppies, so I never had experience training older dogs and what size an older dog would need. So my question being, should I buy a big crate now that will last her while she's grown too, or should I stick with a smaller sized crate and work my way up? I am worried that because of the extra room in the crate with a larger sized one, she will potty in one area and leave the other area as her sleeping area. What do you all recommened? Also, what type crates do you all prefer to use? The ones we had at work were just the regular enclosed plastic kind. Does this make the animal more comfortable and secure, or do they prefer to see you while in the crate?

I also have a question about chewing. When she chews things that are not her to chew on or things I do not like her to chew, I take it away and give her her ball and then lots of praise for chewing on the correct toy. Is that a suitable way to stop her excessive chewing? Any other ideas? I am going to the dollar store today to pick up a few toys as they have great toys there for really cheap, and also getting a leash and collar to start lead training. Any tips for a house pup would be appreciated!

I'll post photos sometime tonight or tomorrow.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I don't have any advice but I hope that it gets worked out! Good luck Cass! Hugs!
Brandy

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Ok RR how old is your pup and what breed is freckles? I'm just curious!
With the nipping thing, your puppy is probably just trying to play. she has been playing with her litter mates for so long and now you are her littermate. To stop it yelp like a dog every time she nips you and follow with a loud 'ouch'. This should teach your puppy that you are hurting her and that humans aren't as tough as her puppies! Do it no matter how hard she nips you....you don't even want her mouthing you!
With the crate training.....if you are going to get her a crate big enough for when she is an adult you need to block a section off to avoid housebreaking problems, just like you said!!
toys - You are oding the exact right thing with taking the wrong thing away and praising the right thing! Keep it up and try not leave too many temptations around until she is past the chewing stage.
Collar and lead - Before you take your pup for a walk get it used ot the lead and collar first by just letting her drag the lead around the house on her collar. You can then get her used to loose lead walking in the house before she goes outside...it will make your job easier but you'll need to be patient! If she trys to chew her lead in the house distract her with a toy again!Growling - How are you praising her? you may need to change your methods so that she stops the growling. Every time she stops growling tell her 'good quiet' and give a reward. If she starts growling again ignore her until she stops. Even if it is just out of excitement you need to stop this behaviour or you will end up with an adult dog that growls a lot cause she was taught that was a good thing! Let me know how you are rewarding her so I can try and figure something out. I don't know where Linda has been lately cause she would have the answer I'm sure.....but I'll do my best!

On the trainer.......look for someone that uses clicker training and only uses positive methods and food rewards. anyone still using the choker chain should be a big no no!! You can also ask them how long they have been a certified dog trainer for and if they keep uo to date on the changing methods (which are all for the better) by going to courses etc. You want one that is as up to date as possible!! You could also ask them questions that you know they aren't going to bring up at training.....like what size crate etc. and suss out their answer. If they aren't confident and give out incorrect info. you know they aren't the trainer for you!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

hi there!!

i personally like the plastic, enclosed crates. it makes em feel more secure i believe. also, i think you are doing the PERFECT thing when it comes to the chewing.

as far as the nipping..
how old is the dog? what breed? i know deja has been really busy lately, but hopefully someone can help you soon on that.

good job with everything so far!!! pics please! haha.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Romping Ratties

Ok breed, LOL, is Aussie/lab. The mom is a purebred Lab and the father is an Aussie/Lab mix. As far as age, she was born May 1st so it still fairly young. When I praise her I just start rubbing her and saying Good Dog and getting all excited for her, clapping etc. Should I not touch her when I praise her? I can video tape it with my digital if you want LOL, if that will help? I've never had such a young pup before, and I really want to make sure I do things right!

I will most definitely try the yelping when she nips. How long does the chewing and nipping stage last? Tomorrow while at work I am going to get her some new chew toys, what do you guys recommend? Here's a pic of her.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Adolescent Pup

Drs. Foster & Smith has crates that come with a divider so you can get the size she'll need when she's full grown, but adjust it so it's small for her while she needs it small.

Growing up with beagle puppies I always had success getting them to stop chewing/biting on me with a firm "No" and then giving them something appropriate to chew and praising them. If she goes after your hand or something, just don't pull away while her mouth and teeth are around you because she'll see it as a game and keep coming after you. In the same respect, try to avoid playing tug-o-war with her because that can encourage aggressive behavior. It is a puppy thing and until they are done teething they just need to be shown what is okay to chew and what isn't. I would get her some hard rubber toys like a Kong, a ball with the nubby things on them, a nylabone, stuff like that. If you have a young child who has his own stuffed toys, avoid getting the puppy stuffed toys because if he gets used to playing with, chewing and shredding them, he may be likely to go after your child's toys.

By the way... your puppy is just ADORABLE!!

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i can't see the pic!!

great points jenn!

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Playful Pup

Hi there,

RSbunny had the perfect advise your you !!! Make sure that you only pay attention to her when she good, withdraw your attention when she is excited, nipping, etc. Itīll teach her in a humane way that she only gets attention (since that is what she wants) when she is not nipping. Make sure that you find a trainer with positive training methods, thatīs very important. Youīd better invest some time and money now instead of not being able to live with her in the future. Again - it is not normal that puppies nip and growl, they need to learn that it is not acceptable. Another thing, donīt get excited (clapping, making funny noises) since this is what arouses her. Stay calm and praise her calml. When petting her, donīt rub her vigourously but slowly in long strokes. Good luck - get professional advice soon. It is too complicated to do this over the internet.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 10:22 AM

Is freckles part Australian Shepard or Australian Cattle Dog. I'm assuming by her fur pattern she is part Cattle Dog. I know Cattle Dogs can be a little bit quirky sometimes you may want to read up on the breed to see if any of the behaviors are relavent to your little Freckles. May not do much but it will at least help you understand where certain behaviors are coming from and what to train for since she is nice and young.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe
Hi there,

RSbunny had the perfect advise your you !!! Make sure that you only pay attention to her when she good, withdraw your attention when she is excited, nipping, etc. Itīll teach her in a humane way that she only gets attention (since that is what she wants) when she is not nipping. Make sure that you find a trainer with positive training methods, thatīs very important. Youīd better invest some time and money now instead of not being able to live with her in the future. Again - it is not normal that puppies nip and growl, they need to learn that it is not acceptable. Another thing, donīt get excited (clapping, making funny noises) since this is what arouses her. Stay calm and praise her calml. When petting her, donīt rub her vigourously but slowly in long strokes. Good luck - get professional advice soon. It is too complicated to do this over the internet.
I already know it's not normal for her to nip and growl, which is why I posted asking advice. Everytime she nips I don't pay attention to her anymore. I am here every day during the day except for the occasional weekend day when I work. I only work nights twice a week for four hours, and during that time there is always someone here with her, that being Dan. I've already been looking into trainers and have an appointment on Thursday, but since I don't drive it's hard for me to get up and leave to do dog training, especially having to tote around a toddler. I am looking for someone who will come to my home. I can't and will not keep an agressive dog in my home with my son, ever, so this needs to be worked out ASAP, because if not she is going back to where she came from.

Today I was just calmy scratching her tummy and she started growling really loud at me and I thought for sure she was going to bite me. I picked her up, took her inside and stopped giving her attention. This is what I am talking about. I can't even pet her without her growling at me! She's already freaking me out and she's only 6 weeks old!

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena
Is freckles part Australian Shepard or Australian Cattle Dog. I'm assuming by her fur pattern she is part Cattle Dog. I know Cattle Dogs can be a little bit quirky sometimes you may want to read up on the breed to see if any of the behaviors are relavent to your little Freckles. May not do much but it will at least help you understand where certain behaviors are coming from and what to train for since she is nice and young.
Definitely shepherd, not Heeler at all. I would NEVER keep any Heeler mix in my house due to many different bad bad bad experiences with the breed. Her dad is long haired just like a shepard, and there were many Aussie type babies, red merles with long hair and blue and green eyes, that look nothing like Heelers, plus the father's dog is purebred Sheperd and his mom was a lab, so my girl is predominately (sp?) lab. Anyways, she also keeps crapping in the house, which is really getting annoying. Even after taking her outside to potty, she will wait until she is back inside to go to the bathroom, ON MY FLOOR! I can't have this because I am a renter, and I cannot afford to mess up my rental history or replace the carpet and get kicked out. I take her out all the time to go to the bathroom, and twenty minutes after she has finished eating. I am just getting extremely frustrated.

Tags
australian cattle dog, cattle dog, chew toy, chew toys, clicker training, crate training, dog food, dog training, lab mix, litter mates, older dog, potty train, potty training