Need some advice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Need some advice

ok this is probably going to sound a bit weird but since I've been pregnant I've noticed all the animals act differently towards me. Now for the most part it's just their particular behaviour...Milko has to be in the same room that I'm in, the rabbits are a little bit hostile towards me..Cindy, well I haven't noticed much change in her to be honest but Biscuit is a real problem. At first, she was just sneaking into the loungeroom all the time. The first trimester wasn't so much fun for me and I spent the majority of my time on the lounge. I usually feed the animals but for the most part I couldn't even handle feeding the rabbits so feeding Biscuit her raw foods was definently out. I put her constant need to be in the loungeroom down to the lack of attention she was getting from me (I did my best but it wasn't like what she normally gets.)
Since I've started feeling better I've started feeding the animals again and making sure that all the pets get their fair share of attention (from both me and Alex). A couple of weeks ago Biscuit started to poo in the dining room. I thought it was just poo (couldn't see or feel any wet patches) but after smelling something funky for a few days we decided to get rid of the carpet in the dining room and there was pee everywhere underneath. We did that on sunday. It's now Friday here and I caught Biscuit preparing to poo in the dining room once, she has peed twice in the spare room and this morning she peed and pood in our bedroom.
All other times I thought maybe I had missed her cue to go outside (usually she runs into the loungeroom to let us know but she's still constantly trying to get in there but for the most part I just kick her out...she only goes to the toilet twice a day) but this morning I put her outside and she didn't go to the toilet but came in, ran into our room and did her business there.
At first I thought it was stress from Cindy living here permanently but she has spent many times with Cindy..we got cindy every weekend for a while and she spent 5 weeks with my p's last year total with Cindy, plus would be with Cindy every day I went to work.
So blaming Cindy doesn't really make sense.
So what's the best way to get her to stop this? Catching her in the act is hard cause she does it when I'm busy doing other things. I'm going to start closing all the doors to the rooms which will limit where she can run and hide to go and do her business. My p's are going to polish the boards for us so I'm not cleaning up any mess on carpet and we won't be leaving any smells behind when cleaning (preparations are in place now for the boards..they need some repairs done on them first and we're just waiting for the builder to give us a time) but what's the bst way to train her out of this?
Do I go back to the basic toilet training, as if she were a puppy (which I'm familiar with so if that's what I need to do I don't need to know how) or do I need to approach it differently considering it's a stress factor?
I will pick up pee and poo for however long it takes...let it be known now that all my pets are here to stay. Biscuit is getting walks fairly regularaly now, and it's just her cause Cindy can't keep up, plus I take time out every day to play with her, and just love on her. Alex also makes sure he gives Biscuit lots of attention and we will continue this routine once the baby is here. She will still be an indoor dog, and we're going to get her use to things like the car seat, and the stroller when walking, plus let her into the nursery etc. We're not shutting any of the animals out, we know that's a bad thing to do for jealousy issues but it seems Biscuit already is stressing!
Help guys!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I'd say go back to basics. However, I would add as much extra attention in there as you can. I wouldn't say that it is because she isn't getting enough attention persae, but more that she senses the change in you. Animals are very sensitive to your hormone changes.

When I was preg with my son, my cocker became very protective of me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks chrisanne! I'll take her back to the basics. Milko has become the protective one out of all of them! Yesterday I slept all day long and he didn't leave my side the whole time. Normally he's off doing his best to kill the house.
I guess Biscuit just needs us to prove that we still love her just the same! I might get her back into some training (at home) too cause she loves that and it will be another way to interact with her.
Alex is the one complaining about it and yet I'm the one cleaning it! Go figure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Be very careful with cat mess when u r pregnant it is dangerous for the baby

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree with Chrisanne ... Biscuit might sense that something is different and it makes her nervous and she's acting out because of it. That's happened to me with the cats a bunch of times. They will start doing things that are destructive or bad behavior and I'll go crazy trying to figure out why they are behaving that way and then all of a sudden it will click that the behavior started the same time as something else changed in their lives ... then I kick myself in the rear for being so stupid to not have noticed earlier ... lol .. .oh well.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:43 AM

My cats not only follow me from room to room but have to be on top of me at all times. My dogs have the need to sniff my butt at all times and like to sniff my stomach but their behavior is fine otherwise.

If you weren't able to feed her like you normally do in your 1st trimester, maybe it could also be (along with your hormonal changes) a change in her diet or a change in the time she was being fed.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Dena she's being fed the same, cause Alex has been doing it and I just told him what to make every night and she's never been on a scheduled feeding plan. Sometimes she gets fed early, sometimes it's really late. It just depends. She does however sit and wait for Alex to come home which is something she never used to do...I think she guessed that he was going to feed her. But for the most part I've been feeding her again...probably when I started to feed her again is when she starting messing in the house.
Yesterday afternoon she ran outside and did a poo straight away...I gave her all the praise in the world and then she pood in the spare room again not much but she didn't need to go so that was definently a marking thing.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Carmen, is Biscuit any better?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Well she hasn't gone to the toilet inside since that last pooing incident which is a relief. This weekend Alex is ripping the carpet out of the third room, just to get rid of it (considering it's going anyway) to make sure she doesn't go there again (I steamed the whole room but she still seems very anti going on hard floors so we're doing it as a precaution.)
The only problem I'm having now is that she doesn't want to go to the toilet in front of me. I have to try and catch her in the act. Last night before bed Alex let her out and I watched from the window and when she was peeing I told her she was a good girl. She came running back inside but still needed to do a poo. Alex let her out again and I lost sight of her in the rain so I went out just to try and find her and couldn't. I have a feeling she snuck through the fence and went in next door's yard so I have to check that today but both Alex and I told her she was a good girl and gave her lots of attention outside in the rain before bringing her back in. I'm not sure why she won't go in front of me cause I've only ever said 'oh Biscuit' when I've seen that she's gone to the toilet inside cause I have never caught her in the act to say no or anything.
At least she's back to going outside...it's a big help!
Thanks for asking

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

That is great she is doing potty outside again! I only wish animals could talk! I guess that is what makes owning animals special. You always have to be on top of things! That's good you are getting rid of the carpeting! I know you hated it. You will be much happier with hardwood.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Denise I spoke to soon! Last night she came in from being outside and peed and pood in the third room! It has been raining for a week now and she hates wet grass so I think this is adding to her problem but it's sunny today so hopefully that's the end of it.
Alex was really frustrated last night when I told him and he said that if she didn't stop she had to go (I quickly put a stop to those thoughts) and explained to him that if a child had gone through all the changes she had gone through in the past few weeks they'd act out as well and just cause she doesn't speak english doesn't mean she isn't confused and acting out. It kind of helped him see it in a different light and he knows that I'd get rid of him before I got rid of the dog if he continued like that! It goes back to his childhood mentality..if his p's had problems with an animal they'd give it away rather than deal with the problem. Not only am I pregnant, but she used to see my p's at least three days a week and have sleep overs at their place. The three day a week thing stopped when I finished work, she did sleep over at their place still but they have now moved to a place that doesn't allow animals (although my mum is going to ask if it's ok to have a dog for a night so Cindy and Biscuit can take turns in staying with them) so that stopped too, Cindy moved in, which is minor but it still is a change and it all happened within one month. No wonder the poor girl is acting out!! She must be wondering what happened to her routine. I know this is only a temporary thing and at least she isn't going every day now.
She was also very insistent on being in the loungeroom and she already has stopped persisting so much on that one. She still has her moments but I can see improvements in both that and her toilet habits so I think a couple more weeks and we'll be back to normal again. Keep your fingers crossed!!! I'm just not going to tell Alex when she goes inside if he isn't home so he doesn't stress as much!

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww man, Carm! First Milko, now Biscuit! Ahhh! It sounds like she is just stressed about everything to me. Like you said, her routine is different now. I will keep my fingers crossed that she improves with this, hon!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanks Jackie! Once she's back to going outside I'm going to bell train her so she hits the bell everytime she wants to go to the toilet. I'm hoping that by introducing that we won't go through this again when the baby arrives. I broke her of a lot of habits when we first got her, habits she was used to for three years. she's only been doing this for a couple of weeks so I know I can break her of this too!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Oh I wish you luck... Ok i dont know what to say about the peeing thing... But I do know when you have the car seat and the stroller, also get a life size baby and introduce that to biscuit. this may sound weird but i was watching TLC baby story and thats what a couple did when they were expecting and they had to act like the doll was a real baby, and when the dog got too rough they scollded and when he was good they praised then they put him in the nursery, and watched him. It was so cute because once the baby was born he only kissed the hand and he slept near the crib. It was like the baby was its own pup. Sorry completely off topic.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tarzan Mama of Two

Trickie we are planning on doing that. Biscuit is used to stretching out across the back of the car seat so when we get the car seat we are going to put it in the car, and Alex will drive around while I sit on one side and treat her for not lying on the car seat. We will put a doll in there too so she is used to the seat having something in it.
When we get the stroller she will be taught to be along side it on walks before the baby arrives and she will be allowed in the nursery when it is set up too, but we're going to teach her to not lie up against the cot etc. She's already extremely gentle around small children now so I don't think she'll get rough around the baby. She is already not allowed in the loungeroom or our bedroom and that's where baby will be for play time on the ground (with me supervising of course cause I know curiosity may get the better of Biscuit and she might cross that imaginary line).
I'm also going to get Alex to bring home clothes from the hospital, something from me that has had the baby on it and something just from the baby so that she is familiar with the smell before bubs even arrives.
We will do the same for Milko with the clothes but he simply will not be allowed in the nursery when the baby is asleep (door will be closed) so he can't curl up in the cot and cause the baby to suffocate.
The animals was the first thing I thought of when I fell pregnant. Biscuit has been around a baby, and she wasn't even interested in him at all. I know it will be different when there is one here permanently but that was a good start at least.
I do have another dog right now but no-one is expecting her to live that long but if she is still around then she will go through the same training (except she doesn't go for walks). The animals won't be left alone with bubs, and we already pull Biscuit's tail, pull her ears etc. and Milko is good at doing that too and she doesn't care. I've done that since day one cause we have a 3 year old neice