Nellie may have Narcolepsy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Nellie may have Narcolepsy!

Ok so Nellie has always slept heavy however there have now been two incidences within the past week that were very alarming.
Earlier in the week mom left early morning to take my dad to work. Nellie normally gets up, comes in my room and goes back to bed when mom gets back. Mom left, she didn't move... she came back and she was laying in the exact spot she left her. Mom called her, no movement... shook her and finally after a minute she came to.
Mom thought it was odd, but brushed it off.
Last night... my dad went to bed, Nellie was already in bed (she sleeps with them most the time) and he asked her to move. Normally she moves to the end of the bed. She didn't he kept telling her... no response. He shook her, no response... eyes were open, but no movement anywhere. He picked up her whole rear end and shook her... calling her name the entire time... nothing. He even put his hand over her muzzle and kinda pinched... nothing. He yelled my mom's name and said I think something is really wrong with Nellie! Turned on the bathroom light... trying to see what her eyes were doing(the overhead burned out). So he never got to see clearly. Mom started applying deep pressure and shaking her... then all the sudden she woke up and was like nothing happened.
They told me all this this morning... so I called my vet. In the meantime I did research online... (glad I did). From what I found... Narcolepsy in dogs dont always happen when they are awake and they just fall asleep doing whatever they are doing. They can be asleep and can go into a catalyptic state when the body trys to go into REM sleep mode causing the body to become paralyzed. They are awake, but can't move. Only thing that functions is eyes, and the muscles that control breathing.
My vet said basically he had no clue. He was gonna talk to some Neurologists about it. He did a full blood panel to rule out other things, and wanted to run another thyroid. My vet has been a vet for YEARS and is soooooo nice. He was like, so tell me about what you read? and said, "so is there any treatment for it?" I was kinda laughing on the inside... haven't had many vets ask ME what is it? and how is it treated? lol...
Anyway, so I won't know anything until Monday or Tuesday.

So another part of the story... When we were leaving the vets office there was a lady with a pit. We had to pass it to go to the desk and it tried getting to Nellie. We just walked on and the lady just acted real non-shalant. We had to walk by again to go out. The lady had no tight hold on the dog with a lot of slack and just let it approach Nellie, growl and jump on her. The lady never said anything to her dog while we are trying to get out the door. Well it scared the crap out of Nellie (us too) and she jerked out of her collar! The door was open and the clinic is right by Interstate-35. Nellie blindsided ran loose in a panic and headed straight for the access road! Mom left me and went screaming and running. Nellie stopped and squatted right at the patch of grass before the access road. Mom kneeled down and called her, she was afraid to approach her for she may run again. Nellie came a little closer... then pooped... by this time the whole clinic staff was outside and a male vet tech came out with a leash and got Nellie.
The whole time I was inside the lady said NOTHING... not "im sorry"... "oops" nothing...Mom and I about had a heart attack.
Mom was too concerned with getting me and Nellie home safe or else she said she probably would have kicked that ladys butt and told her that if she cant control her dog any better, then take it in a crate, wear a halti, muzzle, something! Cause Nellie is a $10,000 dog that is a member of our family, and my best friend and because she can't control her dog we could have lost her. She didn't act like what happened phased her in the least... she didnt even look to see what happened to nellie for a little bit and just peeped out the window.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

what kind of dog is she?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

She is a labrador retriever...

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh Misty!!! What a horible experience (at the vet) That lady was extremly rude. Those are the kinds of people that shouldn;t have pets!! I really hope Nellie's condition is something that will not affect her in the long run. I know how much she means to you.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I hope Nellie turns out to be OK, and I'm glad that Pit didn't hurt her (or at least that was the impression I got.)

I am curious though. You said she's a $10,000 dog. Did you mean that she's worth a LOT to you and your family or is she actually worth $10,000?

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
or is she actually worth $10,000?
I believe she is. She is an assistance dog for Misty I believe. All that training has got to be worth alot.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Ohhh! Her being a service dog never entered my mind. Yeah, she would be worth a lot.

Isn't it a pretty big crime if someone's dog attacks a service dog? I thought I remembered reading that when I was researching service dogs. (I hope to one day be able to raise service dogs.) I mean, service dogs are expensive and very important.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I dunno if its a crime... I wouldn't doubt it... would be interesting to know though just incase!! I tell ya what would be a crime... when my mom put her foot up their butt... she'd go to jail! lmao!
Yeah it costs $10,000 to train a service dog.
Makes sense if a cop dog gets killed the person that killed it gets the same thing as taking an officer down.

Thank God Nellie wasn't hurt... he didn't bite her (although I definately feel he could have) cause he growled and jumped on her back as she was trying to walk by. Then she pulled out of her collar and fled and could have got hit by a car!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Liability
A guide dog that is attacked or intimidated by an aggressive or unruly pet dog may become damaged for life and unable to work as a guide. An attack can take a huge emotional toll on the guide dog user. In many states, laws are being introduced which protect guide dog handlers and their dogs from attack and harassment by errant dogs and people. The irresponsible dog owner can be held financially liable for the actions of their unsupervised pets, and may be accountable for the replacement costs of thousands of dollars for the guide dog. Under certain circumstances the pet owner can also be incarcerated for up to six months.
- taken from http://www.guidedogs.com/res-pet_ownership.html

-

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

My mom will be taking Nellie to the groomers tomorrow which is right by the vet clinic. You think I should print that and see if they'd let her put it up in the clinic?

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Well if you want to, go for it. I would make sure that the author doesn't mind you printing it up and displaying it somewhere.

If you want to educate the public a bit on service dogs, I would suggest finding an article (or writing one yourself) about service dog etiquette. I understand that a lot of service dog partners encounter folks who want to pet the service dog, and sometimes they do it without even asking first! I have read countless times that it distracts the dog and can really mess things up for the partner who depends on the dog. I also understand that a good number of people have introduced their dogs to service dogs without asking, though oftemtimes do actually ask permission to. This is another big problem/distraction.

Do you ever encounter these problems? Even if not, it might be a good idea to print up a page on service/guide dog etiquette and ask to display it at the vet's.

-

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah... alllllllllllll the time!! Sometimes I am scared to even walk her cause we have had loose dogs approach us from people yards. Nellie is hooked to my chair, if one decided to harm her... there'd be nothing I could do.

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Then I HIGHLY suggest spreading some service dog etiquette around your town. If enough people stop to think about the position you and your partner are in, things may start changing around there.

I have always wanted to ask someone who has a service dog... Does it bother you if someone comes up and asks to say hi to Nellie? I can understand the frustration and annoyance of someone coming up and just petting her. But what if someone asks? Is it a bother to you or do you welcome them?

-

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

No... I am lenient. If I know you, and you know Nellie I don't care at all. If people ask first I normally don't mind either... unless we are in a high distraction enviroment, like a resturant, pet store, or any other place if there is a large crowd and/or other dogs.
The thing that bothers me is when people dont ask at all... or when we are walking and someone as they are walking by sticks their arm out and runs it over her, or if people start whistling "here doggie", Or people walking up behind her and touching her rear end. etc.
Had one lady once when we were in an elevator line her kids up (didnt say a word to my dad or I) and is like "look pet the puppy". I came sooooooooo close to patting her kids on the head and saying "ohhhhhh so cute". She wouldn't like me (a stranger) touching her child, just as I don't like a stranger touching my dog. Cause Nellie IS my child! Not to mention its really bad to teach your kids to approach a dog they don't know, service dog or sweetest dog in the world... it don't matter!
I KNOW FOR A FACT Nellie would never harm anything (she won't even touch a loose chin running around, and she has tried to clean baby kits), but how do they know that?? They don't!
But I have to say, the educated people normally outweigh the others... I have heard so many people telling their children they cant pet the dog cause its working, or people staring and say shes beautiful but I know I cant pet her (which I normally let them).

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Last edited by EyesOfTXChins; 09-16-2004 at 10:39 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Wow. It's been SO long since I ran into any parents who tell their kids it's OK to pet a strange dog. Often I will see kids start to approach strange dogs and parents jump in and say instantly, "Don't EVER pet a dog you don't know. Ask their owner first."

-

Tags
labrador retriever, pet owner, pet store, vet clinic, vet tech