Nervous Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Nervous Dog

I have a 12 year old bichon frise. He has always been affectionate, but lately he has been following me everywhere I go, including the bathroom, a place he has previously hated, because it is where the bathtub is. Yesterday he was also panting excessively and shaking. IT made me nervous, and I made a vet appointment for today and started researching online. Everything I read was either signs of pain or stress, but I wanted to know if anyone had any other insights so I have some ideas myself when I go to the vet. (As a side note, I'm also considering the fact that it may be because it is just after the fourth of july and he HATES fireworks). IF anyone has had any experience with this, please share so I have more than my own opinion to consider. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Betta Bomb

My 12 year old dog's behavior has been changing too. Let's face it, senior dogs dont live forever, and I think dogs are far superior than we humans have been giving them credit for, and they understand the life=death concept. Coco has been sleeping more and more but STILL follows me from room to room. He never wants to be alone, and it breaks my heart but where once he would pee and poo when left alone in the house he's actually reversed this habit and for some reason waits, regardless of his aging bladder.
The july fireworks also could have somehting to do with it, loud high pitched whisteling sounds too set Coco off into panicked frenzies.
Just relish the moments you get to spend with him. Thats all I can say, Ive taken to showing Coco as much of the city as possible now-to allow him a new walk everyday Im able and where he's less anxious and excited over everything now, it's easier to let him meet people and doggies. Good luck, tell us how it is with your dog!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 AM
I am allergic to maths

I agree, its probably just his age He just wants to be with you. I have a freind with a 15yr old greyhound who follows her everywhere. He still loves walks but shakes and pants all the time Keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hoping nothing more serious about him, maybe you could take him to any dog park for walk, play and fun with other dogs. Behavior change due to health condition is quiet normal for older dogs.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

don't take him to the park or play with other dogs until you know what is up. have him checked by a vet before exposing other dogs to him.

Good luck!

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Playful Pup

Valerian helps with anxiety ( fireworks or T.storms)

Hi All - I have referred many of my dog clients to Valerian for
T. storm and Fire works anxiety-
( I am not able to do LINKS yet ) -
so If you want the full write-up do a search:

Google search - Valerian - canine dosage - Marie Peppers

VALERIAN ROOT EXTRACT TIME RELEASE (60 TABLETS)

Valerian, Time-Release [Nervous]. This herb has been used as a sleep aid for over 1,000 years. Its ability to help relax the central nervous system, promote feelings of calm, decrease levels of anxiety and stress, and enhance restful sleep are known to millions the world over. Valerian is not known to cause morning grogginess

I write for a pet/ health and Alternatives site:
allexperts.com ( alternatives for pets)
You can do a search at the allexperts site:
Just ......valerian / pet nurse marie

Valerian is very safe to use -
I like the time release one

take care -
Marie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

sorry I havent updated on him. Hes doing fine. The vet checked him over and he has a clean bill of health. A few works after the fourth of july the constant panting and shaking stopped for the most part. Thank you for the support!

Tags
older dog, panting, shaking