Neurotic Behaviour??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Neurotic Behaviour???

I need some advice on something.

My current foster dog has been acting kind of weird the past two days.I don't know if it is health related or behaviour related,but it freaked me out.

She will be sleeping or laying down and all of a sudden she will jump and start biting her tail (which at first looks like she is just biting an itch),then she starts barking at her tail and then snaps at the air,the blanket or anything around her.And today she did it and started snapping crazily at the air and then looked like she was about to lunge at me! When she does this there is a look of fear or worry on her face.I was going to muzzle her,but then she stopped.It is hard to explain,but she goes nuts and I am afraid that she may actually bite me or Chloe if we are too close,even if it is accident.

Now she only does this randomly and only started it last night.She is really mellow and laid back and quiet otherwise.She is asleep right now.She is also well mannered.I looked at her tail and around her bum,but there are no wounds or anything and I didn't see fleas,ticks or anything.Plus she was treated for all that before she came here.

She is going to the vet soon for a routine check-up on all new greyhounds that come into the province.I am going to mention it to them and see what they say,but in the meantime,if someone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
is a little "special"

I think shes just a little nervous. Maybe something startled her and she acted out. Its probably just her way of dealing with anxiety or fear. All doggies are different!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

It could be that.
She hasn't done it anymore since I posted this.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:57 PM

maybe she had a vivid dream. Say her name a couple of times in a louder but not yelling voice till she snaps out of it. Then give her lovin' Cisco does this, also a couple of tmes, just no tail chasing yet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well, i know doggies definitley dream, mine sure did. i think your hound is just settling the new home. it'll take a week or two before she really gets the hang of being with you. when it does that, after it's done snapping, pet it and coo to it, soothing rubs, tell it that everything's okay.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

The first thing that came to me was fleas. I know you said you couldnt see any on her...but if she does it again, I would wonder if she was getting bit (by something, whether it was a flea or not) and thats what spooked her. With Max, I always knew if he had fleas because he would jump up like that and try to bite his back. Its weird that she barked and bit at the pillow though...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

She had her vet appointment today and it is most likely fleas and thats just the way she reacts to the biting.She is on "Advantage" now and might be going on "Sentinal" soon,because she may have worms.I will know soon,as they are testing a sample of her stool.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay im glad the vet could help!! now she can be on the road to recovery! *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan