Neutred today - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Neutred today

I'm new here so I'm not quite sure where to put this. My puppy is getting neutred today and since the apin meds are to much money, I was wondering if anybody knew of any type of baby meds I could give to him. I was told by the vet my sister works for that we can give him St. Johns baby stuff. I was wondering if that is true. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:22 AM

Isn't aspirin LETHAL to dogs? (or at least not good for them, but I think I have heard it can kill them)

Just thought I'd ask!
Of course we wanna be on the safe side. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will see this thread and elaborate!

I know that they can have baby benadryl. But I don't think that's what you're looking for, so nevermind me!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 AM

Actually, baby asprin is perfectly safe for dogs. I would not recommend giving it until discussing it with the vet first for proper dosage. It is tylenol that is not safe for dogs.

Asprin as I understand it is lethal to cats though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

My GSD has to take Aspirin. My vet actually just recommended giving it to her instead of picking up meds for them every month. Of course ask your vet about it though.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Be very sure to discuss it with your vet. I would prefer not to give aspirin after a surgical procedure, as it thins the blood.

Tylenol and Ibuprofen should never be given to your dog without a veterinary recommendation. There are 'safe' doses, but we frequently see Tylenol toxicity due to slight overdoses.

Stephanie

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

I had asked my vet and they told me that I can't give him anything like that. That he has to take the pain medication. Which I thought was kind of odd. So I can give him baby asprin without any problems.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:44 PM

I called a 24 hour emergency vet clinic because we were never offered pain meds to take home with our dog. The lady there told me that canine buffered aspirin is normally okay (but it has to be canine aspirin, real aspirin can harm them). BUT aspirin is a blood thinner, and he had just had surgery. She said it was a judgement call. It would probably be okay, but she didn't feel comfortable giving me the go ahead, just in case the blood thinning aspect harmed Ein.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 05:21 PM

I can't remember what the vet gave me for Moose (cause it was so long ago) but I don't think he need very much. Doesn't the vet usually add the pain meds in with the total cost of the neuter? I'm pretty sure that is what my vet did. I know he did when I had my kitten spayed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
sye

if you decide to give an aspirin to your dog, make sure you get a coated one so it's not so harsh on their stomachs. i give my dog a coated buffered aspirin for when her knee joints cause her discomfort.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
It is tylenol that is not safe for dogs.

Asprin as I understand it is lethal to cats though.

Yeah...sounds like it is most likely best avoided if there are other alternatives. But as long as it is discussed thoroughly with a vet, I would say to use your best judgment and think about what your mom would have done for you when you were a kid and all med decisions were up to her.

Tags
emergency vet, vet clinic