Never noticed... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Talking Never noticed...

...just how smart Dakota can actually be. I tell you she puts up this front that she is clueless and stupid, probably in order to get outta doing certain commands.

The other day (a couple weeks back at this point) I took her to the Pet Supplies Plus and got her this squeaker frog... Whenever I played with her and she had that toy, I always called it her Frog out loud.

She must've caught on. A few days after having it, she knows! Ben put all her toys away into her toy basket (she leaves them sitting ALL over! haha) and whenever the toys are put away she suddenly has the urge to pull them all out. (What dog doesn't!?)

So I told her to get her Frog, and she buried her head deep into her basket, pulled out her bone, dropped it beside her, stuffed her head back down, fished around a second or two and - Out pops her head with the Frog! - Which she is excitely squeaking the heck outta!

Then upstairs another time, I'd brought up the Frog for her to have at night, and Ben didn't know so he brought up her stuffed Dolphin (just some toy we brought her back when we went to Texas).

He was driving her nutso because he'd keep telling her, "Get your Dolphin, Kota! Get your Dolphin!" And she'd pick it and try to give it to him to play with her, and then once she did that, he'd start telling her, "Get your Frog!! Get it!" And so she'd drop the Dolphin and pick up the Frog like "Goodness can't you make up your MIND!?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Just Call Me Oblivious!

That's too funny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

LOL!! She is growing into such a wonderful girl. Lord help anyone who messes with baby Delta. I bet she's gonna be very protective.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What, no pics to go along with this story

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

that's so awesome! you should totally take her on Pet Star!!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

LOL Jane, I'm sure she would decide that would be a wonderful time to put up her front.

Chrisanne, I sure think she will take to Delta. Probably mostly curious at first, but as Delta grows I'm sure that Dakota will love all the pulling of fur and grabbing of her tail, tugging on her ears, etc. I'm sure that Dakota will be very good with her. Ben plays roughly with her and she just stares at him when he pokes her sides and tosses her around on the floor. Ben calls the moments like that (when he pokes and prods her, pulls her ears and yanks her tail "Baby Practice" to make sure she won't nip. What a tard. I always tell him to knock it off. Poor Kota!) For awhile I was concerned because Dakota was such a rambunctious pup, but she is really starting to calm down. (We've allowed her to stay out of her cage the past few times we've been away, and she is great!) Today Ben's cousin Joel came over and he commented on how much she was able to sit still. "Look, she's just standing there! She never used to do that!"

Lixx, sorry! I'll keep pictures in mind next time I have a story... Actually I already have another one, but still no pics because I don't have my camera. Don't shoot me!

So yeah we're over at Cindy and Dan's house because they're outta town and have Central Air whereas at our place we don't even have a window air conditioner. So I take Dakota outside this morning before I fed her. There is this big spot of tall weeds and grass from where Dan and Cindy's pool used to be. Kota brought me her yuckie tennis ball and I tossed it in amid the weeds wondering if she'd find it. She hopped around in it like a rabbit for awhile, searching for it for about 5 minutes non stop. She eventually found it and brought it back to me all proud of herself. So now I'm doing the same thing like with the Frog, everytime she goes and searches for the ball in the weeds I tell her to "Find It!" A command that she's never quite gotten the grasp of... She'd always looked at me like, "Well give it to me." Like what I wanted her find was in my hands when it was actually in another room. So once she got the hang of that (on her own) I made her "Go Around" (another thing she basically taught herself and I put a command to) so she circles around me to my left and I put her in a sit, stay, which is hard for her to stay in once I toss the ball into the weeds. She jerks her body like she temporarily forgets what I said about staying, but doesn't budge from where her butt is planted on the ground. I wait a minute and then send her off running after it, with "Good girl, go find your ball!!!"

I swear I could have a SAR dog in the making! LOL

I will have to take pictures of her doing this sometime. Its neat.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

that sounds really cute! Your dog is WAY smarter then mine ... i think she will do fine when the baby comes. I'll tell lady to find her tenis ball and i'll put it one of my dads shoes and she'll find it but walk around with a shoe on her nose lol.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

OMG That is too funny!!! You should take a picture of THAT!

And speaking of noses... I was sitting watching TV in the bedroom eating dry Kix cereal *yum*. Dakota isn't allowed in the bedroom because then she'll try to get into the cat box in the master bathroom or eat the cats food... so she was just sitting in the doorway begging from far away. So I pitched her a couple Kix balls one after another, and I started laughing so hard I thought I just might've peed myself ---- I tossed one at her, which she missed catching with her mouth. I see her bend her neck down to eat it off the floor, which I thought she did. I look back at the TV, eat a handful, look back at Dakota, who is staring at me intently waiting for another Kix ball, and stuck to her nose, right smack in the middle, is the last Kix I just tossed her!!! I tried to get Ben and Joel to see it, but they were standing so her nose was kinda outta the view for them (she was still sniffing the ground looking for it). It stuck there for a good minute after I noticed and cracked up about it... She was totally unaware! I wished SO badly I could've gotten a picture of that creamy colored Kix ball stuck her to jet black nose!!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mal! Dakota sure is gtting clever!! Biscuit decides she wants to play so we toss a toy to her three times maybe and then she lies on it and goes to sleep. Too much of a workout you see!!! Last night she was full of beans so I told Alex to drive her to the video shop cause we had to return a video. Well that's three streets away and all Biscuit has to do is sit in the car. She came home and was snoring in about 2 minutes!!! There's no time to teach her anything like that, it's just all too much for her hectic life!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
pet supplies, sit still