New 4 month old Husky - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

New 4 month old Husky

Hi new here...

I now have 3 Siberian Huskies, 15yr old male (Nikki/Nikk), 2yr old female (Kali), and a new addition 4 month old (Kodiak).

I had no idea I was getting a new puppy. My wife and I had planned to get a new pack mate for our 2 year old, as the inevitable approaches with our beloved 15yr alpha male Nikki. We figured if we waited for after the fact, I'd feel I was trying to replace my very old friend, which can never be replaced. We felt this would be better for the 2 year old as well as us. It's been a fun couple of days.

We went to the breeder, as we had just asked around about recent husky litters in our area. When we saw him, we just couldn't resist. Don't bother looking when you're on the fence about a new puppy, you end up holding a new puppy in your hand on the way home saying, "how the **** did this happen?"

I came here to refresh my memory in regard to crate training, which was rough at first but is improving. Wow this little guy is a howler, he sounds just as much the wolf as he looks.

Kodiak, was the last of his litter (was being held as a stud), and was kept with older/bigger pups from another litter. He is VERY shy with people and runs away. This bothers me, as both my previous huskies were obtained at 8 weeks and flew to the first human they saw. His confidence is improving, but, I have never seen this before. He is also suddenly confronted with 2 other full grown huskies, who after some posturing, are getting along just fine. Has anyone dealt with a shy pup? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

just continue to work with him and shower him with the love and attention he needs
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 01:56 PM

There are several great posts in the dog section regarding crate training.

COngrats on the new addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I nail him peeing in the house, scold him and get him outside. Then outside he proceeds to deficate, do I praise him so soon after creating lake Kodiac on the kitchen floor? He's done this a few times now... and I have praised him each time. Not sure I should be... am I confusing him?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM

thats what i did with mine. well not the defecating part but as soon as i caught my huskies peeing or pooping on the floor it was a firm no and i took them right outside. they were really easy to train

and when i brought simba into the family i had already a male neutered 5 yr old and a female spayed 8 yr old... simba was brought in about 4 months as well i believe. he had alot of issues with dakota specifically in the pen. his confidence should boost. its the dogs trying to work out whos the alpha male. just make sure to watch them..

everything should be great! he will grow into his own husky

Tags
crate training