New Blue IG puppy... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

New Blue IG puppy...

Picked him up this week, 5 month old Blue Italian Greyhound puppy. Beutifull looking dog and so obedient.
Dog loves to just lay on the rug or sofa.

Problem is, so far he is playing rough with my Maltese puppy (5 months) He shows his teeth and make a sort of growling noise, but not really growing. and his tail is wagging whole time.
he pins my dog down and locks his jaws around him, then lets go.
Maltese comes right back for more.
Not one yelp from the Maltese but I don't want him to get hurt playing.
I keep seperating them when it gets too rough but this is getting annoying.
How long will this process of the two just hanging out together take, if at all possible?

Anyone with any IG info?
thx
pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hound1.jpg (30.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg hound2.jpg (26.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg hound3.jpg (27.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg hound4.jpg (28.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg hound5.jpg (29.5 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 12:02 AM

What puppies don't love to rough-house? I know mine did. But they also mellowed out eventually and spent a lot of time together exploring, chasing cats (they only wanted to kiss them! ) and napping together.

Fun pics. Thanks for sharing
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 12:19 AM

Don't know much about IGs. However, my puppy is tiny, probably at least as small as a maltese. Our Springer does similar things to her. As long as the tail is wagging I think its ok.

Also, I see in one picture the IG is laying on her back w/ the maltese. As I've been told that indicates submission. In other words, she isn't fighting, she's playing.
I let the dogs play when they do that. I watch them, but I also figure if Gracie (the springer) scares Charlie (the pup) she'll stay away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 AM

Your pup is adorable. I don't have any experience with an IG but I have a 125 lb German Shepherd & a 5 lb Chihuahua that are best friends and love to play *rough*. The Chi will hang from the shep's lips, ears, skin, whatever he can get a hold on! And the Shep will hold him down with one paw while the chi struggles to get free. Neither of 'em ever get hurt.... it's just typical puppy rough housing.

Now my yorkie/maltese will kick the sheps butt and then he'll leave her alone. lol

I wouldn't be too concerned...puppys are crazy and love to *wrestle*.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.
I guessI am just worried about the whole alpha issue. Being the IG was brought in the house 2 months after the Maltese.
You should see the Maltese chase after the IG in the yard. He puts like 20 dog lenths on him in a split second
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

EDIT: ooops, I meant 7 month IG
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:20 PM

Your IG is adorable! I love your dogs
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:03 PM

Your dogs are both adorable. It definitely sounds and looks like just puppy play. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Actually because both dogs are still so young they may have a change in command as they both mature. It's just something they'll figure out on their own. No need to step in unless you hear a yelp or a serious growl. They look very happy in the pics!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwwwww your IG is just adorable!!! And your maltese is so cute! Awesome pictures! Everyone gave great advice. Have you thought of a name yet for him?

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

i definetely wouldn't be worried. and if it is too rough for either of them, one will yelp and the other should stop immediately (it's kind of instinctual for them to do that).

such cute pics!!! looks like your IG is getting attacked by a big cotton ball! hahahahaha!

what are their names?

Last edited by Formula86; 06-23-2004 at 11:51 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Kept name previous owner named him, Marleigh.

Maltese is named DJ.
more pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg djandmarleigh2.jpg (40.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg sleeping.jpg (23.4 KB, 8 views)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 03:26 PM

that sleepy pic is sooooooo cutes! i love it! awe. your pups will be fine they will be the bestest of friends just wait!
love,
shannon
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Cute pup! Congratulations!

Rhonda

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Sad news, the situation between the 2 puppys got worse.

Greyhound keeps going for my Maltese;s neck, even after many submissive signs.
I hired someone to evaluate them today and she agrees these two should not live together
It's really a shame because the greyhound is so sweet.
He is now living with a friend for a week, if it works out he will have an even better home.
7 acres of land to run. But he has to get along with the big poodle there, which he has so far.
This has been the roughest week with these 2 dogs playing prison warden!
The pics I posted were from the 1st night where Marleigh was playing ok, but it soon escalated to showing teeth and growling.
The whole time my Maltese is just playing nice

I think the prvious owners did not properly socialize this dog and left him in a crate all day!!. He had ONE toy. can you believe it, ONE toy.

Question...
I really want 2 dogs so next dog will def be another Maltese puppy.
How old should I wait for DJ to be before diving into this again?
I was told a year.
thx

Tags
german shepherd