A New Dog? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Lightbulb A New Dog?

Ajax's mom and pop came back from WA. this morning. His mom told me she can't imagine life without a dog and wants to get another one in the somewhat near future. (There's no rush.) She's asked me to find out what breeds would be best for them.

She really loves Labs, but doesn't want to be FORCED to walk the dog everyday. If we can, he will be walked. In fact, I guarantee as long as I'm here I'll be walking him/her, but after I'm gone? They worry about having to walk the dog everyday for the next 15 years.

She is open to small dogs, but doesn't want it to be too small, as this is a busy house and a small dog might be stepped on.

She doesn't like the dogs with real short noses, or bulging eyes either, since they tend to have eye and nasal problems.

Mixed breeds are also welcome, although they're a little harder to predict. She'd be happy to adopt from a shelter or rescue, as well.

Long hair is preferred as she likes long haired dogs, but shorter hair is fine as well (AJ had short hair. )

What I'm thinking is that a Dachshund would be a good idea, and she likes Dachshunds. Also, maybe a Corgi.

I can't think of any medium to big sized dogs that don't require alot of exercise, though, so I think she's just going to have to get a smaller one that can appreciate this house and this yard. It will get walked, she just doesn't want it to be a requirement.

Suggestions are appreciated!

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Tilt; 08-04-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

What about a Sheltie?

I had one long ago and it was wonderful. It's a medium sized dog with long hair that can handle plenty of activity. It's not a "lil dog" in that you worry about it being frail or stepped on ... it's mouth is plenty big enough to hold a ball and shelties are plenty active enough to chase after the ball They have beutiful eyes and long snouts...

From what you've described it almost seems perfect.... Long hair, not too big so it can be handled easily on a leash or content with running around the yard, it's big enough not to be stepped on but small enough to be manged...it def does NOT have a squished nose or blugy eyes

To top it off..they are simply BEAUTIFUL DOGS!!!!! Very very pretty....

It will need to be groomed though.... as one would expect from a long haired fur ball

They also do need exercise but that can be accomplished by the ball/frisbee throwing in the back yard since they like active exercise more than leisurely walks anyway

NO OFFENSE to small dog owners but for me..I much prefer large dogs... When I had my sheltie I simply could not have a large dog and I struggled to find a "little big dog" lol. the sheltie worked out perfectly though

Plenty of pics at:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ie&btnG=Search

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

She doesn't think a Sheltie will work, since it requires plenty of exercise.

I mean, he will get it, but she doesn't want it to be a requirement since the dog's going to live a long time, and one of us "kids" won't always be here to walk him through the woods and whatnot. (We'll move out at some point. lol)

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

*does a dance* I have a sheltie!

I think a sheltie would be a good option! Seamus DOES NOT require a lot of exercise! He's actually very laid back.

Seamus is happy with a quick potty walk or a 2km (approx. 1 mile) walk, but he doesn't NEED that long walk every day. And he's content to play inside with a tug toy or a squeakie toy and doesn't get too rowdy.

It's just a matter of finding a good sheltie breeder who doesn't breed highly-strung dogs. But you may want to try and get her to reconsider a sheltie. Of course, I think they're wonderful ( ), but we all know why.

At first I was thinking "PUG," but then you mentioned she didn't like the flat face or bug eyes. Another option is a papillon. They are small, but not as fragile as some would think!

Another option is the Finnish Lapphund (suomenlapinkoira), but as puppies they are VERY rowdy and I have a feeling there MIGHT not be too many breeders of them in America.

A Keeshond could be another option as well. They're not that tiny with a medium energry level, and I think a yard combined with a small walk once a day would be enough for them. An American Cocker Spaniel is another possible option, as well, just be sure to find one that comes from lines of dogs that are not high-strung/high-energy.

I'll look around and see what else I can come up with as a possibility.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 06:08 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

not too many idea yet from over here. but i just wanted to say that an older dog is probably going to be calmer and need less exercise. so some breeds that might be too hyper as puppies or young dogs, might be ok at an older age. just a thought.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is there a fenced yard or anything for the dog? Hmm... I was thinking maybe a Scottie or Fox Terrier if there is some kind of yard for it. They're around 15-20 pounds.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Miss New Booty

Hmmm well I could try to give some advice on the dachshund and papillon subjects? They are both wonderful breeds, and they are both small, too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
She is open to small dogs, but doesn't want it to be too small, as this is a busy house and a small dog might be stepped on.
I noticed you said this, Roz, I just wanted to point out, dachshunds follow you everywhere! They are so loyal, they just want to be everywhere you are. So, they are at your feet alot.

They are both awesome breeds. Both doxies and papillons are very friendly and have alot of energy. The dachshunds are also very protective, lol, I think they are some of the best breeds of watchdogs there are!! Dachshunds and papillons are both very smart dogs. Papillons are long haired and there are longhaired dachshunds, also. They are very beautiful! My 2 dachshunds are minis. The standards are about 13-20 lbs. Papillons are tiny, Jasmine is only 6 lbs.

We have a fenced in back yard right now, and they actually aren't outside too much. If we aren't out there, they won't stay out and play, they want to be inside anyway. Penny (my piebald dachshund) doesn't even like walking on a leash outside!

Here is a picture of my papillon, Jasmine, if you haven't seen her picture before. They have a beautiful coat and the hair on their ears grow really long which we are still waiting for!

Hope I could give a little insight.

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

Thanks guys! I'll let her know about your suggestions and info. Luckily, there is plenty of time to learn and make a decision. They won't be getting a dog before Jan of '05.

-

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Adolescent Pup

I adore shih tzus ... they're so cute and cuddly, a lot friendlier than the Lhasa Apso...

that might be a good option ....

also, they tell me that rescued greyhounds are wonderful too... I've thought about getting one myself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as Roz

A Shih Tzu might be good, except she doesn't like dogs that look like they ran into a wall.

My aunt and uncle bred Shih Tzus. I really liked their dog Bugs.

-

Tags
beautiful dogs, cocker spaniel, dog owners, lhasa apso, mixed breed, mixed breeds, older dog, shih tzu