New Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

New Dog

No, its not mine....

My moms dog died six months ago (yellow lab), he was having lots of heath problems and we had to put him to sleep, and that left my dog (black lab mix) alone. My mom has been thinking about getting another dog for a long time (before we put our other down as we knew it was going to happen soon).

Well today we went to pick up a dog that a family had bred, its a purebred yellow lab (we can't adopt from a shelter because none around us want a dong that will be indoor out door but more outdoor)
its 10 1/2 weeks old and a PORKCHOP its so big! Around 35 lbs.

I will post pics soon

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

bad news,

My dog is dog aggressive, he got along great with our old dog hunter but we had hunter before we got cooper as a puppy. my mom took home Ozzy (what we named new pup) and he is a barker, he barks like a full grown dog he's going to have a deep voice! she let cooper smell him through the pet taxi and then carried ozzy to the house and cooper grabbed his leg. I am not surprized i told her that she needs to have 2 people walk the dogs one cooper and one ozzy where they are apart and hold cooper until he relaxes and what have you and SLOWLY introduce them

I'm sure my mom was nervous and cooper thought that it was the puppy that made her scared.

she may not keep him she may take him back as she isn't sure she can trust cooper to not hurt the puppy. Cooper is a farm dog and has killed cats, raccoons, and a woodchuck but he does get along with the neighbor dog when he visits from the neighbor farm.

I think cooper could get along with him but it will take work and i'm not sure she is up for it. If cooper did anything to this puppy we couldn't forgive our selves i know. she is worried if the new puppy picks up one of coopers toys or eats out of his dish that he will flip out.

Cooper also gets along with cats unless they fight. I don't know what to tell her other than do research about how to introduce them as it wont be as easy as sniff sniff best friends.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I would just give them a chance and introduce them slowly.

Right now I'm having a problem with our dog and the cat. The dog doesn't care about the cat, but the cat attacks him every chance he gets.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

when we introduced all of our dogs we did it on nuetral ground, that way it was no ones territoy so they were on even ground, its always worked best for us that way...but m dog Lady still took forever to accept the goldens, almost 6 months before she sort of gave up realizing they were here to stay...

I hope your mom is able to find a solution...its always hard to stay calm and not let our emotions register with our doggies, I wish her much good luck

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I went home today, and took the dogs on a walk mom had the pup and i had my dog cooper, cooper was fine, even excited for most of the walk but mom got frustrated with the puppy trying to jump up on cooper (they were far enough a part that he couldnt) and told him to stop barking and cooper wanted to protect her and groweled

Mom can't walk them together as they will have to be apart for a little while to get used to each other and get over some of that excitement

They did so well today, that i am sure it could work out, however mom can't do it all herself, i don't live at home and dad doesn't seam willing to help much. He's being a bit of a jerk lately.

I taught the puppy to sit and lay down and come to his name and whistle today so i am proud of that and mom and dad both were too.

I told mom it is up to dad now,

She has to say, either you call and say we can't keep this pup or you help me every day its all in or none

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Leo
Driving Diva

Does she want another dog for herself or was she getting a new dog as a companion for Cooper?

If she is doing it for the dog, I would likely have not gotten a new dog in the first place since Cooper seems like he doesn't really want a companion (some dogs are better alone)... IMHO she should NOT keep the new puppy, and based on what you have written here it doesn't seem she will get the help/support she needs to properly train both dogs to get along.

I have raised 2 children and have raised several puppies, the commitment level IMO is pretty similar when it comes to raising well rounded kids/dogs, Does she really want another baby? Does she have that amount of TIME to commit? These are questions I would ask her, because if she doesn't want to spend the next 3 years being a mom to a baby/toddler (aka PUPPY) then she needs to do the right thing and either give back the puppy OR re-home it. Puppies are A LOT of work when you are just dealing with the puppy, but add in your other dogs issues and well I just don't think it is going to work out very well.

I'm sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear, honestly my intentions are good (wanting the best for both the puppy and Cooper). I am not going to lie and say I think everything will or could work out either. It isn't like we are talking about something that has a short life expectancy. Labradors have a life expectancy of around 14 years, that is A LONG time. I know 'I" could not handle that type of chaos in my home, nor would I put a dog aggressive dog through that trauma or risk the puppy becoming dog aggressive from a bad experience with Cooper. If Cooper has training issues, then the new puppy will likely inherit them as well, because puppies learn from the older dog in a home, and bad habits are easily passed down. I am being 100% serious when I talk about the new puppy becoming dog aggressive, and honestly that is one of my biggest concerns.

I wish your mom luck with whatever she decides!

~Ignorance can be cured with education~

Mom to:
A little girl (6) and a little boy (4), and 2 dogs
Leo and
Gunner

Proud Coastie Sister!!
My brother is in Virginia at FT school !!

RIP Ed
October 2000-November 2007
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Doesn't sound like your dog is truly dog aggressive. They should have been introduced slowly and the old dog allowed to get used to the new dog. Neutral ground can be the best for many dogs. Its probably going to take time, but it is very likely they will get along.

Check Them Out

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yea i wouldn't call him truely dog aggressive either, but more protective of us. Mom wants a new puppy as a companion for him, and her, she loves dogs especially labs she has the time to commit to them and i think dad is willing to put more effort in to it.

My dads parents raised him not to love anything. He is a softy but sometimes his parents upbringing pops out in him

He is a farmer so he is home through the day and he is watching the puppy and taking him out for potty breaks all day and having him help him load the wood stove in the basement and things. My mom seemed in a much better mood today.

I think they will work out if my mom goes at it with the right attitude, if she's negitive cooper will be too. They are getting introduced slowly ozzy is staying in a pet taxi in the porch in the day (its huge, ive been in it.)

its just frustrating sometimes.

[/CENTER]

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

this is the email my mom sent me today

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING A SPECIAL TRIP HOME FOR ME YESTERDAY! I’m sorry I was so upset while you were there. I’m a bit better today—a lot better today. I know it will all take time and there is no hurry. Cooper and Ozzy will get along fine and what’s the worst thing? Ozzy has to be kenneled through the day. That would be ok. Like you said, there are dogs all over the world that are kenneled during the day and are fine. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about the two dogs running around when I’m not there.

Dad took Ozzy out of the pet taxi this morning and watched him while he worked on the computer. I left for work. I called him from here and he said he was planning to go home over the noon hour to let him run around a bit. I may stop in Waverly and get some puppy pads on my way home. He didn’t call Chad Wilson last night—he emailed him. I didn’t read the email so I have no idea what he wrote. However, I am already attached to the little guy and can’t give up that easily. He’s a keeper. It will be more work for awhile—maybe a long while, but that’s ok. The weather will get nicer and that will make everything better.

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

and my reply

I think they will be fine, i also think that you could put coopers
muzzle on and not put a leash on him when you take ozzy out to go potty,
then cooper can smell him but not actually hurt him and can get away or
closer if he wants.

soon cooper shouldn't need the muzzle.

I know you said that you don't want to have to change coopers life for a
puppy but you will have to for a little bit at least, cooper can handle
a muzzle being on him for a week or 2 or 3 when the puppy is out. Its
not that bad. Cooper doesn't think he looks mean with it on he just
knows mom put this on me and its fine.

you will also need to get rid of that frozen cat that is just gross. and
i would put up all of coopers toys you can find when having ozzy out for
now, nothing there to be protective over.

It will take time and i can come home more too but i think it is very
possible. Ozzy is a sweety he doesn't know not to be spunky, hunter was
sick for soo much of coopers spunky times

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Does she want another dog for herself or was she getting a new dog as a companion for Cooper?

If she is doing it for the dog, I would likely have not gotten a new dog in the first place since Cooper seems like he doesn't really want a companion (some dogs are better alone)... IMHO she should NOT keep the new puppy, and based on what you have written here it doesn't seem she will get the help/support she needs to properly train both dogs to get along.

I have raised 2 children and have raised several puppies, the commitment level IMO is pretty similar when it comes to raising well rounded kids/dogs, Does she really want another baby? Does she have that amount of TIME to commit? These are questions I would ask her, because if she doesn't want to spend the next 3 years being a mom to a baby/toddler (aka PUPPY) then she needs to do the right thing and either give back the puppy OR re-home it. Puppies are A LOT of work when you are just dealing with the puppy, but add in your other dogs issues and well I just don't think it is going to work out very well.

I'm sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear, honestly my intentions are good (wanting the best for both the puppy and Cooper). I am not going to lie and say I think everything will or could work out either. It isn't like we are talking about something that has a short life expectancy. Labradors have a life expectancy of around 14 years, that is A LONG time. I know 'I" could not handle that type of chaos in my home, nor would I put a dog aggressive dog through that trauma or risk the puppy becoming dog aggressive from a bad experience with Cooper. If Cooper has training issues, then the new puppy will likely inherit them as well, because puppies learn from the older dog in a home, and bad habits are easily passed down. I am being 100% serious when I talk about the new puppy becoming dog aggressive, and honestly that is one of my biggest concerns.

I wish your mom luck with whatever she decides!
The dog is for both of them, Cooper really does like a companion, he missed a lot with hunter being sick his whole life (he always had one thing after another!) and was protective of him. Hunter was like his brother and cooper had to grow up too soon.

we live on a farm so they don't see other dogs that much but we always socialize them and take them to town and on walks on the trails and to petsmart.

she has the time and the commitment for a new dog, she's just stressed I really hope it works for her

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am glad things are going better...ok I just have to ask, what frozen cat thing? lol sorry but that just sorta made me go huh? lol...

When we got our puppies it was so hard, I had Puppers and Lady and mama at the time (before we lost her) my daughter my cousin...I had a house full an having 2 little puppies with all of it could become overwhelming, I started a strict routine from day 1, potty times, food times, walking time...everything...I tried so hard to keep them on the schedule, that worked so good for us. I am glad your mom has your dad, cause me and Ken often tag teamed it lol, one of us would start to get frazzled and hand them off to the other while we went in and calmed down lol...but in all honesty I loved every crazy, draining wierd moment of it lol...

Sounds like your mom is already bonded with the puppy I think they can make this work...I bet you have to make a few more trips out there to help out lol thats what we kids are for I just can't wait to see puppy pictures lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

oh you probably don't want to know....

Cooper found a dead cat somewhere along the road and brought it up to the house, mom said that she got rid of it, then he found it, and i don't think she got rid of it again its gross i know...

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Things are going a lot better, mom said that she would use the muzzle for cooper so she is less worried, and dad took Ozzy to the shop all day with him yesterday and when he got home he wasn't yellow anymore so he got his first bath then slept very well.

Tonight mom was going to walk them both then crate ozzy when she plays with cooper in the yard so ozzy can sleep and cooper can get more exersise and fun

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:25 AM
I am allergic to maths

good luck to your mum, cooper and ozzy!