New house... bad dog! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New house... bad dog!

So moved into our new house. We have no fence yet, so the dog has to be staked when we put her outside. But she's in the house most of the time. But she keeps urinating and deficating in my house! Now my brand new house (just built) smells like urine, and I can't seem to get her to stop. We put her in the basement (generally) when we leave now, but the other night, she went into my closet and urinated on my dirty clothes.

So now I have two issues. Getting her to stop ruining my house and how to get the smell out of the carpet in my closet.

Any ideas/suggestions? (also they are building the house behind us so she freaks a bit when the workers are around) I'm not mad at her being afraid, I'm just very frustrated. To the point I might ask my in-laws if they'll take the dog back in their house for a bit.

Thanks,
Daniel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I think the best thing to do is to take your dog right back to the basics with house training...so not trusting her and pretending like she's a puppy. Also make sure when she does go outside you praise her. Don't yell at her for going inside...all that means to a dog is that they can't go where you can see it so they start to try and hide it and will go in spots that you might not even notice until you smell it!
Also crate training would probably be really good for her, especially if she's afraid right now too, it would be her little safe haven. there are lots of threads on crate training. You can crate train any dog...my dogs are both crate trained...one of them I rescued at 3 years old and so her first introcduction was as an adult and my other dog wasn't crate trained until she was 14 years old (she lived with my p's before that).
If there is still smell she's going to go in that spot cause she can smell herself. You can try some of the products on the market but probably hiring a steamer and steaming the carpet will be your best bet. If you do use a product don't use anything with bleach in it cause the ammonia will smell like pee to her.
Good luck! It can be stopped...my dog started this a few months ago and we got her to stop again...took about three weeks. She's most likely acting out to the changes and I don't think it would be in the dogs best interest, at this point, to take her back to your MIL's cause chances are she'll just go right ahead and do it when you try and get her back again, but it could be even worse by then. The fact that she went into your closet and peed on your clothes tells me she's just trying to gain ownership and find her place in her new environment...especially if she has been living with your MIL while this house has been built. Imagine how confusing it is for a dog when something like that happens? You wouldn't ask a two year child to not act out if in the same situation, and it's just as confusing for a dog!
Good luck! Have patience!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 04:13 PM

What breed and how old? When was her last vet visit? Always rule out physical problems first if this is unusual behavior.

I agree with RSBUNNY. If it isn't anything physical, I'm guessing she's scared and confused. Depending on breed and age, lots of exercise is a must. A tired dog has less time to be scared and/or confused--and they're MUCH easier to work with/train. Putting her on a schedule is also needed until she gets adjusted--and that will probably include a crate and going potty at set times.

Since this is a new place, make sure you get the smell out. She will continue to go where she has marked. Also, any other animal in your house will probably mark there. If you can, close off the places she marked so she can't re-mark.

When she's out to potty, take her to the same place every time where her smell is. When she does go, praise her greatly and give her a treat that you wouldn't give her any other time--something she really, really likes. You may have to put her on a leash when she goes potty to monitor her. If you know she hasn't gone for awhile and it's time, stay out with her until she goes. This may take a long time, hence the long walks/exercise. I think she will eventually come around, just give her time to adjust. No one told her she was moving...

Oh, does she have things in the house that smell like her old house? Maybe a towel or old shirt of yours, etc. If she has been moved a couple of times in the last few months she may be a little "shell shocked". Again, it will just take time. She'll come around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ditto with the above. Back to basics with housebreaking. Treat her like a brand new puppy in your house with no unsupervised freedom. Leaving her in the basement is probably frightening for her. For short periods away, a crate with some toys upstairs may be more suitable. Combine with with more compassion and an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle to get all the odors out and I'm sure you'll resolve this in no time.

How long did you have her before you moved into your new house, how old is she and what breed? Is she on a strict schedule? Remember dogs are just like kids LOL

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yeah she's a mix, Chow / Spitz. Very timmid dog, very scared at times. So I believe it's just nerves. And with my pets I always check for physical just to make sure. I worked in a clinic for 4.5 years and studied pre-vet in college (graduated and was about to go to vet school, but life throws curve balls).

Thanks everyone!

I'm enjoying this board more everyday!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

good luck with everything...let us know how it all goes and if you need any mor ehelp don't hesitate to ask!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Good Luck! I thought of one more thing...does she know where the door is to ask out? When we adopted Boo, he just followed Ginger out the door. But when my daughter adopted Chance, lab mix, he didn't know where the door was to ask out!!! Silly us!!!

Again, good luck!!!!!

Tags
crate trained, crate training, lab mix, vet visit