new problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question new problem

I'm running into a new problem and am curious how to handle it. Dogs constantly try to attack Charlie, and now he's gotten so sick of it that I caught him growling this morning at a puppy who'd done nothing wrong to him. Yes, I was upset, but this is a new behavior. I think he's reacting to all the stress of the past few days. As I said, this is new, and yes, I do have a prong collar, but any other suggestions? I've read the article on aggression, and I realize he thinks the other dogs are out to get him. How have others dealt with this, especially knowing you didn't bring the dog home like that? This is driving me nuts.

the only harm in not trying is failure before you begin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I don't have any advice for you, but I hope Charlie gets better soon!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks. I'll keep it updated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 03:47 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

This is a difficult problem since you don't have control over those aggressive dogs running around your neighbourhood. First and foremost you should call the local animal shelter and report those dogs. If there is a leash law in the area, that's good, too. Not only are these dogs acting dangerously towards you and your dog, they should be on a leash.

I would say to try and avoid those dogs on your walk, but I know this is easier said than done. Perhaps to try and get Charlie in better spirit, you could visit someone with a new puppy or a dog who you know is not aggressive.

But firstly, report those dogs to your animal shelter. They shouldn't be running around terrorising the neighbourhood.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks. I've started doing that, and today, I'm happy to report that a bulldog (who was not on the leash), barked at Charlie, and he totally ignored him, as well as another dog within that household. That earned him a hotdog.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

How cute!
Well, my neighbor's dog's "girlfriend" used to be really scared of all other dogs until Bubba came along. When she met him, they became instant friends, and she's been much more confident ever since. If you could find him a friend like Philaja said, then maybe he will become more comfortable as well. Good luck!

Tags
animal shelter, local animal shelter