New puppy! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

New puppy!

Hey guys.. I just got my first puppy, Kylie. She's a Boston terrier, 4 months old. I have been wanting this pup for about 8 years now and finally got the means to get one . I know alot about the breed and dogs in general from reading, but I have a few questions for everyone as a new pet owner.
1. What cleaner would you recommend for cleaning up poo and pee stains?
2. Is four months too young to start clicker training? I bought a clicker but my baby seems to have the attention span of a gnat so far ... although it may have something to do with the fact that my two cats were bugging us when I was trying to teach Kylie to sit, lol
3. How often should I take her out at this age to potty? I know eight week old pups need every hour or two, but is that often necessary at four months?
4. How long does it take babies to adjust to walking on a leash? What's the easiest way to get them to do this?
5. My baby doesn't come to anything. Whistling, her name, kissy noises, clapping, snapping, anything. She's not deaf. But she doesn't come when you make noise in another room or when you motion for her to come, which is weird in my experience of being around puppies, they're usually pretty inquisitive right? Is this weird and how can I correct it?
Okay that was alot of questions lol. Anything you can give me is appreciated

Here's a picture!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

awww so cute!

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Congrats on your new puppy.

1. What cleaner would you recommend for cleaning up poo and pee stains? My favorite cleaner is vinegar and water solution.
2. Is four months too young to start clicker training? I bought a clicker but my baby seems to have the attention span of a gnat so far ... although it may have something to do with the fact that my two cats were bugging us when I was trying to teach Kylie to sit, lol It's never to early to introduce her to the clicker. She may not catch on right away, but it doesn't hurt to try.
3. How often should I take her out at this age to potty? I know eight week old pups need every hour or two, but is that often necessary at four months? Take her out every few hours. Its better to go out to much than not enough. Take her out after she eats, when she wakes up from a nap, when she's done playing, etc...
4. How long does it take babies to adjust to walking on a leash? What's the easiest way to get them to do this? Every dog adjusts to leashes differently. My suggestion is hook the leash to her collar and let her drag it around inside a bit. BUT SUPERVISED!!
5. My baby doesn't come to anything. Whistling, her name, kissy noises, clapping, snapping, anything. She's not deaf. But she doesn't come when you make noise in another room or when you motion for her to come, which is weird in my experience of being around puppies, they're usually pretty inquisitive right? Is this weird and how can I correct it? It does seem odd, but she is a pup. When she does pay attention to you praise her praise her praise her. Positive reinforcement is the key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

She's so cute! Good luck with everything

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She is adorable.. Look forward to seeing more pics soon!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aw, your new puppy is so cute! Congrats!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 06:25 PM

try nature's miracle for the stains and odors, works wonders.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks everyone!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

She's a cutie! I raised Boston Terriers for about 8 years or so. They're wonderful little dogs.

Chrisanne offered great advice on all of your questions. I am a bit concerned about her not responding to kissing and clapping noises. Puppies should be inquisitive to those types of noises. When she's asleep and you make a loud noise near her, does she wake up?

My Bull Terrier was deaf and I figured it out on the ride home from the airport because she wasn't responding to kissing, clicking or clapping noises. The clincher was when we got home and she was sleeping on my lap my mom banged a wooden spoon against an empty coffee can and the pup kept right on sleeping.

Rhonda

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlette
She's a cutie! I raised Boston Terriers for about 8 years or so. They're wonderful little dogs.
Chrisanne offered great advice on all of your questions. I am a bit concerned about her not responding to kissing and clapping noises. Puppies should be inquisitive to those types of noises. When she's asleep and you make a loud noise near her, does she wake up?
My Bull Terrier was deaf and I figured it out on the ride home from the airport because she wasn't responding to kissing, clicking or clapping noises. The clincher was when we got home and she was sleeping on my lap my mom banged a wooden spoon against an empty coffee can and the pup kept right on sleeping.
Thanks for the concern She definitely isn't deaf, when we take her for rides in the car, she wigs out when a motorcycle or loud car goes by, and when we clap our hands she listens. I think she's just headstrong.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 01:32 PM

Yep, Riley (my deaf pup) showed concerned when a motorcycle went by because it's loud and she could feel the vibration. Louder noises produce more vibration.

The next time she takes a nap, blow a whistle or stand across the room and yell in a high pitch, and see what happens. They can feel vibration from hand clapping if you're standing close to them. When Riley was about 5 months old she got so good at sensing vibration and differences in air pressure that she could tell when someone came in the house. A door opening changes the air pressure in the house and she could sense it...kind of like when you roll the windows up in a car and your ears feel plugged.

Good luck.....and if you do discover she is deaf (which I hope you're right and she's not) I can give you some advice on training.

Rhonda

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She can definitely hear She comes to kissy noises now, and knows how to sit. It just took awhile for her stubborn butt to understand. I think. But thanks!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 01:42 PM

That's great! Have fun with her! Boston Terriers are such great dogs. I look forward to seeing more pics.

Rhonda

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww, she's really cute! I always wanted a Boston Terrier.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

She is super cute! my mom wants one lol. Im glad shes listening to you now.

Tags
boston terrier, bull terrier, clicker training, pet owner