New Puppy - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM

bite inhibition, teach them not to bite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

your puppy is really cute! i dont htink ive ever had the pleasure of meeting a pom so i cant help you there, sorry..
it sounds like your doing really good on house training.. i think puppy classes are a really good idea, cuz it teaches your puppy how to behave around other dogs (which you already have another dog so not a huge issue, but it would be good to let him around more) and helps them to learn how to listen with alot of distractions around... as for what to focus on now.. i would work on teaching Come (most important in my opinion) sit, stay, down, off and not to bite.. and of course how to play and have lots of fun
not sure on how to get your other dog to accept him, were gonna have to deal with that one ourselves after we move.. i guess just alot of supervised playtime..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I wanna thank everyone for their nice comments and support. I'm just taking this one day at a time.

We went for our first walk today and he did awesome. I walked Smeagol and my daughter walked Wicket. It was soooo cute cause Wicket was mimicing everything Smeagol did! Which is what I hoped he do since Smeagol is a very good dog. I'm hoping Smeagols training rubs off on the puppy.

We walked to where I worked and everyone loved both of them! Everyone agrees they make such a cute pair. I can't wait till we get Wicket trained enough to get a family pic with them. I think it will be so cute with all of us with the dogs.

Well, cause of the walk Wicket got his first bath today and he wasn't happy at all. THEN we had this ball of energy x100 running through the house. He even did a superman dive off the couch onto Smeagols head. Made my heart stop. We're lucky Smeagol soften his landing. So got on the floor with Wicket to burn his bath time energy off.

Wicket has had a very busy evening so he is taking a nap right now and Smeagol is enjoying the quiet!

Is $40 to microchip a dog to expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarita2004
bite inhibition, teach them not to bite
I assumed that is what it meant but wanted to be sure. Any tips on to handle this? Don't puppies go through a teething stage and chew a lot?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Im not sure, thats about what our vet said it would cost.. but he also said they dont usually do that around here so he'd have to order it...
Allie cant really wonder off on her own, but if we got another dog i would want to micro chip them.. but you need to make sure your chip is registered! on animal planet they say all the time how alot of dogs come in with chips, but there not registered.. so they dont really do much good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzi
I assumed that is what it meant but wanted to be sure. Any tips on to handle this? Don't puppies go through a teething stage and chew a lot?
yes they do, just like any baby, But its important that you only allow them to chew on there own toys.. not old socks, shoes, clothing, stuffed toys.. and especially not you.. its really important that you use the time there teething to teach them the right things to chew on.. he wont know the difference between your old shirt that you let them tare up or the new one you wore yesterday.. and him nibbling on your fingers or toes might be cute now, but wont be later on

My Furry Family
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff
yes they do, just like any baby, But its important that you only allow them to chew on there own toys.. not old socks, shoes, clothing, stuffed toys.. and especially not you.. its really important that you use the time there teething to teach them the right things to chew on.. he wont know the difference between your old shirt that you let them tare up or the new one you wore yesterday.. and him nibbling on your fingers or toes might be cute now, but wont be later on

That's one thing hubby told me and my daughter, only toys.

Ok he does nibble on our fingers how should this be corrected? Well, what my issue is, if he doesn't understand no yet how to we get the point across?
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 PM

He is so cute and its good to see all the research that you are doing. and congrats on Wicket...
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

not really sure which way is best.. with allie i jus take my hand away and say no, or no bite.. some people say you should make a yelp noise or a high pitched ouch, to make sure they know they hurt you.

My Furry Family
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:25 PM

he's super cute and great job on adopting the only thing i can suggest is LOTS of socalization bring him everywhere you can and if someone wants to pet him let them hold him and pet him so he gets used to all kinds of people. i would DEF suggest microchipping Troys done no side effect at all. we strongly suggest it at both the shelter i work at and the vets office.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would deffinently micro chip him but im not sure it would benifit if someone stole him.. however would be great if he gets lost and someone takes him to the vet/humane society...

for nipping just take your hand a way and say no bite, or be nice. hes young enough to get it just by doing that if you do it every time. If he bites too hard i would make the high pitched noise
and make him get down and go away. for a little bit

good luck hes super cute

[/CENTER]

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 02:16 PM

He's so cute and he sounds like a sweet little puppy. Poms are good little dogs, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I would though suggest puppy kindegarden it can help with basic training but other then that it sounds like your doing great

Tags
animal planet, crate training, dog training, humane society, older dog, shih tzu, vet visit