New Puppy House Training Question/Situation - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question New Puppy House Training Question/Situation

Hi,
I joined the forum a few weeks ago. I just got my brand new puppy. She is a Cavalier named Charlie. Anyway, she is only 2 months old and I was told by the breeder she was paper trained. Since I've only had her for one day or so I haven't been able to establish if that is the case or not.

In any event, she cannot go outside yet b/c she hasn't finished her boosters or had her rabies shot. She will complete this in about a month and a half or so. Anyway, let me get to my point. Since she cannot go outside I have to train her on paper. What is the most effective way to do that? So far she's only piddled off the paper once, but she doesn't elminate all that often from what I can tell. . .

So, any recommendations you can offer toward training her are great. After her shots I plan to train her to go outside, however as mentioned that's not an option now. So, any method suggested, should please take that fact into consideration.

Sorry for this long rambling message,
Somehow I always end up doing that even if I try hard not to.

--PurpZeY, Brian

P.S. I am familiar with "Wee-Wee Pads." I haven't purchased any b/c in previous experience w/ our older dog (now 7) they didn't seem to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Why do you have to wait until the booster shots to take her outside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well, that's just what the breeder told me to do. B/C she is still prone to infection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi Brian and to PT!

Hmmm.. like Scarlette said...Is there a specific reason you don't want to take her out before her booster shots? Or did the breeder or vet tell you not to?

Do you have a crate for Charlie? Deja, our dog moderator, wrote a wonderful article on crate training.
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16326
You might want to check out and read all of her articles in the dog section, they are great and very helpful!!!

You said you used the pads before, were they something like this?
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1087416836284

My boyfriend's sister has a yorkie and she trained him to go on those and they work pretty well for him.

Good luck with everything! Since you just got her yesterday, she is just adjusting to her new surroundings. That might be why she didn't go potty for you much yet.
Let us know how everything is going, and again, welcome!

~* Jackie *~

Last edited by kittygurl823; 06-16-2004 at 03:25 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Romping Ratties

I just got a puppy too, and even though she is not vaccinated yet as she is too young (starts Tuesday) I still take her outside to potty. You can take her to your yard no problem, just don't take her around where other dogs may have been, such as for a walk around the neighborhood, parks and dog parks.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Still a question about housetraining.

"Is there a specific reason you don't want to take her out before her booster shots? Or did the breeder or vet tell you not to?"

Obviously my other post had not come up yet. Yes, the breeder said not to. I just don't want her to get sick or anything. If there is a consensus of intelligent educated people who say otherwise, then perhaps I will.

**I just spoke w/ the breeder, she said the pup is only 2 months old and has not received heart worm, flea and other vacinations. Therefore she should not go outside AT ALL even just in the backyard. Now I am just confused.** Any opinons, thanks.

Last edited by purpzey; 06-16-2004 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Addt'l Info
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

In all honesty, I have never heard of not being able to take a new puppy outside until they have their booster shots. I agree with Romping Ratties, I would not take her to an area where there are lots of dogs or where alot of dogs have been (such as a dog park), but as far as taking her outside to go potty, I don't think that would be a problem.

Rhonda

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Romping Ratties

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpzey
**I just spoke w/ the breeder, she said the pup is only 2 months old and has not received heart worm, flea and other vacinations. Therefore she should not go outside AT ALL even just in the backyard. Now I am just confused.** Any opinons, thanks.
Well IMHO the breeder is a little extreme. There is nothing wrong with taking a puppy outside to urinate when teaching it how to potty train. Heart worm preventative cannot start for another few months anyway, and flea meds cannot be given until the pup is at least 8 weeks of age. Now that I read your first post you can start flea preventatives such as Frontline now that she is old enough. You can get this at your veterinarian. If the breeder is that worried about it, I hope she understands that Parvo can be carried on your shoes anyway, so even if the dog didn't go outside and you stepped in the virus somewhere you can bring it home unknowingly anyway.

I would call a few vets and see what they say. I am sure they will tell you it is perfectly fine to take her outside to potty.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

<nod> All that seems to make sense. I am going to call the Vet tommorow and see what he says.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Miss New Booty

Yeah, your post hadn't come up yet when I replied. The first 10 or so are moderated and don't come up on the thread right away.

Scarlette and RR, great advice. I agree with them, I don't see any reason why she can't go outside, but I see maybe not going out to an area with alot of dogs or a park, etc.

We have 3 dogs that we got as puppies and they all went outside and my vet never said anything otherwise. Infact, with Kahlua, the people we got him from had already started him going outside as a puppy with his littermates, to start getting them all potty trained.

Good luck with everything!

~* Jackie *~

Last edited by kittygurl823; 06-16-2004 at 09:40 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I see, well...

She is going into the vet on Friday to just double-check her health...Even though the breeders have a vet I just want to verify. So after he checks her health and her current vacinations I'll see what he says...

Also, she is only 10 weeks so her bladder control is limited. Her and I live in the upstairs part of the house so bringing her out every hour will be difficult and she doesn't seem to have much control...E.G. I see her just stop on a spot and piddle. However, she seems to know the difference b/w the paper and the floor b/c she never has bowel movements anywhere beside the paper. The problem also being that if I leave for anytime more than an hour I can't lock her in the crate. So I think this program may have to remain at least until she's a few weeks older and can hold it for longer. . .

Anyway, I will speak to the vet Friday...If she can go outside, I'm sure that 2 days more worth of paper training aren't going to affect her...Opionions still encouraged please.

On a side note, is there anyway specifically to help her learn her name? If so or not, how long can I expect before she begins to recognize it?

Thanks, Purp
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

a great game for name recognition is this:
very simple...
just wait till she isn't looking at you, say her name and wait for her to look you directly IN THE EYE. when she does, give her a treat or just praise her. this is what you would learn in puppy classes. it works really well. i don't think mine REALLY knew their names for a few weeks. just do this game and it will help.

oh yah and..............PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! haha!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
oh yah and..............PICTURES!!!!!!!!!! haha!
Please see my new thread. It should appear soon if it hasn't already. I am just getting past my initial ten so moderators have to approve them.

Purp
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

Ask your vet about Revolution, it's a topical med that kills adult fleas, prevents eggs from hatching, prevents heartworms, treats and controls ear mites and also treats and controls sarcoptic mange. It says on the box it can be given to puppies 6 weeks and older and comes in various weight ranges.

She'll learn her name pretty quick if you use it all the time. Anytime you say something to her say her name too.

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

**UPDATE**

I just spoke with the vet and he says its OK for her to go outside only in the yard. So, she is going to start her crate training today.

Thanks everybody!

Tags
crate training, dog park, ear mites, older dog, potty train, potty trained, potty training