New Puppy That Won't Sleep - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:08 AM
MissJayla

Tried losing the paper and she started to urinate where ever she squated! What now? Please advise, sooooooooonnnnnnn

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:
We made sure we got it all up and started taking him outside every 2 hours
I agree with removing the paper altogether, otherwise they will pee on any newspaper around. If you are training the puppy to relieve himself/herself outside, then I would get used to taking him/her out every hour, for a while, for short walks. This way he/she will get used to going to the door and will associate that going to the door is when it's time to go out and go to the bathroom. That's how I housetrained my dogs, and they did great with it. Now, they walk to the door and sit there when they have to go to the bathroom. Eventually, you can watch the puppy's schedule of going to the bathroom, because they will have accidents inside of the house in the beginning of training. If you wait 2-3 hours to take them outside, then you should shorten your time the next time. It all depends on how much water they drink during the day, too. Definitely take the puppy out at least 15-20 mins after a feeding, as he made need to pooh, from the previous feeding. You'll get the hang of it, and work on making your own schedule after time I hope this helps.

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 06-03-2004 at 08:23 AM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 PM

Hi again MissJayla,
Housetraining a puppy is going to take a lot of time and tons of patience...When she has accidents inside the house, I suggest saying a firm "No" and taking her outside and showing her that outside is where she should go potty. She will eventually get the message. But, taking her out often to go potty on your schedule will housetrain her a lot faster. Don't wait until she just goes, that is only defeating the purpose of your housetraining. Take her out on your own, every hour, whether she wants to go or not, because this puppy is very young needs to pee or pooh often. That's the only way she will learn.... I did it, and it worked really well. She'll catch on, you'll see and you'll be very proud you did this housetraining all on your own. Eventually, when you see she can hold it longer, you can increase the time in between going outside, but that won't be for a little while yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:18 PM

Also invest in the cleaner uppers for your carpets et al. It does help all involved to ensure EVERYTHING is out of your carpet. We use Nature's Miracle but any of the products specifically for picking up urine and feces should work well.

When puppy came home I went straight to the pet shop and picked up two gallons of the stuff lol

My pup is a rotty so he's mostly black and he HATES the sun! We're in the lower to mid 90s right now and he refuses to go out and bake in the heat. To get around it, sometimes I have to carry him out and then plop him down under our shade trees lol
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 PM

Quote:
he refuses to go out and bake in the heat. To get around it, sometimes I have to carry him out and then plop him down
Deb it's funny you say that, because when we first got our English Mastiff puppy "Angus Og", in February of this year, he was 9 weeks and 19lbs. He was born and raised on a farm and lived in a barn with his mother and 3 other brothers. They had the run of the place. He never knew what a collar was, and forget a leash. So, it was a real challenge training him the first day we got him home. First, with the collar and then with the leash. The collar was the easy part. We had to let him walk around the house with the leash attached to his collar, and we also left it near his food bowl (which told him it was a "good" thing). Then when it came time to go out the door. Well, he would plop his little butt down and wouldn't move anywhere. So we did the same thing, we carried him out the door. That started getting old the first couple of days. Then we started coaxing him with some of his dry food to get him out the door....well that worked, just to get him on the front porch. We had to work on steps, up and down...So, we carried him the first few days....Then he didn't want to walk on the leash. So, it was back to coaxing him with food....We kept it up, and walked one step at a time until he was used to walking on the leash. That, and walking him out with our other dog, Black and Tan Coonhound "Bowser", helped a lot. What one will do, the other will follow. Now, we can't get him inside he loves the outside so much He is 6 months now and 95lbs.
Quote:
Also invest in the cleaner uppers for your carpets et al. It does help all involved to ensure EVERYTHING is out of your carpet.
I definitely agree about the clean up, because you don't want the stains or the smell to stick around. I've used Nature's Miracle and I've also used Simple Solution. They both work well. But like you said, any stain and odor remover on the market should work well.

Last edited by PaBabyBlue; 06-03-2004 at 02:35 PM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 02:36 PM

LOL dogs will be dogs

My rotty Max wouldn't go out in the sun either even as an adult UNLESS he knew the pool was open then he was quick to go out lol

Samson will go out just fine in the mornings and the evenings..but mid day when the sun is shining down on him....forget it lol
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 01:49 PM

start right outside its tough but worth it. its hard teach then but every dog is different. my pup is a good boy, snook that is, he hasn't pooped in the house. but he has a lil accident once when i wasn't looking. you'll get thru it just imagaine what a great companian your pup will be when older. its worth it!
love,
shannon
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 02:31 PM

I totally agree
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2004, 06:08 AM

My silver poodle hayley.....every time that dog would eat, she would get 'hiccups'. You wouldnt hear them, just watching her stomach go up and down so quick was how we noticed. The vet said that lots of puppies get them because they scarf down their food too quick. But she did grow out of those quickly. Good luck with your new puppy, she sounds adorable!

Nancy K.

Tags
cocker spaniel, dry food, food bowl, pet shop, potty train, potty training