Noah's new diagnoses - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Noah's new diagnoses

So Noah started holding up his back right leg the other day. I took him to the vet yesterday and found out he has luxating patellas. $1500 per knee cap to get them fixed... I guess he'll have to go without. What average person can afford that?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 07:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awww...I am sorry to hear about Noah...do it cause him pain at all?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He can't bear weight on it at all. I'm taking him in for a second opinion tomorrow.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Is this not the saddest thing you've ever seen?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/IMG_4476.jpg

(We're holding a cold compress -AKA lima beans- to his leg)

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:37 PM

Aaaaaw poor Noah Keep us posted on how he is.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He's been the same for the past week. I called the doctor to let him know that he's not doing any better. He wants to do a $185 xray on him... Needless to say, I can't afford that either... That's with the insurance plan I have him on.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 12:47 PM

That's too bad lilchris. What kind of insurance do you have that doesn't cover x-rays? That's usually covered isn't it? I don't have any insurance on my pets, so when an emergancy comes up it's straight out of my pocket.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Poor little guy. I hope there's something you can do for him.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I have the Wellness Plan from Banfield. There are different levels of coverage. I have him on the lowest level for $15.95 a month. The highest level which is $34.95 a month would lower the x-rays to $100. I can't afford that though. I'm spending approx. $100 a month for my four dogs to have insurance. Basically what the basic package I have covers is shots, bloodwork, and urinalysis.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Miss New Booty

I'm so sorry to hear about Noah. This problem is very common with papillons and alot of small breed dogs. My vet said my papillon, Jasmine, was showing tiny signs of this at one of her check-ups when feeling around her knees, but that was normal. She said it's common and hers wasn't anything to worry about it, just could possibly cause some stiffness in her knees later on.

How old is he? Did your vet give Noah any medication? Poor guy! My vet told me if Jasmine started showing any signs of pain in her knee, to start her on a glucosamine supplement. I don't know if that could be helpful at this point or maybe your vet went over it, but just wanted to suggest it. Is there a way they could work out a payment plan with you, so atleast you could get the X-ray done?

This site I found seemed to be about Boston Terrier's, but it explains all about what it is, and theres a link for a glucosamine supplement. That particular brand looks expensive, but I'm sure you could even get this at a vitamin store, I've seen it before there, actually talked to the guy about how he gives it to his own dog.

http://www.jeanesholistics.com/artPatella.html

I hope he starts to make an improvement! Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

He is two and a half years old. The vet told me about the glucosamine, but since his food already contains it, he told me that it wouldn't do any good to give him tablets or powder. He is on an anti-inflamatory/pain med. The vet won't let me work out a payment plan.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 PM

aw I hope he feels better, message me on how he's doing if you get a chance or maybe i'll message you ok
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Exclamation

When Mirra broke her leg and needed a plate with screws I knew it was going to be costly. I obviously don't have thousands of dollars sitting around in my savings account and I was a little upset wondering how the heck I was going to pay for it. Ya know all that junk mail you get and it's usually credit card offers? Well, I got one that offered 0% interest rate for 6 months (Discover Card) and I immediately activated the card. My minimum payment for the $3000 limit was about $50 a month. Of course now I'm getting more credit card offers for 0% interest for 12 months, but oh well. That was the best junk mail I had ever received that day.

Anyway, that's what I did and you may want to consider something like that if your pet insurance doesn't cover the costs.

Rhonda

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 PM

Credit card offers are good if you have good credit or are from a certain country. Not everyone is that lucky.

If this vet won't take payment plans, maybe see another vet? Get the medical records and get another opinion and mention right away that you need a payment plan. SOME vets have compassion for people that aren't 'privilaged'.
Know this from my own experience with an emergency surgery on one of my cats.

Sending lots of love and prayers for Noah and you especially.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 PM

we have a wonderful vet who will set up payments with people--we have a friend whos dog was hit by a car, he didn't have 2 dimes to rub together and the vet worked a payment with him on a very costly bill--so there are vets out there who want to help. i hope it all works out for you and noah.

Tags
boston terrier, breed dogs