Photos! Nola - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Nola

I know there's Lab in there - the blue eye makes me think husky or aussie?

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Lovin' my pack!

I would guess Husky.

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Gorgeous dog! Seems to love kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Newborn Pup

I say Husky. I had a husky for 13 yrs till my Cocoa passed away and your dogs tail even shows somw husky. :0)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Betta Bomb

She's beautiful You decided to keep her then? That's lovely ")
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Part of the Pack

Cute dog, and I would say husky as well.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

She's so gorgeous! I agree with the possibility of her being mixed with a husky but whatever her mix is, it's very cute!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Yes, we're keeping her. Trying to figure out what to do with her while we're not home (which isn't much, I homeschool). Tried the garage but she busted out a window and dug a hole in the door. Tried a leash but she chewed through 3.

We got a crate today but she won't go near it so that's gonna take a while. I made a trail into it with treats and she went in to eat them, turned around and came out. She won't take a treat from my dh either so I'm wondering what her previous owners (the ones before the last) did to her.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Betta Bomb

It may take a while before she is comfortable having an enclosed den. My dog only wants to be enclosed in something when it is his idea, he sneaks into the bunny pen when he sees the vacuum for example (this is a new behavior for him as well since he used to roll around in front of the vacuum where it ejects the hot air) I do not have a crate but have been reading about them.. .If you leave the crate open and teach the kids to never crawl inside or bother the dog when she does go in (on her own terms) and stays in. She needs to learn that the crate is a good thing and will be HER space. I read this could take some time, especially if she's had a history with them. Her old owners might have left her in for too long where she eliminated and then was punished (this can traumatizing since it is not their fault) or they may have used the crate as a punishment tool and sent her in there for bad behavior which is a BIG no-no!
You are on the right track however with the bone (I replied in the other thread why pigs ears are no good) maybe you can get a Kong and place it in there so she has to go in and lie down to get out the Kong stuffing (peanut butter, wet food, dry treats, etc. . .) or put in her favorite toy. Good luck! I'm sure with a young dog you can make her love a crate!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi View Post
Yes, we're keeping her. Trying to figure out what to do with her while we're not home (which isn't much, I homeschool). Tried the garage but she busted out a window and dug a hole in the door. Tried a leash but she chewed through 3.

We got a crate today but she won't go near it so that's gonna take a while. I made a trail into it with treats and she went in to eat them, turned around and came out. She won't take a treat from my dh either so I'm wondering what her previous owners (the ones before the last) did to her.
Sounds like separation anxiety, look it up and see if you find any good articles . I have a great book but I totally forgot the name so I'll see if I can find it . My cocker had separation anxiety when I first got her and I've dealt with it with almost every foster dog. It's definitely something that can be worked with.

Yeah, start slow with the crate. Toss her treats even when she just goes near it/looks at it. Eventually graduate to tossing the treats into the crate when she does that. Then give her more treats (with all these treats, using part of her meal would actually be better) when she's inside. When she's going inside on her own for treats, close the door and immediately open it, then treat. Increase the time she has to spend in there (but occasionally vary the time and also do shorter times where you leave the room, etc.) before getting a treat. When she's getting to the point where she's in there for a while, have a stuffed Kong or bone (bully sticks are awesome) waiting in there. If you use a clicker, the above works even better---just click and treat!

You can also feed her meals in the crate to build more positive reinforcement. Lead her to it, put in her food dish, and close the door (without locking it at first, just in case she gets nervous) while she eats. If you're giving her a bone or something, do it in the crate. Try to get her spending tons of positive time in there. For now, don't lock her in there while you're gone--you don't want to "ruin" it again since it sounds like she might have had a bad experience.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Is say Husky too!
Lovely pooch!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

She is a gorgeous dog.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

What goofy eyes! She's so pretty

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Tags
aussie, labrador