Is This Normal? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Is This Normal?

Do female dogs normally "hump" objects like boys do? Could this be a sign she's in heat?

I'm fostering a little female chi and she's busy humping on an old cat bed I have. She's most likely not spayed, she was found as a stray and just rescued from death row a couple days ago.

I've never seen a female dog do this, so I'm just curious to know how common this is.

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've seen a female (unaltered) german shepherd do that to a rabbit before... I've heard of other people's dogs doing this, too. I can't really say I know if it's normal or not, though...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I've definitely seen female dogs hump. It's usually a sign of dominance. Though I've never seen a female dominance hump an inanimate object. Maybe it's because the bed smells like a cat, so she thinks she needs to show it who's boss?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Miss New Booty

Well I guess I can say this is normal! Jasmine, my 2 year old papillon does that!!!! I thought originally it was because I wasn't able to get her spayed until after her first heat cycle (the vets thought she had underlying problems and until some tests cleared we couldn't get her spayed) She was 1 when she got spayed. Well, she only tries to hump my other 2 dogs though, not objects. Linda (Deja) told me that it was because she was trying to show dominance with my other 2 dogs!! That is all it is about! It is the craziest thing, to see this cute little girl dog, doing that!

I don't know if the dog not being spayed yet or not, would more likely be why she is humping the cat bed? Hmmm..

Awww you are such a wonderful person to be fostering the doggie.

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

It's perfectly normal...although a bit bizarre! Kali is fixed and humps her son all the time. I've never seen her try to hump anything else though...My friend's min pins have a stuffed dog they hump, but they are boys. One is neutered and the other isn't

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well she didn't seem to happy about the other dogs being around her while she was at the original rescue's house, but I couldn't tell if that was just her personality or because she is emaciated and has possible mange, can't imagine she's "comfortable" with all the scratching going on. But here she is the only dog and seems very content to have my company. So maybe she is more of a dominant girl. That cat bed is the only thing she's humping too. Maybe it is the smell from them. lol It is funny to watch... she's all skin and bones, only has fuzz for fur and she's a whole 4 pounds, poor thing, but she's doing great and very healthy otherwise!

Here she is in the bed I've been talking about:

Bathing in the sun after her medicated bath this morning:

In her sweatshirt keeping warm:

She's not the prettiest to look at now, but she's going to be gorgeous when her fur grows back. We still aren't sure if she has a short or long coat. It's going to be fun watching her blossom!

~Chalupa, Lady, Moxie, Paiseley & Boozer~

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww she's adorable! Claire humps Rebel sometimes, lol. He does it to her too sometimes, she's not fixed yet but she's also already been in heat so I think it's just a dominance thing with her. lol It sure is silly to see!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Awee she's adorable, both our Females hump each other the male dogs ect.. .it is just their way of trying to maintain their dominance is all Although the cat bed thing does kind of throw it off a bit however as mentioned above it could be because it smells like a cat and she is trying to show it whose boss. If it helps one of my mom's doxies just loves teddy bears so your not alone in this situation

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thats so funny. I think its pretty normal though. My female rabbit used to hump my cats before she was spayed and the cats thought she was crazy! She still humps my male rabbit once in awhile even though she's spayed now. Crazy females!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Playful Pup

Nicki humps.... a lot. My husband says "all the time!" Years ago, when she was a pupy, I asked the vet about it. He said, "once she's spayed, she'll stop." Hahahaha. 9 years later, she's still humping things... she especially likes my husband's blankets! I don't know about dominance because she ADORES my husband. She follows him around and would do anything for him. She ignores me, but she'll always do whatever command he asks of her!

Tags
german shepherd, heat cycle, teddy bear