Not eating? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

Question Not eating?

My dog Zoe has not been eating all her food lately. Sometimes she does, sometimes not. Sometimes she doesnt eat any and sometimes just part of it. We spent most the summer at my mom's house where she was with their dog Baby all the time. I wonder if bringing her back here and maybe separating her from Baby is what is affecting her? She acts completely normal and does not act like she feels bad at all or anything. Any ideas why she might not be eating?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Part of the Pack

It could be a lot of things. It could be the hot weather. It can also be that she got separated from her playmate but then the appetite would probably not be the only thing that changes. How's the drinking habit? How long ago did you bring her back?
I would just take her to the vet to rule out any medical issues.

My babies...

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

She got back about 5 days ago. She seems to be drinking fine. She has a vet appointment on Monday to get spayed and I will definately bring it up then. It very likely could also be the hot weather.

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

My dogs eat way less when it is hot. Combine that with her missing her friend and I'd say that's probably the cause. Doesn't hurt to ask the vet though.

Let us know how it goes.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Do you free feed or do you feed on a schedual? Alot of free fed dogs will 'graze' their food. Giving set times with limits helps encourage healthy appetites.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Heat and a bit of lonliness sounds about right... at least she hasn't completely stopped touching the food at all. I hope she's back to normal soon.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
I'll name him Squishy!!

I feed her on a schedule. But whatever she doesnt eat I leave out cuz sometimes it takes her a while to eat cuz she gets easily distracted but when we put her out, we will put out what she didnt eat inside and she usually finishes. she ate almost all of her food last night though i didnt give her quite as much as usual.

She probably weighs about 25 pounds maybe. About how much should I be feeding her?

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Part of the Pack

It really depends on your dog's metabolism and the type of food you feed. I recommend usually feeding a dog what it says on the bag of the food but if your dog isn't overweight I'd keep it the same as you're doing. It also depends on the activity of the dog. Some dogs need to be fed more than others because they are extremely hyper. Others need to be fed less because they are lazy. It just really depends. If a vet sees your dog in person, they might be able to assess how much to feed and if your dog is overweight.
About her not eating as much, it does sound like she's just sad to loose a playmate and the hot weather also plays a role in that.

My babies...