Not eating, Strengthless, just.. lifeless? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Not eating, Strengthless, just.. lifeless?

Okays, I don't know whats wrong with Indie, but he just hasn't eaten in two days.
I don't know whats gone wrong so suddenly, he was doing really well, he had put on weight since we got about two and a half months ago. We had noticed that he didn't get much out of any dog food we gave him, wether it was canned or bagged, or which brand it was, so we've spent loads on him, getting him proper meat from the butchers, making our own gravy and adding veg, ect, just like the vet an person from the shelter suggested and he was gulping it down with no problems, really enjoying it.
After that, he won't eat ANY dog food we give him from any store, no matter how nice it smells. Of corse, we didn't mind, so we have just carried on home cooking for him, and in fact, it's been quite rewarding watching him eat and enjoy what we cook ( Sometimes I think he eats better than I do LOL).
But just two days ago, he just wouldn't eat a thing and he's been like it since. At first we couldn't get a thing through him, he just wouldn't accept it, but in the meantime, he has eaten a few hotdog sausages and thats about it.
Today has been the most concerning. He looks like he has no strength left in him, lost a lot of weight and when we've been on walks he has been totally lifeless, and by that, I mean, he has either been exactly right by my side, or BEHIND me, which is very unlike him. He hasn't eaten enough that he hasn't even needed a poop this evening and he is really, really tired, his nose has been very runny, I can feel and see his ribs and his spine, I'm getting very worried
He's not been sick, no noises from his stomache, I just don't get it. Any idea's?? If you don't know whats up he is going straight to the vets, he's not himself, won't even take treats
Thanks in advance, sorry for the long text.
xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Leo

Call the vet!!!!
There are multiple reasons why a dog refuses to eat some that are life threatening.
CALL THE VET!!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks, we are going to get him to the vet as soon as we can. While there isn't a lot we can do, we've been recommended to give him milk and eggs mixed together, which he has taken and had and hopefully that will keep his protein level up and it's got something through him.
I'm going to try and give him some cheese as the dairy products look hopeful, but I will only feed him a very small amount because I know what to much dairy can do.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've been told to give my dog rice and chicken a couple of times when they weren't feeling well. Maybe you can call the vet and see if that's okay until you get get in. You could probably mix milk, egg and rice together for him.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thank you, you have just reminded me that he did eat a little chicken yesterday, but not much, so thats a good idea, we're phoning the vets right now to see what they suggest.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

You should not give your dog milk!!!! You can try the bland diet as marmilla stated.

Check Them Out

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okay, thank you.
We have just got Indie to eat some cheese, he had some pork and a bit of tuna mayo, so he must be hungry.
The strange thing is that he isn't eating from a bowl, anything he takes has been by hand, or like the tuna mayo, he has lick it of a spoon, but he just won't take it from a bowl which I'm finding incredibly unuaual. He won't take any treats though.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hope the poor pooch starts feeling better soon.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thank you everyone! We called the vets and they said that he would be okay until tomorrow, so at 2:30pm tomorrow, we'll be taking Indie to the vet to get him checked out.
Wish us luck, I'll keep you updated!
Thanks again!xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

*hugs* best wishes

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

We took Indie down to the vets earlier today. They felt his stomache and right down near his intestins, he had a problem and he started whining when they touched it.
They sent us home without Indie and they said they would call us when they have taken X-rays to see what's wrong. Well, some time after, thay rang up. They said that they took the X-rays and apparently he has eaten something that has gone through his body and on it's way it has scratched and scaped him, causing a lot of pain which is why he hasn't been eating, so they've given him pain killers and they said that what ever he has eaten is in his Colony and right at the last stages of digestion, so they think it might pass through over night natarally, but if it doesn't than they might have to think about sergury.
Wish us luck!
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh no, that sounds uncomfortable. I hope he doesn't need surgery! Glad you got him into the vet, though.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oh im glad you got an answer and they can help! my thoughts are with you

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks, I miss him not being here, I hope he can come home soon.
Thanks again for your support
Luv you all
xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
dog, lethargic, not eating