Not getting the hang of it - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Question Not getting the hang of it

I have a chihuahua and he will be eight months on the 18th. We got him at the end of August and I've been trying to housebreak him ever since. I was told that the best time to try is when they have energy to do it so they don't get bored. We bought him one of those new puppy litter pans and on the outside of the pan we place a pee pee pad so if he didn't make into the pan at least he got it on the pad. But then after a while he just stopped going in the pan. So we thought maybe he would rather just use the pads. He did use the pads and he would use the floor. Which we have carpeting, so you can imagine what I go through. But now he sometimes uses his pads, but most of the time now he just pees on the floor. And it's really nasty when you wake up and it's in front of the door. And that's another thing, he now has this thing for going to the bathroom in front of the door. I don't know what to do about it anymore. I need help because I have tried everything and nothing is working. I don't know why he doesn't use his pads anymore.

But I think he know wants to go outside. Because he is couped up in one room all day. He is not allowed to roam the house. And I don't like that. And he is a big puppy to stay in one room all day.

Can somebody please help me out. Does anybody have this problem with their chihuahua? HELP ME!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

well, it sounds as if he might be a little confused. does he get to go outside on lots of walks and to play? you say you don't let him out of that one room. not even supervised? he is more than old enough to roam the house with supervision. he may also just want to go to the bathroom outside.

here are some standard questions that i (or anyone else) will have to know to help you:
*is he crated?
*what is his exercise regimen? even though he's a chihuahua, he still needs play time and exercise.
*are you taking him and putting him on the puppy pads to pee or just letting him decide when to go there? (you want to pick him up and put him there. if he gets off, put him back until he goes).
*are you using a potty command? something like, "go potty".

let us know! hope i (or someone else) can help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM

Search the dog section here for some potty training threads, there are a ton here.

I tried litter box/paper training my Chihuahua and it didn't work well. He would get confused about where it was ok to go inside. IMO, it's easier to teach a dog that it's never OK to potty inside and to always potty outside. There have been some people successfull in paper training/litter box training their dogs but there are many, many more people that have success training their dogs to go outside.

At 8 months, it's really important that you're crating your dog, IMO again. And also, when potty training, you should feed on a schedule... it helps a lot when potty training. YOu don't have to feed on a schedule for the rest of the dog's life, just until they're trained. I free feed all of my dogs now but while potty training all of them were on feeding schedules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I believe it's always best to teach the dog that it's not acceptable to go inside.

As Jodi mentioned, there are a ton of house training threads here.

I believe that no matter which route you choose to take (pee pads or outside), you're going to have to start the training all over. And using a crate when you are not there to supervise him would be best. Dogs will usually hold their bladder while in the crate at least for short periods of time since they do not want to soil their bed.

Then, when you have him out, supervise him all the time. If you see him going to use the bathroom where he shouldn't, either rush him outside or rush him to the peepads. Even if he's done by the time you scoop him up, STILL go ahead and put him where you want him to use the bathroom in the future. When you put him on his designated potty spot, say something like "on the paper" or "on the grass" and start taking the time to put him on these places BEFORE he has an accident. Eventually, he'll learn to associate those words with using the bathroom where you want him to use it.

But do not let him out of your site when he's out. If you can't watch him, you should have a crate to put him in. This is extremely important, especially for little dogs since they can very easily slip out of your sight to potty in a place they shouldn't.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 PM

I dont know much about housebreaking dogs, but good luck!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:10 PM

My Dog uses Wee Wee Pads and Goes outside

I have a 3 year old CockerSpaniel Named Rio. I lived in Las Vegas and he had gotten very sick from being walked in our do" Dog walking area which was where we had to walk our dogs. When he would attempt to go any place other then his wee wee pads we would pick him up and place them on the pads even if he had already gone just like someone elese here had advised. The way I got him to go out doors when I moved into my house , we just kept moving the wee wee pads towards the front door. He eventually figured it out. If you feed your dog let him out 1/2 to 1 hour after if your dog can run around free in a yard you should have no problem with your dog going to the bathroom out doors. Nature usually takes it course.. I still keep wee wee pads down on the floor because its snows and rains alot here and anytime my dogs hair grows long he just tracks mud all over and he hates getting wet. If its raining and I open the door he will run out and then run back banging on the door saying hey let me in its wet out here. So hence if its nasty out he uses his pads. He actually pushes them with his nose afterwards to fold them up after he goes or will come and get me to let me know he went. My dog even though he is a male dog is a squatter which I am happy about cause I dont think his aim would be so great if he wasn't. I wish you good luck. I would also sugest placing a towel or something under your pads if the dog does go in the house since you dont want anything going on the carpet. I tired the doggie litter stuff they have it just made a mess and the dog didnt know what to do with it. Well good luck again. Riosmommy
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice. The only thing is now since we live in New Jersey and the weather is getting warm then it gets cold again, i've been taking him for walks and he doesn't go then but he'll wait until we get back in the house. That annoys me. I tell him when we are out for him to go then but he doesn't. I don't understand what i'm doing so wrong. And now he started to pee on the bed, twice. WHY? I do take him outside and he won't go outside. He did when we first got him and now he doesn't. What can make him go to the bathroom outside? Could it be because there are two other dogs in the house that goes outside? I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I've have tried everything.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 11:40 AM

I have three chihuahua who are all successfully using pee pads in the house. We have extremely cold winters here and bad storms in the spring, so this is the better potty option for us (my dogs are puppymill survivors and very easily spooked by thunder, wind, rain, etc.) Luckily, I only had one "problem child."

She gets spastic about everything and has a difficult time relaxing enough to even let herself go potty, so I had to get creative.

I had some grids (that had previously been used for C&C type guinea pig cages) that I zip tied loosely together to form a play pen and can easily fold for quick use/storage. I set those up surrounding an area of 4 pee pads and would regularly set Mindy inside that area and tell her to "go potty." The grids seems to give her enough comfort and she would go very easily. After she was done I'd fold up the grids and set them aside, just in case she wanted to use the pads herself. After a couple of weeks she figured it out and has been hitting her target on her own ever since.

The grids work perfect for chihuahuas because they are almost 15" high and very portable! My girls have respected the grids representing their boundry line and have never tried to jump them. I use them quite often, not so much for potty pens anymore but to block off entry to the kitchen when I scrub the floor or keep them back if I've steamcleaning carpetted areas, moving furniture, painting walls, or letting the guinea pigs run loose on the floor in their room. It keeps them out of harms way but still giving them a good view of what's going on.

You should definitely consider getting a kennel for your baby and keeping him in there during the night (at least until he's potty trained) and while you're way from home. He doesn't need access to a whole room. He'll sleep. Then when you come home or get up in the morning, you can take him straight to his potty area (inside or outside) and he'll go. He won't want to soil his bed, especially if you consistently use the kennel as his safe place.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

The only thing is that he is confined to one room all day long so he can't even roam through the house. And I think that he wants room to run. I do take him outside but the weather is weird. One day it's warm and the next it's cold, so he can't go out. I've been taking him outside and telling him to "go potty" but he won't. I don't understand. He turned eight months old today and he still isn't fully housebroking yet. Don't get me wrong he does use the pads only at night when we are sleeping and he does it in the same spots. And when we leave the room, he'll use his pads but he won't use it if we are in the room. I think he just wants to be alone when he goes. We were thinking about putting him through classes but then I started to think that he might not like that because then he will be around other people and he is not a nice dog when it comes to other people. "because he doesn't leave the room to see people" NOT MY FAULT, MY BOYFRIEND'S FAULT ...
I'm gonna start taking him out when I wake up in the morning and afternoon and at night. Because he likes when i take him outside. I don't like the fact that he is confined to one room. Could this be his problem why he is not housebreaking easily?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

well, first of all, he's never going to like people if he isn't exposed to them. he needs to be around other people. chihuahuas can get very anti-social if not socialized. this is a breed that HAS to get out there and get used to people. i've heard of so many chihuahuas that bite and attack because owners never took the time to train them. take him to parks, to get the mail, for lots of walks, etc.

if you can enroll him in a puppy class, you REALLY should do it. he will have socialization with lots of types of dogs and people under expert supervision. i would not go with private lessons. he needs to be socialized.

you are still saying that he is confined to one room all day. he should be in a crate. if he's in a room and loose, he will go to the bathroom where ever he wants. if you crate him and only give him enough room to stand and turn around, he will not want to mess in his bed area. you really need to start crating. and you should also have his meals kept on a schedule. keep in mind that a dog should not be crated for more than 7-8 hrs a day (+ over night). he is probably going stir crazy in there if that's the only room he's ever in.

i know that it's hard to walk chihuahuas when it's cold, etc. but even so, you need to. just go get a nice warm sweater from any petstore and take him out. he will warm up from the walking. i take my yorkie out in her sweater when it's snowing and she's fine.

have you read the "sticky" threads in the dogs section yet? read the ones on obedience training and on crate training.

hope this helps. it sounds like you need to make some drastic changes. but i think he'll come around if you are willing to!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahuagrl83
Thank you for all the advice. The only thing is now since we live in New Jersey and the weather is getting warm then it gets cold again, i've been taking him for walks and he doesn't go then but he'll wait until we get back in the house. That annoys me. I tell him when we are out for him to go then but he doesn't. I don't understand what i'm doing so wrong. And now he started to pee on the bed, twice. WHY? I do take him outside and he won't go outside. He did when we first got him and now he doesn't. What can make him go to the bathroom outside? Could it be because there are two other dogs in the house that goes outside? I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I've have tried everything.
i just saw this post!!!

ok first off - the peeing on the bed thing. i went through this! i hated it! he should not be allowed on the bed. trust me. it WILL NOT go away. ask anyone that knows me that was on here long enough. i will find my old thread and let you read it (please keep in mind i was naive and stubborn! ) it sounds like a dominance/marking issue. you said you have other dogs? then that's probably it. are they all allowed on the bed? if you get a crate for the chi, he should be in it overnight.

his not going to the bathroom outside cause the other dogs do is not it. dogs like to go where others go to mark and cover the scent. he should be learning from them. do they all go out together?

when you want him to go outside to go to the bathroom, you need to take him out, stand in ONE spot (same one each time) and say "go potty". that's it. nothing else. just "go potty." give him 30 min and do not walk him, play with him, talk to him. only "go potty." if he doesn't do it, take him back inside for 10 min, then go back out and do the same thing.

you don't want to walk him first or try to get him to go to the bathroom on the walk because you want for him to have a routine. he should always go in the same spot and on command. a walk should be a reward. if you walk him first, then there is no reason to go.

does this help? i hope it works for you! keep us updated.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

here's my old thread. it will answer a lot of the "peeing in the bed" questions. (fyi: Deja used to be the dog moderator here so listen to her! )

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17160

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

There has been many times that i've taking him outside to be around other people. And when we first got him. it was at the end of summer so we took him out more. I did take him out after every meal and after he woke up from his naps. Then the weather started to get cold and I was told that since they are so close to the ground that they can get sick easily. And I was afraid that he would. And I told my boyfriend that we need to buy a warm sweater for him and I got "that he won't fit into any sweater." Which I know is a lie, he just doesn't want my dog to wear clothing.

Our next big problem is that i moved in with my boyfriend and he still lives at home. So things aren't exactly cool. When we first got Loomis, was a very active puppy. He would love to be around people, loved to go outside and play. But for some reason things have changed around here. Loomis did get bigger and he wanted to run more. So in October we went to petsmart and bought a baby gate for Loomis so that we could leave the door open and he could run in and out of the room. At first people were fine with it then the comments started. And the gate was never closed. This even made my boyfriend mad. Even though we would shut the gate so that Loomis could run, his dad would come over and open it and chase Loomis back into the bedroom and then shut the door. So that he could leave the gate open. I was starting to get annoyed because this poor dog had nowhere to play except our room. But the two other dogs have so much more room to play.
- Let me point out that the two other dogs in the house "are not" allowed to roam the house either. They are confined to one area but their area is much bigger then what Loomis has to play in. The other dogs do not come into our room. One has this really bad odor coming from him and the other Chihuahua isn't even close to being housebroken. And he is a year old and Loomis is more housebroken then the other chihuahua.
- Loomis is not allowed to leave the room.
- Loomis gets yelled at by other people in the house.
- He is confined to one area. Which as a child myself, we always had a dog or dogs and they were allowed to roam the hosue with us.
- At this past christmas, my boyfriends family came over for christmas and when I brought Loomis out to see and meet new people, I was told to bring him back into the room because he "will" cause a problem with the other dogs. But yet the other chihuahua was able to stay and play and sit with his family members. So what I did was stay away from them and stayed with my puppy the whole night. I felt that why can't he be with them? What is so wrong with my dog that people have to ignore him and push him away?

I think because I'm always with him day and night, this is why is very attached to me. Anybody that tries to come near me, he feels that he has to come in between me and the other person. He even does this when my boyfriend comes near me.
So I think that from other people in the house being mean to him, this is why he acts the way he does. And I get annoyed with the fact that he is couped up allday. I've been looking for a job and I don't know how he is going to react to the idea of this.

Right now I'm at a total lost. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel so bad for him and he's only a puppy and wants to play. But other people besides me won't even play with him. My boyfriend playes with him, but that's us. Nobody else playes with him. I guess because they don't even play with other two dogs in the house.

Thanks for all the help.
Sheena

Tags
crate training, guinea pig, guinea pig cage, guinea pig cages, litter box, litter box training, litter pan, obedience training, pig cages, potty train, potty trained, potty training