Nothing but Bad News - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Unhappy Nothing but Bad News

The breeder called Sami today to tell him that Ronan had a disease that affects his immunity system, he is on medication but won't be better for another 2-3 weeks, and we can't get him tomorrow.

She said this won't affect his life any once it's over (or is this just the speculation of her vet?), but if we want to choose the other blue merle puppy that is available, we can.

I didn't like that other puppy. I didn't click with his personality. I wanted Ronan the moment I saw him.

I think it's amazing how one little thing can make a good day turn absolutely horrible. I've had nothing but bad news all week (from the US Embassy, mainly), and I guess the fates decided I needed some icing to go on my cake. I was so looking forward to tomorrow. I was going to get up early and even cook breakfast before we left to go to Turku. Everything was planned so perfectly.

Then this.

I don't know what to do. I feel like crying, taking my kitties, and going to bed.

Maybe I wouldn't feel so bad if I knew what the disease was, but no one can tell me anything because they're Finns and their English is crap. *sigh* All I got was that it had to do with his immunity system and it won't be better at least for another 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? What did you do?

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 07:50 AM

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about Ronan and that your picking him up will be delayed until he is better. I don't know much about a disease with the immune system that requires antibiotics. However, Deja one of our moderators will be on later on and she would be the best one to answer that question. I wish Ronan a speedy recovery and hang in there, things will be looking up really soon. Take care
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 08:50 AM

There are several different types of Diseases that can effect various parts of the body including the immune system, like Mary said above Deja might be the one to ask on this one. I am just beginning my Vet Tech classes and am no expert, and haven't worked for a vet for many many years.
Does Sami speak finnish (is that what it's called)? If so maybe you can find out the full details by having Sami call the breeder back...... I wish you luck on your decision and either way I wish for Ronan to have a speedy recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
Does Sami speak finnish (is that what it's called)? If so maybe you can find out the full details by having Sami call the breeder back.
Finnish is his mother tongue, and that's mainly the problem. He can't translate the names of diseases and such. When we had to take Galina to the vet for a bump on her head, he (nor the vet!) could translate for me what the vet had diagnosed the bump as!

I did manage to get out of him that Ronan is being treated with cortisone. He swears to me this isn't serious, but then he mentions that the disease can come back. My reaction is this: for one, if it is not serious, WHY is the breeder wanting to keep him an extra three weeks to dispense medication? Surely she has SOME concern the disease might not go away. And to me, a disease that requires WEEKS of medication is not something to be taken lightly in my book. Perhaps I am wrong for thinking this way, but from my experience, if an animal has to be on medication for a long time, it's pretty serious.

Sami also said something along the lines that this is common in retrievers? I don't know. Sometimes I cannot understand what he is trying to tell me and sometimes he doesn't say it correctly so I misinterpret.

All in all, however, it seems the more I think about this the more pessimisstic I get. I'm really almost to a point where I'm just going to throw up my hands, say forget it, and not get any puppy at all.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh man! i'm sooo sorry about all of this. is there any way for you to take the dog to another vet that speaks english? maybe you can have the vet write down what it is on a piece of paper and you can type it into an online translator. i wish i could help more. i would really try to find an english speaking vet over there.

don't give up on your pup! try some other options first. we are here for you!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 12:09 PM

I was just going to mention what Jane said above about going to another vet if possible.... Here is another idea does the breeder have a computer? If so you can always have the breeder email you and can try translating it online, sometimes the translation may not always be 100% but it will give you a great idea as to what the breeder is trying to tell you. I know freetranslation.com has alot to offer but I don't think they offer the language from Finland, but you can do a search for another program I'm sure....... I still wish you the best of luck in this, that all will be just fine
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 PM

I would think anything that affects the immune system and requires cortizone shots for three weeks is not just a slight illness. But then again in translation things could have gotten screwy. Maybe he means allergies to something. You figure when I was younger I had an allergic reaction to a medication and ended up on cortizone pills for I can't remember how long maybe its along the same lines
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
I was just going to mention what Jane said above about going to another vet if possible.... Here is another idea does the breeder have a computer? If so you can always have the breeder email you and can try translating it online, sometimes the translation may not always be 100% but it will give you a great idea as to what the breeder is trying to tell you.
Well, the vet that spayed Gerona has all right English. We decided to go see the puppy tomorrow, anyway, to decide whether or not we will wait and keep him, take his brother instead, or decide to have neither. I suppose if we decide we might want to keep Ronan, we can ask the breeder if we can take him to our vet for a second opinion.

Also, Sami SMS'd the breeder and she sent us an e-mail with further details. I'll get back to all of you on that later. I know it's in Finnish and it might take a while for Sami and me to pick together all of it to get it in English. I would use an on-line translater, but Finnish is such a difficult language that there isn't one that can translate sentences! Just single words in their pure form.

I know the poor breeder is just as upset about this as we are. When she called Sami, she was almost in tears. This is her second puppy ever to have something wrong with it. The other puppy was from a litter five years ago, and it had CEA (Collie Eye Anomaly).

We may decide to take Ronan's brother. The interesting thing about him is that he WAS reserved, but the family that reserved him cancelled it because they found a breeder closer to where they lived (this happened this week, also). There are not that many differences in their appearances--Ronan's brother has two blue eyes instead of one and not QUITE the full white collar around his neck (but it's close), and he's a little smaller, but not by much.

We'll come to a decision tomorrow.

I'm also including a chart comparing their pictures, just so everyone can see the other puppy. What do you think? :\

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

SMALL UPDATE:

Ronan's condition is called juveneeli celliitti and there is only ONE other case of a sheltie puppy having it in Finland. However, the breeder said this is common in retreivers and rottweilers.

Prospects of Ronan getting over the disease are so-so, if the medication works all the way, he will never have a bout of it again. However, due to the unstability of the disease, you can never really be sure. Her vet told her that he will more than likely lead a normal life (the vet even has a dog that has this). They don't know what causes it, but the disease is not hereditary. However, the vet said he would not breed Ronan at all.

After learning a bit more, Sami and I decided it may be best if we take Ronan's brother. While we didn't originally plan on breeding, I was interested in showing. I don't really feel comfortable showing a dog that I know can never be bred and should be neutered instead.

The breeder plans on keeping Ronan for at least another three weeks in order to make sure his medications are given correctly. She said after that she may keep him herself, or, like she did with her sheltie that had CEA, give him to a good family for free on the basis that they have him neutered.

We should be going there tomorrow. I'll post more on these happenings later.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 12:49 AM

I have no advice at all... but I just wanted to send you some "vibes"... hope everything turns out ok.

Just one question... do you know for sure that they are both "show quality" so to speak?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandysMom
Just one question... do you know for sure that they are both "show quality" so to speak?
The puppies have champions in their background. However, "show quality" in Finland is more determined by how they do in shows than their overall background. And the rules for getting your dog registered with Finland's registry is much more strict than it is with the AKC. Dogs must be at least a year and a half old before being bred, for puppies to receive full registration they must be examined by a vet for eyes and such (many tests depend on the breed and what diseases are common for that breed) and the documentation sent to the registry, and I believe the parents have to be screened for health problems that can only be detected at the adult stage at least once prior to being bred for the first time.

So really, the only differences in "show quality" puppies and "pet quality" puppies is health. Ronan is now "pet quality" because he cannot be bred by recommendations of the breeder's vet.

It all depends on how the puppy does in the ring. If he doesn't do well, it's okay, his status to breeders is of no importance to me. I only care about his status as my pet.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your pup, and I know how frustrating it is when you want to know something and there is a language barrier. I don't know if this will help or if you have tried this already but here is a link to a Finnish English translator http://finnishtrans.8bit.co.uk/testfintrans.html
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

He is sooooo cute, my brother and I bought one of those for my mother about 5 yrs ago, she follows my mom around like she's tied to her or soemthing, I hope everything works good fo ryou.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli
she follows my mom around like she's tied to her or soemthing, I hope everything works good fo ryou.
Yes, Seamus (what we named Ronan's brother) follows me around ONLY if I'm outside. In the apartment, he's too busy playing with the cats. The only place he will follow me to in the apartment is the bathroom, and that's only because he wants to try and get into the cat litter box (and because there's something wrong with my animals and their fascination with me in the bathroom).

Thank you, everything did work out. We got a little stinker--oops, I mean a sweet, cute, cuddly puppy.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

pihlaja Hope things are going well with your new puppy! Had to laugh about the bathroom, I have trouble going potty at work or in public places because there's no animal in the bathroom with me!There have been times all four of them follow me in there!

Tags
litter box, pet quality, vet tech