Odd Dog Behavior - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Odd Dog Behavior

Ok so as meny of you know we are training a new dog names papi and he is a 1 1/2 old and not potty trained.

he is almost completely potty trained in the house. a few accidents but not to many or that often. But i was out with him and i took him into a larger building than the house more like the size of a school and it was like he had forgotten all of his potty training. without warning and without even sniffing he squatted and peed in the middle of the hall. then he tried to poo the same way but i was able to get him outside just in enough time to keep him from pooing inside.
Most dogs i know give signs that they're are going to go they sniff they do something he just squatted and went without doing anything. and he only seems to try and potty in a building now if it is larger floor space wise then the house is except for a few times in the house. Whats up with that? any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

anyone?

Pet's name:
Baby

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Betta Bomb

Not sure, how old is he? Maybe its a medical condtion?? Im sorry I didnt even quite understand the problem TBH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok lemme try and phrse whats going on differently.

1. we crate him at night and when we're gone
2. we punish him when he goes potty inside
3. we take him out every few hours so he gets that his business is to be done outside
4. he is getting good about it no inside(the house) accidents.
5. When ever i take him to similarly floor spaced buildings he is fine
6. when i take him to bigger floor spaced buildings he just stops and potties and doesn't seem to translate the potty training rules from home
7. Help, what do i do
8. why isn't he transferring the rules to bigger buildings
9. all other dogs I've had have given signs to say hey i need to go git me out
10. he doesn't he just goes

Pet's name:
Baby

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my pup doesn't show signs either, but he is only 11 weeks old. He went to petsmart and pottied on the floor, i think it was the excitement and nervousness of being in a new area that he couldn't hold it. But luckily they have woopsie stations.

[/CENTER]

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ya if only the places i go to have those.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Betta Bomb

Hmm, My dog is still iffie about new large floor spaces and he's 12 years old. I think theres a a tonne of contributing factores to this : how do you discipline your dog when he pees inside your house and how do you react when he does the same thing in a large building? It should be consistant. Also, as Kendalle said, excitement and new territory and smells will excite his bladder.!! ^.^ Im not sure but I think it might need work in the stationary discipline area... Let us know
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well we tell him no show him what he has done and rubb his nose in it then take him outside for 10-20 min then while he is out we clean and disinfect the area so there isn't a smell anymore. we also take him out every few hours but when school starts he is going to have to get use to being inside from 6:30 am to 2 pm and from 3 pm to 8:30 pm like the rest of our dogs and school for me starts Sept. 2nd. and sometimes he will be going to school with me for service dog training work so he can get use to a more crowded environment and i can't have him peeing and pooing in the school

Pet's name:
Baby

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Betta Bomb

You should NEVER rub a dogs nose in his pee. That will most certainly NOT 'teach' him anyhting more than that his masters are mean. Heres some links I searched for you,
http://www.seefido.com/dog-discussio...ted-t5550.html
http://www.oes.org/page2/715~Peeing_When_Excited.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1211758AAKCJ51

Hope these help
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

It seems that some dogs, instead of learning "I have to go outside ALL the time", instead learn "I can't go to the bathroom inside this particular house". So they will know not to go inside your home, but won't really translate that to not going inside any building. Does that make sense?

Before you take him into diffrent buildings, do you walk him around outside so he has a chance to go outside before he goes in? If he goes outside, praise him like crazy. If he goes inside, calmly take him outside and wait for him to finish outside, and praise him when he does. If I catch my dog going inside, I clap my hands and tell him "no", and take him outside. That's the extent of my discipline, I never rub his nose in it or anything. If he goes outside though, he gets a treat and lots of praise.

It honestly sounds to me like you just need more time and to work with him more untill he gets it. If you can, try taking him to friends houses and into diffrent buildings and working on his training there as well, so that hopefully soon he will understand that he always has to go outside no matter what building he's in.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
You should NEVER rub a dogs nose in his pee. That will most certainly NOT 'teach' him anything more than that his masters are mean. Heres some links I searched for you,

Hope these help

Its the technique my mom and my grandma have used with all of their/our dogs and non of our dogs have had an issue with fear usually they transfer potty training rules from the house to the outside world with out an issue and they have no fears

Pet's name:
Baby

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
It seems that some dogs, instead of learning "I have to go outside ALL the time", instead learn "I can't go to the bathroom inside this particular house". So they will know not to go inside your home, but won't really translate that to not going inside any building. Does that make sense?

Before you take him into diffrent buildings, do you walk him around outside so he has a chance to go outside before he goes in? If he goes outside, praise him like crazy. If he goes inside, calmly take him outside and wait for him to finish outside, and praise him when he does. If I catch my dog going inside, I clap my hands and tell him "no", and take him outside. That's the extent of my discipline, I never rub his nose in it or anything. If he goes outside though, he gets a treat and lots of praise.

It honestly sounds to me like you just need more time and to work with him more untill he gets it. If you can, try taking him to friends houses and into diffrent buildings and working on his training there as well, so that hopefully soon he will understand that he always has to go outside no matter what building he's in.
yes we potty him outside before hand

Pet's name:
Baby

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
You should NEVER rub a dogs nose in his pee. That will most certainly NOT 'teach' him anyhting more than that his masters are mean. Heres some links I searched for you,

Hope these help
I agree. Rubbing their nose in it isn't the best way and it is kind of mean, I mean you wouldn't rub your childs face in their mess why do it to you pets?

When you see him starting to 'go' say no in a firm voice and jerk on the leash and quickly take him outside. Lots of prize when he does the right thing.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
I agree. Rubbing their nose in it isn't the best way and it is kind of mean, I mean you wouldn't rub your childs face in their mess why do it to you pets?

When you see him starting to 'go' say no in a firm voice and jerk on the leash and quickly take him outside. Lots of prize when he does the right thing.

a pet is different than a child. and i my child was pottying in the house or in buildings they would be punished for it.

we do praze him when he goes potty outside.

Pet's name:
Baby

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Betta Bomb

No, I dont think there's much differnce in training a puppy as to a child to use potty or outside. At least a child can understand your language when you explain the potty. Puppy has no way of translating your anger to his mess in the house.
As for the generations thing, for generations the Hutu's and the Tutsi's in Africa have been fighting and in India the Hindi's against the Muslims. This doesnt make it right-when a positve and a clearer headed alternative is found people favor it(protesting the war, making a change to stop such). Rubbing a dog's nose in his pee MAY eventually "train" it but there are positive alternatives, the most effective being a scolding.

Tags
dog, peeing, potty training