Odie gave us a big scare today - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Odie gave us a big scare today

Today, we were practicing the dental cleaning, and we were doing our own dogs. So, I took Odie. We anesthetized him with 2cc of Ketamine/Valium mix and started... when we were finishing, he started waking up, so the Dr. gave him 1 more cc of the mix, and almost immediately he had an allergic reaction. He's eyes swolled up (almost 3 times their size, 3rd eyelid out), he's lymphatic glands also swolled, he started gasping... vomited... The Dr. rushed us to finish the dental, while he gave him benadryl, dexamethasone SP and Epinefrine, to stop the reaction and stimulate his respiratory and circulatory sistem. He took a bit of time to get out of the anesthesia... but everything went back to normal while we waited. He has been all funny during the day, but is slowly coming back to normal... Did some funny stuff like peeing while walking and does, wetting everything (now he's stoping on his pee pad to pee... lol), also, when he tried to get up the bed, he would hit himself against the side and fall back down... he can get up the bed now too... but he's still a bit out of it... I think he's still seeing pink elephants... Anyway... it was a big big big scary moment today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 AM

Wow thats very scary!! I am so glad to hear everything turned out alright!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:00 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

I'm glad he's okay...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Thank goodness he's ok!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I'm glad he's okay! How scary!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

ah! That is terrifying but glad that Odie is recovering and will be okay.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Aspires to Change Oil

ah! That is terrifying but glad that Odie is recovering and will be okay.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:51 AM

yeah I bet it was for you, I'm glad he is getting now
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's so scary! I'm glad he's ok.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That must have been really scary. Glad to hear he's doing well.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Glad to hear he is doing ok now!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Poor lil Odie. Thank goodness he's alright.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to you all.

Odie has been a bit depressed since last wednesday, and he has been peeing a LOT. I took him to the vet yesterday and he did a cbc and SMA-12... everything is normal... he's very healthy... The Dr. told me that the Dexamethasone is supposed to make him drink a lot of water and pee a lot, but only for 3-4 days and it was odd that it has been a week and he is still peeing a lot. He did gave me some Clavamox cause he always gives that to dogs after they have a dental cleaning cause the mouth has a lot of bacteria that they swallow during the cleaning. Today Odie seems a lot more active and playful than he has been during the last week. 8) But he is still peeing too much.